44 special over 357

i see that ruger is coming out with a gp100 in 44 special. any reason this would be better than 357? specs show 357 to be better round for defense.

i see that ruger is coming out with a gp100 in 44 special. any reason this would be better than 357? specs show 357 to be better round for defense.

Oh now you've gone and done it. You've opened up a serious can of worms with that particular question. Best grab a helmet while you still can.

You get an extra shot with the 357. After that i'd think you'd want tonconsider what you're defending something from. A 44 special might be overkill on a human. On an animal it might just be enough depending on the animal. Not super familiar with this round. If i want a revolver though it'll only come in two flavours 357 and 44 mag!

I had a S&W in 44 Special, nice soft shooting revolver, was a lot less punishing than shooting 125 grain .357, and it made nice big holes. Wish I never traded it. There is something cool about .44 Special, and lets face it, not all firearms purchases have to be logical.

Large bore projectiles are just swell. .44 magnum is a little ridiculous for a personal defense weapon. And the GP100 already comes in .357 magnum. So selling a .44 special gun just allows them to sell more guns, so it makes sense from a business perspective. .44 special is to .44 magnum what .38 special is to .357. My preferred carry when I carried was .45 acp, and there are revolvers out there that will shoot that round, but then you need special clips and all that stuff, so it's not the same thing as a rimmed cartridge.

Actually the 44 Spl was our answer to the 44 Russian which was considered the most accurate CF at the time ! It was really a target load . A 200 SWC at 1000 fps would be a great defensive load .Some modern warm loads might be good also. Despite light loading the Russian and Spl were good and popular rounds.

I've read that "If you understand the appeal of .44 special then no explanation is necessary, if you don't understand then it isn't possible to explain it to you"
I've also read that .44 special is the "connoisseur's cartridge".

You get an extra shot with the 357. After that i'd think you'd want tonconsider what you're defending something from. A 44 special might be overkill on a human. On an animal it might just be enough depending on the animal. Not super familiar with this round. If i want a revolver though it'll only come in two flavours 357 and 44 mag!

Actually the .44 Special is somewhat below the .45 ACP, meaning it's anything but overkill for two-legged threats.

The only problem I have with the cartridge is that it's absolutely impossible to get locally. I can get just about every other pistol caliber locally, I've even seen some .454 Casull occasionally, but .44 Special is impossible.

.357 has more penetration than the .44mag,,

The .357 was given to police forces to have penetration and stopping power (enough to go through a car door or light armor and still kill). This was c.1900's in the era of bonny/clyde and prohibition days.

The .44 mag is a vastly underpowered round, it is just fat and big. The .44 is a big slow moving bullet, comparable to the .45 (non-ACP, which is a larger and more powerful "law" round)

(What I mean by this is both rounds are large calibers for the small arms genre of gun. Both the .44 and the .45 are slow moving (800-1000fps without being hand loaded beyond loading specs or +P/Special)

The .44 is more powerful than the .45 just based on casing length and width (design) The physics case the powder to burn slower, and most generally a revolver will have a longer barrel, causing the round to generate more velocity in the barrel. Most .45 barrels are only two to three inches in length, most .44 barrels are at least 4 inches, giving the .44 more velocity.
I know that may not make much sense by saying it,, but compare a .22 caliber LR round leaving a ruger to a .22 caliber LR round leaving a deranger with a two inch barrel. Same concept. There will be muzzle flash and a loud bang, but the velocity will me substantially lower coming out of the deranger than the ruger. So without any argument, the .44 rimfire is SUBSTANCIALLY more powerful and has much more stopping power.

