26C3 Carbon Steel - Spicy White

LOL. I have pretty much given up on hand sanding CFV now that I have discovered the cork belt trick. Maybe the same with this stuff. :D What temperature did you use for 63-64?
I just finished heat treating and doing some initial grinding (all post HT) on my first one and it was dead straight out of quench and temper and hasn't shown a tendency to warp during grinding thus far.
Only one blade but so far so good.
I followed Chuck's protocol of 1475 aus into P50 with RC67 as quenched. After temper X 2 it's reading RC63-64.
So far it's grinding like higher alloyed steel ie chewing through belts. I haven't yet tried to hand sand it but I'm sure it's going to be some work. Our pain is the customers gain :D

I just finished heat treating and doing some initial grinding (all post HT) on my first one and it was dead straight out of quench and temper and hasn't shown a tendency to warp during grinding thus far.
Only one blade but so far so good.
I followed Chuck's protocol of 1475 aus into P50 with RC67 as quenched. After temper X 2 it's reading RC63-64.
So far it's grinding like higher alloyed steel ie chewing through belts. I haven't yet tried to hand sand it but I'm sure it's going to be some work. Our pain is the customers gain :D

Thanks for the info.

I'm curious to see how durable the edge is at 63 - 64.

I'll order some today and give it a try!

I’m definetly gunna order some as soon as the thicker stock comes in. Been waiting for a steel like this!

Kevin

Big shout out to alpha knife supply
When i made my first order for steel i wanted to lessen the shipping costs ...

so i picked some steels like a begginer does and kept clicking until the shipping price doubled then went back one.......

well about 70 ft worth of steel made it up to Alaska no problem! It was the best wraping job almost too well wrapped

with kitchen knives being one area I want to focus in this steel sounds great and will snag a few peices when i make my handle material order this week !

My test of edge stability (didn't test edge retention for normal uses) of a small blade in 26C3 64.5rc (400F tempered). cut a bunch of newspaper and cardboard = passed. whittled pork rib bone: marrow end = passed, hard end = ripple. Here is result of failure mode testing

XutFe1S.jpg

* note: fractured neutral axis is very close to center line.

Tentatively put 26C3 edge stability a tiny bit lower than w2, 10xx, 52100. It was easy to get this edge very sharp - in a way more similar to blue#2 than 52100, ok a hair splitting assessment ;)

I'm curious to see how durable the edge is at 63 - 64.

Attachments

• upload_2019-5-15_17-16-38.png
    upload_2019-5-15_17-16-38.png
    114.3 KB · Views: 11
Thanks for the detailed information.

Seems like a great steel for a dedicated slicer.

Robert, I value your opinion. What was your temper temp? I’m guessing 400f but just wanted to clarify for the threads sake and for future reference.

Can I ask an honest question? What is the benefit in using this steel? If you have to heat treat it in an oven anyway, why not use stainless?

Back