440C

I don't know how accurate the comparison will be because I'm only going to get 440C in 1/16", nothing thicker, and the thinnest 154CM I get is 3/32", but if I can get the steel before my Christmas break I am going to make a small knife so I can compare them.
A knife made from each with a flat grind (or as flat as you can manage) would help, but mainly a comparable thickness behind the edge should yield a decent idea.

If both blades were 1" tall, flat ground and brought down to .015 or less BTE, it wouldn't be a significant difference.
-For a B&T, parer, or thin EDC slicer/utility, I prefer thin with a quality HT to support the thin cross sectional edge profile.

For 154cm and 440C not being of the CPM variety, you may have to go a bit thicker BTE to support grain and carbide growth. If this bumps the BTE thickness to .025" and between 15°**-20° DPS for both (15°having a microbevel), you should still get some results that you can compare without many folks questioning them.

** Though carbide tearout is debated, a microbevel would help alleviate any points of contention or tearout, if it occurs
------
Have you given any thought to CPM154? I know it is pricier, but many folks wouldn't bat an eye at that alloy, but would look at 154cm as below what they are wanting to carry.

Personally, I don't mind either way, I carry sharpening equipment with me. But quite a few folks will draw the line at 154cm vs CPM154.

I would think that the heat treat shouldn't differ too much.

I recognize every knife on the list for this steel, except for the Panfish. What’s up with that one? Specs?

Panfish
Specs:

Overall Length: 8 3/4"
Blade Length: 4 3/8"
Thickness: 1/16"

Looks like a nice small camp fillet knife. I can see how it earned it's name. Nice shape on the handle too, that second pic just screams comfort.

Eta: 440C is more stain resistant than 154cm, which will help in the role stated above.

Oh, my... Does the blade flex? That looks like something I need before the crappie spawn this spring.

I guess I'm not sure what thickness is optimal for the PSK knife but I will defer to your judgement, John. BTW, my new PSK knife showed up today- very nice, as expected! Thanks!

I purchased the Panfish shown above in April, 2014. There is just the right amount of flexibility, namely only a little.
I've used this knife a fair amount -- especially good for cutting up cardboard boxes due to the small resistance going through
them. Haven't used it much for the kitchen, but it should do well there. Very Useful: It is my go-to knife for cutting tasks around the house. JK has me on the schedule for another one early next year.

I plan on ordering a knife, and my next one I would want in a SS. But I don't really care if it's 440C or 154cm.

I plan on ordering a knife, and my next one I would want in a SS. But I don't really care if it's 440C or 154cm.
The only 440C I will be using is 1/16" thick. Other sizes are available in 154CM and CPM S30V

Well that narrows it down..... I have never had a knife in CPM S30V.
I don't know enough to care. :D

John, I'll be emailing you next week about a design I've got drawn up. If I can sell a knife (or two), I'll hopefully be placing an order for a knife in 1/16" 440C.

Personally I can't see any significant difference between 154CM and CPM S30V.
By all of the reports I have read, 154cm will hold a keener edge for a longer period of time, while S30V will have a longer overall edge life due to its "duller but working" edge (though not by much). S30V should also be slightly tougher, again not by much. This was based off of reports found on here, NJDevil, Spyderco subforum and their own forum, Benchmade forum as well.

To rewrite this in a different way:

154cm: longer keen edge but shorter working edge duration, slightly less tough (1/3) but more stain resistant. Easiest to sharpen.

S30V: shorter keen edge but longer working edge duration, barely the toughest (3/3) but less stain resist. Hardest (longest duration, can have a sticky burr) of the three to sharpen

440C: slightly less keen edge duration but longer working edge than 154CM and a longer keen edge but less working edge life than S30V, middle toughness (2/3), most stain resistant. Middle sharpening effort needed, some burr formation, but tends to come off fairly easily.
-----
Basically they are all close in performance but it will come down to small differences that will allow you to target the alloy that gives you exactly what you want in your knife.

I hope this helps some.

With the 1" stock, what (realistically) is the tallest blade that you can make, John? 3/4"? 7/8"? 15/16"? I may have to change my design if it's less that 7/8".

Back