The .45 ACP is carried by many law enforcement personnel in north America in SIG226's; which is one of the most carried guns by law enforcement along with the Glock, the SIG P228 (calibers vary), The M9 or Beretta 92f or my favorite the Beretta 92R (9mm,22, or .40 cal), and the 1911. The Sig 226 is another law enforcement gun that is heavily carried. I should really say that the SIG 226 is a "service" gun and not just law enforcement. The SIG 226 was the first choice for the Navy Seals in the 70's and onwards or there abouts. (I know in 1989 the SIG P228 saw service in the Navy Seals as well) The gun has tritium night sights-H3 helium isotope that is radioactive. The SIG 226's are known to have frame failures after 5000+ rounds, this is due to being both ACP (which has a higher power) and also the fact that the slide and action is so damn heavy without much lower frame to contact. My personal favorite are the older navy seals 226 frames without the accessory rail on the bottom and tritium sights.

I choose .357,,,, it is the best survival and SD gun with speedloaders or moonclips.
Reliablility is a definite strong point.
Also, you run a very low chance of "limp handing the firearm", everyone from children to women can shoot these guns well with little to no instruction or training.
Cleaning is easy as well.
Maintenance is relatively simple, EVEN the internals.
You could realistically purchase extra springs and parts and cnc or dremel compartments in the rubber or non rubber grips of a revolver; this would make the gun so reliable that you would not have to second guess it.
In my mind that is what really makes the GUN a survival gun.
Any kind of 1911 or Sig or Glock would not have a place for extra parts, and any broken springs or parts would render the firearm inoperable and useless. They are also much harder to service without specialty gun tools. You could (in a pinch) fashion your own gun spring if you really needed too with a 1911 or .357 or .44.
One more reason I hate .44 mag is that it is rare to find even in shooting sports stores, and it is expensive and underpowered. It has virtually no penetration through any sort of armor.
Definitely the .357 for my personal choice for a survival/SD/EDC/or other. Best option. If you want more power, go with a S&W 500 mag. You can also shoot less expensive .38 +P out of a .357, giving you yet another option when ammo becomes scarce.

Think about these facts and thoughts,,,
Might just save your butt.
All the best,,
Zemapeli.:thumbup:

In the Ruger, the .357/38. However, Charter Arms used to put out a light framed 'Bulldog' that was ideal for the .44 special.
As far as the .500 S&W....I've often thought it would be a good combination rifle/pistol round. Not for the recoil sensitive!

The .357 will be easier to get defensive rounds for if that is your purpose.

The .44 special is no slouch for putting out led. If I found a nice .44 special wheel gun for a great price, I'd not be too disappointed if I could find the ammo readily where I lived. But if I was going that route, I'd probably just get a .44 mag and have the options.

For hunting, I'd purchase a .44 mag. or go bigger with a .460 S&W

I would not go for a .500 personally because the .460 S&W is so versatile, and has all the punch and reach I would ever need for anything. Plus the added benefit of being able to shoot .45 colt, 454 Casul, and the .460 S&W

Last edited:
Well i love the 44 spec
And my first new gun as a 357 mag and i shot that every weekend for close to 10 years
357 will be easier to preloaded ammo and is a great defense load and fun to shoot but can get a little punishing after a while but u can also shoot 38 special in it too
To the 44 spec
It is the best of both worlds
I own a smith model 24-3 lew horton and that is one of the most comfortable huns to shoot and carry
Onlt problem i find with the 44 spec for me is availability i had to buy dies and brass and load for myself as there was none for sale preloaded but if u plan to keep these for a long time ...loading for yourself is the most cost effective way to go as well
I am told some of the big box stores like dicks and bass pro and the like may stock.the 44 spec too
Either way u go u have two excellent cartridges
God Bless,John

Sent from my LGL41C using Tapatalk

44 Special is awesome.

THAT SAID, I pick 357. I love that if I bolt out of town without ammo, I can grab 357 just about anywhere. If they don't have that, the gun shoots .38 spl just fine.

Whole buttload of defensive offerings in the 38/357.

Been said already, but worth agreeing that the 357 gives you an additional round in the cylinder.

44 Special is awesome though. :D

.357 has more penetration than the .44mag,,

The .357 was given to police forces to have penetration and stopping power (enough to go through a car door or light armor and still kill). This was c.1900's in the era of bonny/clyde and prohibition days.

