.38 Special!!

That cocabolo looks great, I'm going to surprise my wife with one of these for her B-day, she like wooden handled folders. Nice photo's Harry.
My Wife and I think that would be a good choice my friend . Nancy is the one who picked this knife out when she saw it while we were in the GEC Store . The covers are actually Mexican Bacote .

Harry

How stout a knife does this feel in use? I can’t tell if it’s virtually a toothpick/fillet style blade, or if the blade is stouter than it looks. All help appreciated, as this has become a slow burning grower on me!

How stout a knife does this feel in use? I can’t tell if it’s virtually a toothpick/fillet style blade, or if the blade is stouter than it looks. All help appreciated, as this has become a slow burning grower on me!

The above post illustrates it pretty well . It's not a dainty knife, but then again, neither is the #12 toothpick that GEC makes. Have you ever had a 48, or even one of the newer 82s? Blade is very similar, and pretty standard GEC sick thickness. If anything, because it isn't as broad (tall) as a regular clip blade, it'll have just a touch more meat on the tip. The 38 frame is an elegant one and a pleasure in hand, almost 4 inches long.

If I wanted a knife to call "stout", though, I'd reach for one of the Sodbuster sizes, either the 71 or 21.

The above post illustrates it pretty well . It's not a dainty knife, but then again, neither is the #12 toothpick that GEC makes. Have you ever had a 48, or even one of the newer 82s? Blade is very similar, and pretty standard GEC sick thickness. If anything, because it isn't as broad (tall) as a regular clip blade, it'll have just a touch more meat on the tip. The 38 frame is an elegant one and a pleasure in hand, almost 4 inches long.

If I wanted a knife to call "stout", though, I'd reach for one of the Sodbuster sizes, either the 71 or 21.

I had one of the #12 toothpicks years ago, and it felt too flimsy to me. I also have a 73, whose blade feels a little bendy....

I have a 71 and love it. Like the look of this as a classier option.

I also have a 73, whose blade feels a little bendy....

I know from personal experience that the pivot/bone and handle liners will definitely long before that blade will. I destroyed a 92 talon with a wharncliffe blade once, and it wasn't the blade that broke... 1095 is pretty tough stuff, and none of these blades are long enough to really flex the same way a fillet knife would.

I know from personal experience that the pivot/bone and handle liners will definitely long before that blade will. I destroyed a 92 talon with a wharncliffe blade once, and it wasn't the blade that broke... 1095 is pretty tough stuff, and none of these blades are long enough to really flex the same way a fillet knife would.
How did you manage that?

Might have to pull the trigger....

I ended up with two of these. Wife wanted one (shocked) after she saw mine. It's her user. Surprised at how often she uses it. A bit disappointing sometimes because it eats into my knife guy saves the day time. The other day she was getting ready to cut tags off clothes and I stuck my hand in my pocket to give her my knife, but she already had hers ready to go :(

t1Mcukz.jpg

I no longer have any 38s. The two I did have (Bocote and Indian Paintbrush Red) were both gifted to friends.

I have a Tidioute red linen 38 special, its a great knife. Classy design, and looks good dressed up as a Northfield or down as a Tidioute. Its slim but not too thin, its just the right length for a good hold and the blade size is pretty efficient. It makes for an excellent cutter, with a pretty thick blade. I think a 38 would be a good dressy knife or a worker. GEC did a great job on this one, and mine is one of the nicest knives Ive ever seen. The single blade models can be found fairly cheaply too, since they dont seem to be too popular, and theyre simple knives. Itd make a good first GEC.

I have a Grindling whittler in ebony. It's my favorite GEC, flawless in design and execution. Wish they'd do it again in smooth ivory bone. I'd be all over it.

Back