.38 Special!!

waynorth

Dealer / Materials Provider
Nope, this is not a gun thread. It's about a very traditional knife!

A lot of you have already heard the rumblings of the new pattern coming out. I don't really have any pictures yet, but we are putting the final touches on a Special Factory Order.

Who is we??
Lyle and Me!!
What's it gonna be??
Just you wait and see!!

The Grinling whittler is coming first, a special for the Oregon Knife Club, another similar SFO for a member of that club, and a version for Great Eastern in general. Then, on that same handle pattern, a Chapman Farmer's Jack!!
Cock-a-Doodle-Doo!!

I will post pics as they become available. Meanwhile, you Keyboard Wizards, you Internet Intellects; please post as things pop up on GEC's sites! (Maybe I'll learn some of your tricks some day . . . . .sigh . . . . .:eek:)

This sounds exciting! Can't wait to see what y'all are up to! :)
Charlie, are you talkin' about this one?

OKCA20201520CLUB20KNIFE_01_zpsvizzx1ku.jpg

If so, I am totally intrigued! :thumbup:

Last edited:
How intriguing...hopefully GEC's version will do proper homage to those gorgeous old farmer's jacks Lyle keeps teasing us with.

Can't wait!

I noticed that one on the GEC website. So the Farmer's Jack is regular production, not a SFO? Can't wait!

The knife with many alias',now a .38 special! I like it,and it is special,in many ways.

Exciting,a little intimidating, and fun. I grin...

Last edited:
The knife with many alias',now a .38 special!

Uh-Oh.

Have we already gone to press? ;)

Great news, Charlie. I'm still a little confused about the various names [and iterations, and channels] flying around, but I'm confident that-- just as in days of old-- More Will Be Revealed.

:D

~ P.

Just to clarify:
FJs;
The Northfield Farmer's Jacks will be SFOs. There will be two versions with slight variations, some chosen by Lyle (the master of the FJ!) and some by me (jack of all trades, master of none!:D)

The Tidioutes will be GEC's version.

Whittlers;
But who was Grinling?? :D
(as far as the Whittler version being made, before the Farmer's Jacks get built.)

FJs;
And who was Chapman?? :D

Both of these people have been discussed before so this is a test!
Who remembers?? (no fair googling!!:D)

Thanks for the drawing import, Duane!!

The myths about him abound!!
That's him, Jamie!
I wonder if he really wore a pot on his head??:confused:

Appleseed%202_zpsbcyx37nd.jpg

:D

Grinling anyone?

Grinling was a legendary whittler. Yeah. That's the ticket. He whittled the trans-continental railroad with his golden knife forged for him by Paul Bunyan.... Um, yeah, or something like that.

Grinling was a famous European wood carver, known for doing the work at St. Paul's Cathedral in London, among others.

Close, Rachel!!
Right Liam!!
That's part of St. Pauls at the bottom.
He lived from 1648 to 1721.
He carved for palaces and cathedrals, as well as private works.
Grinling Gibbons.
Big;
Grinling%20Gibbons%20Hampton%20Court_zpsuzh9nj4o.jpg

Bigger;
Grinling%203_zpslvetmy1q.jpg

Biggest!
Grinling%204_zpsvousntqg.jpg

He could be the most famous "whittler" of all recorded history!

Wonder if his descendents would be interested? Jack... or I wonder if John Chapman has any descendents?

Back