The .44 mag is a vastly underpowered round, it is just fat and big. The .44 is a big slow moving bullet, comparable to the .45 (non-ACP, which is a larger and more powerful "law" round)

(What I mean by this is both rounds are large calibers for the small arms genre of gun. Both the .44 and the .45 are slow moving (800-1000fps without being hand loaded beyond loading specs or +P/Special)

The .44 is more powerful than the .45 just based on casing length and width (design) The physics case the powder to burn slower, and most generally a revolver will have a longer barrel, causing the round to generate more velocity in the barrel. Most .45 barrels are only two to three inches in length, most .44 barrels are at least 4 inches, giving the .44 more velocity.
I know that may not make much sense by saying it,, but compare a .22 caliber LR round leaving a ruger to a .22 caliber LR round leaving a deranger with a two inch barrel. Same concept. There will be muzzle flash and a loud bang, but the velocity will me substantially lower coming out of the deranger than the ruger. So without any argument, the .44 rimfire is SUBSTANCIALLY more powerful and has much more stopping power.

The .45 ACP is carried by many law enforcement personnel in north America in SIG226's; which is one of the most carried guns by law enforcement along with the Glock, the SIG P228 (calibers vary), The M9 or Beretta 92f or my favorite the Beretta 92R (9mm,22, or .40 cal), and the 1911. The Sig 226 is another law enforcement gun that is heavily carried. I should really say that the SIG 226 is a "service" gun and not just law enforcement. The SIG 226 was the first choice for the Navy Seals in the 70's and onwards or there abouts. (I know in 1989 the SIG P228 saw service in the Navy Seals as well) The gun has tritium night sights-H3 helium isotope that is radioactive. The SIG 226's are known to have frame failures after 5000+ rounds, this is due to being both ACP (which has a higher power) and also the fact that the slide and action is so damn heavy without much lower frame to contact. My personal favorite are the older navy seals 226 frames without the accessory rail on the bottom and tritium sights.

I choose .357,,,, it is the best survival and SD gun with speedloaders or moonclips.
Reliablility is a definite strong point.
Also, you run a very low chance of "limp handing the firearm", everyone from children to women can shoot these guns well with little to no instruction or training.
Cleaning is easy as well.
Maintenance is relatively simple, EVEN the internals.
You could realistically purchase extra springs and parts and cnc or dremel compartments in the rubber or non rubber grips of a revolver; this would make the gun so reliable that you would not have to second guess it.
In my mind that is what really makes the GUN a survival gun.
Any kind of 1911 or Sig or Glock would not have a place for extra parts, and any broken springs or parts would render the firearm inoperable and useless. They are also much harder to service without specialty gun tools. You could (in a pinch) fashion your own gun spring if you really needed too with a 1911 or .357 or .44.
One more reason I hate .44 mag is that it is rare to find even in shooting sports stores, and it is expensive and underpowered. It has virtually no penetration through any sort of armor.
Definitely the .357 for my personal choice for a survival/SD/EDC/or other. Best option. If you want more power, go with a S&W 500 mag. You can also shoot less expensive .38 +P out of a .357, giving you yet another option when ammo becomes scarce.

Think about these facts and thoughts,,,
Might just save your butt.
All the best,,
Zemapeli.:thumbup:

:eek: That's an amazing collection of misinformation. I hardly know where to begin.... Too late at night here, anyway.

42dd41a84dd8a7083d42f646be5a510b.jpg

I've owned several 357 revolvers, including a GP100 and 686. I have never shot a 44 special but I'm happy (and stocked up) on 357 and 38 special rounds. I can use 38s when I feeling like plinking around and the ammo is fairly cheap. I also have the option 357 for more serious situations. I have no reason to want to shoot anything else.

People get too caught up in ballistics. Fact of the matter is most people don't want to be shot with any gun, regardless of the caliber. It's also incredibly unlikely that the vast majority of us will ever have to resort to shooting someone. In the unlikely event that does happen, the 357 has one of the best pedigrees of any handgun round, period.

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk

Back