4.7 Mystery Steel Reveal Day - April 22!

Totally guessing here as I have no idea how much this steel costs but Bohler R-100 has 1% carbon and is similar to 52100 but has not seen much use in knife making.

I just ordered mine and I'm not concerned about the steel being used. I think it would even be cooler if Survive didn't announce what kind of steel was used but put a note in the box along with the knife when it shipped. It would make it more of a surprise.

Still available... Very tempting! Im on a stupid stainless kick right now though... Hmmm

I was not going to say anything but it's probably worth noting.

Based on some of the hints given away I had a suspicion the secret steel is O1. If heat treated properly, and I know Guy is all about new HT on 3v this could be an awesome combination. Holding a fine edge, no issues with corrosion due to cerakoting, this thing could be super tough.

But with the recent purchase of 6 CRKs, 2 GSOs preordered and a Bark River due today, I can't really afford to splash out on something I don't know what it is. If I had less incoming, I would for sure.

I think whatever it is, it was very likely worth it. If or one an very curious to see which way they went.

I snagged one. I wish the secret was revealed upon shipment to the owner as stated above. The mystery is part of the fun for me. It could be really cool when they reveal it and everyone wishes they ordered it. On the other hand, it could just be a "Meh" reaction. Either way I wil have a unique, very useable knife at a great price. Survive has yet to offer anything but top notch materials and craftsmanship even in their budget line.

I snagged one. I wish the secret was revealed upon shipment to the owner as stated above. The mystery is part of the fun for me. It could be really cool when they reveal it and everyone wishes they ordered it. On the other hand, it could just be a "Meh" reaction. Either way I wil have a unique, very useable knife at a great price. Survive has yet to offer anything but top notch materials and craftsmanship even in their budget line.

+1
Yeah I ordered one also - i didn't get in on the 4.7 because I liked the look of the 5.1 more so this way i can check the design out and depending on the steel type once revealed i can either keep it or move it on. It is a Survive! after all and like you said it's top notch no matter what.

Well, the knife is scheduled to ship at the end of May, about one month after the announcement. You could always cancel your order of you are disappointed in the steel I suspect.

I figure it could always go into a BOB or similar. Ahhhh might as well order one.

Well, the knife is scheduled to ship at the end of May, about one month after the announcement. You could always cancel your order of you are disappointed in the steel I suspect.

I figure it could always go into a BOB or similar. Ahhhh might as well order one.

Hopefully folks will be willing to give it a try instead of cancelling the order. We are pretty impressed with the steel so far, but some people may not like it simply because they've never used it before. That is why we came up with the 30 secret steel test samples.

Hopefully folks will be willing to give it a try instead of cancelling the order. We are pretty impressed with the steel so far, but some people may not like it simply because they've never used it before. That is why we came up with the 30 secret steel test samples.

Ellie,
Have you gotten many reviews yet. Apart from my ad-hoc cutting test and another video review, I haven't seen much. What's the word back from the testers?

Ellie,
Have you gotten many reviews yet. Apart from my ad-hoc cutting test and another video review, I haven't seen much. What's the word back from the testers?

Not too much. There are still a few to go out. We wanted to slip them in with people's GSO-4.7 orders, but some of those orders are a bit further down the list so those will probably just go out on their own in the next day or two.

I agree. However there may be some circumstances where someone finds the option wholly unsuitable and wants to but I doubt that will be the case. I'm trying not mistake the world for myself. I bought one anyways. Might as well contribute some feedback in my west coast environment where I prefer even my 3v coated.

I agree. However there may be some circumstances where someone finds the option wholly unsuitable and wants to but I doubt that will be the case. I'm trying not mistake the world for myself. I bought one anyways. Might as well contribute some feedback in my west coast environment where I prefer even my 3v coated.

Are you in a rainy area of the West Coast? Have you had spot rust issues with your GSO 3V? If so, what kind of time span and what kind of circumstances? Overnight out in the field? Over a week when not using it or using it sparingly at home?

Are you in a rainy area of the West Coast? Have you had spot rust issues with your GSO 3V? If so, what kind of time span and what kind of circumstances? Overnight out in the field? Over a week when not using it or using it sparingly at home?

Pacific North West. To answer your question, in GSOs in particular I have had 2 in 3v, both coated so I can't give you much more than the edge. It will darken if not coated with oil even left in the box.

Those are some nasty weather conditions if the knife patinas sitting in the box, assuming that the box is stored indoors.

Back