Full Time Knifemaker
Thick knives coming up!

024_zps4ee045ae.jpg

Two harpoon tips, one is already spoken for

020_zpse5c9792b.jpg

Two THICK tantos!

025_zpsb262949a.jpg

Ho-LAY *** :eek: That's some thick steel you got there :D

I'm curious what hardness you plan to take these to when finished. I'm planning to start using some A2 soon and I'd like to know how you think using stock that thick affects what hardness you can take it to.

Ho-LAY *** :eek: That's some thick steel you got there :D

I'm curious what hardness you plan to take these to when finished. I'm planning to start using some A2 soon and I'd like to know how you think using stock that thick affects what hardness you can take it to.

Here is a great link to some data http://www.bucorp.com/files/aisi_a2.pdf

If I am reading the CCT Chart correctly any A2 in knife thickness should be fine hardening wise, it looks like you have 10 minutes to complete the quench.

You can hit 64 or more with A2 then there is sub zero which can give you a point or two more HRC with increased toughness as well.

I'll go to about 60 Rc for these. As always I'll hit the highest RC possible combined with the best grain size (middle of the road to low temps with long soak times) then double temper for 150 minutes each cycle to hit 60Rc. I'll probably do a snap temper, sub zero, temper, water cool, sub zero then one more temper for maximum gnarl.

I'm debating quenching at full thickness, I know they will be some work to grind.

A2 is great stuff, Hartsfield used it for just about everything and it is just excellent all around material. One of his blades saved a life by taking a bullet! I want to use more and more A2, I am really happy with the material.

Very interesting read, apparently it is a little tougher then D2, which surprised me. It doesn't seem to be as wear resistant though but tradeoffs have to be made somewhere and I prefer easier to sharpen steels. I look forward to watching these progress!

Very interesting read, apparently it is a little tougher then D2, which surprised me. It doesn't seem to be as wear resistant though but tradeoffs have to be made somewhere and I prefer easier to sharpen steels. I look forward to watching these progress!

Yes cool isn't it! A2 is very flexible material for anything... swords, big choppers to tiny slicers. One thing I like about tool steels is the high standards to which they are made, you really can't go wrong.

Yeah one thing about wear resistance is that it is usually a trade off with toughness. Carbides seem to be the factor, D2 has big Cr Carbides so it wears really well and stays sharp forever but is not quite as tough. (but still tougher than most steels) Heat treat plays a big factor and I feel that A2 is one that can be pushed further than most machinists data suggests, just like S7.

one thing I always think of is that while D2 isn't as tough as A2 it is Die forming steel, the steel that forms other steel! If it can be trusted in a multi million dollar factory to crank out thousands of parts everyday just think of how good it is for a knife! :D And A2 is even tougher!

Taking a break from shaping scales here, I shape the fronts and backs before I grind the flats... less scratches to redundantly grind that way.

Man I'm itchy! Carbon Fiber

Man those are all looking waaaaaaay to cool! Love the look of the CTEK and the twill is just amazing!

Dang. I'm going to try and save up some money for one of those tantos, they are going to be killer!

So if Matt takes one of the tantos, is the other one going to be available?

Please say no. The cobwebs in my wallet have taken up permanent residence there, I'm afraid.:D

And that twill really is fantastic!

Man those are all looking waaaaaaay to cool! Love the look of the CTEK and the twill is just amazing!

Dang. I'm going to try and save up some money for one of those tantos, they are going to be killer!

Just let me know, they will run $150 plus shipping (usually $8) Thanks!

So if Matt takes one of the tantos, is the other one going to be available?

Please say no. The cobwebs in my wallet have taken up permanent residence there, I'm afraid.:D

And that twill really is fantastic!

LOL!

I think both will be available for $150 each with Kydex.

I'm trying to shoot for a low price point to move these fast, I have big plans...

Daniel, I have no willpower and at that price it's no wonder! I'll take the one in the left hand picture in post #9 if it's up for grabs. If not, the other one works as well. Heck, they're both going to be stupid cool, so how can ya go wrong?

Big plans? Are we talking something "big" in size or a big plan? Or is it big (wakis) plans for things big (wakis) in size (wakis)?

If one of these are still available when they are complete I'll see if I can swing the scratch. Don't hold one for me though :moody:

Whoz getting that lil shank?

You mean whose getting an early Christmas present and the Post Office better not loose it like they did my last knife that finally took a week to track it down before I got it? I dunno, but if the United States Postal Service of Santa screws up this delivery I'll be barbecuing a reindeer Southern style! :D

Last edited:
LMAO!!!

I have been mostly working on a warped knife/heat treat/regrinding type of thing but yesterday afternoon and evening I got a lot of grinding done.

Rough...

011-20.jpg

007-26.jpg

Nice!!!

I just got in from the shop, only 7:15 here but it feels late!

I worked on the scales of the tantos and the CF Poon tip. They look killer...

Waiting on belts for the mirror finish poon tip with purple ctek, I have it looking great but decided to belt finish to 2000 grit before buffing for maximum bling.

Nice!!!

I just got in from the shop, only 7:15 here but it feels late!

I worked on the scales of the tantos and the CF Poon tip. They look killer...

Waiting on belts for the mirror finish poon tip with purple ctek, I have it looking great but decided to belt finish to 2000 grit before buffing for maximum bling.

Back