3v HRC Debacle

Anyone else wondering why these numbers 58-55 = 3
Is it some kind of compound heat treatment? Otherwise, seems like a lot of wiggle room, which already scores minus points in my book and there is no need for getting into further details.
Somone educate me, because it doesn't spell quality to me.

If you think about it though, it's actually a 4 point spread. It could be 55, 56, 57, or 58.

And crucible says 60 is best...I’m curious if the test being done through the cerakote had an impact, that doesn’t seem like the most “pure” test.

Bigger question overall for me is why did they use 3V on this knife anyway? S30V would have been fine, probability more logically really.

I think people smarter than I have said that testing through the cerakote probably did have an impact on the HRC results, but probably not to the point of lowering it more than 1 point on the scale. I'd say that in this case it probably wasn't significant, mainly because the test confirmed that that particular knife was in the given range of 55-58 HRC.

As for the second part: marketing. How many other companies make a folder with 3V? I can only think of one.

If you think about it though, it's actually a 4 point spread. It could be 55, 56, 57, or 58.

Not to be too caught up in semantics, but it's still a 3 point spread, as in the distance between 55 and 58 HRC is only 3 points. You're right that it can be any of 4 integers between the two points, as in 55/56/57/58 HRC.

Similarly, a 59-60 HRC range is a single point spread, not a two point spread.

Speaking only from my personal experience, I have been underwhelmed with the Contego in M390. Edge retention hasn't been nearly as good as some of my other knives in the same steel.

Speaking only from my personal experience, I have been underwhelmed with the Contego in M390. Edge retention hasn't been nearly as good as some of my other knives in the same steel.
Because there m390 is purposely heat treated to a lower rc than there 20cv. Someone mentioned that in the other thread with a quote from the Benchmade forum. Higher toughness for m390 and higher edge retention for 20cv. Why would they even do that, I dunno.

Alright guys. I have been out of the office and now catching up on things. Our actual 3V heat treat spec is currently 56-59 HRc.

Because there m390 is purposely heat treated to a lower rc than there 20cv. Someone mentioned that in the other thread with a quote from the Benchmade forum. Higher toughness for m390 and higher edge retention for 20cv.

Has anyone tested their 20cv or M390? The Valet claims 60-62 while the Doug Ritter grip claims 61-62. Both are M390.

Has anyone tested their 20cv or M390? The Valet claims 60-62 while the Doug Ritter grip claims 61-62. Both are M390.
Check out... tomhosang tomhosang yt channel as well as supersteel Steve and outpost 76 on youtube. Iirc the Valet hasn't been tested. The information I was referring to is the one in there product guide download able pdf from Benchmade.

I have tested their 20CV in my Anthem. Supposed to be 59-61 HRC. I got 212 feet which is very poor compared to the Bradford Guardian I tested in M390 that averaged out to 267 between 2 tests.

If bm is selling you what you are getting and they are doing the ht on purpose, I don't see how this is a debacle. Don't like it, don't buy it.

True, but it would be good to hear Benchmade explain their decision making on this, given the conventional wisdom on ideal RC hardness for 3V.

True, but it would be good to hear Benchmade explain their decision making on this, given the conventional wisdom on ideal RC hardness for 3V.
I believe they have as was just posted. There are now 3 threads going on about this subject. It's a bit confusing.

Personally, I get my 3v from someone who truly optimizes it. I don't like what benchmade has done with this 3v. That said, they are up front and honest about what they have done. I don't see the problem.

It all comes down to: if you don't like it, don't buy it. And if you don't do your research and don't understand what you are buying, you are screwing yourself.

It’s like a second witch hunt on them, I don’t get it. Do y’all complain to Toyota for not putting a v8 in the prius? No if u don’t like it ignore it and move on!
As I’ve already said I bought one and it’s great, it cuts. And I’m no metallurgist or chemist but I noticed no problems with it. It’s edge holding is actually pretty damn good.
Just my opinions

Back