420HC - Thoughts?

As far as stainless, I love the 420HC that Buck puts out. It's so darn easy to sharpen and slices very nicely. :)

I have a Buck Packlite Skinner that is made of 420hc. It is simple, it doesn't rust, it sharpens easily, it is made in the USA, and i paid $20 for it at walmart. I think that it is an excellent addition to a large camp knife, and although it didn't hold an edge long skinning a frozen deer out, my 1095 knife didn't either. Thats why they are easy to sharpen ;-)
I like it in a cheap knife. If it saves buck money, and saves me money, and performs up to par, we all win!

There you go! As a tradesman, I really like using nice tools. But since I have so many that I use, a budget for tools is a must. Same with knives.

I always balance price and actual usable utility value on any tool I buy, including knives. I have several work knives in my rotation (including a Blur with 420HC) that I carry that a lot of folks wouldn't find acceptable.

Not me! If it works well, requires little maintenance and is easy to sharpen, that's ideal to me. Literally, about 4 - 5 passes a side on the 1200 gr diamond rod will bring most of my work knives back to nasty sharp, and that is good enough for me.

For crying out loud, I still carry some carbon bladed knives (CASE, Boker) that aren't any harder than about 55 Rockwell, and they do fine in the winter months (less chance for rusting in the pocket) for me. Matching the tool to the job is the way to go for me.

Robert

Back