• The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them. Stop using Paypal Friends & Family and follow our best practices to prevent getting ripped off or having a bad deal.

5160 John Deere control shaft steel,,, I can get it..

.http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=348016
with Ed Fowlers results on this JDM 5160 steel..

The steel ED Fowler has talked so much about, John Deere control shaft steel
new not used.. I found the manufacture and have a deal with them,
forge it from the round shock,
I'll have either and or 1.119, 1.144 or 1.207 dia shafts, and for those that don't forge but stock grind you can make intergracials have it forged or even have Ed Fowler do his magic on it, forging it into bar stock with his method of forging it, he'll work it for you..
..see is his offer below.
**********the pay page is up for the JDM 5160 steel
please read the note before, paying
http://www.knivesby.com/john-deere-control-shaft-steel-JDM5160.html

, if you have not ordered and want some get on the list..the page also has a link so you can add it to your favorites list and a link to send the page to a friend by email.

check it out..and let me know what you think.. Thanks for the orders

first post
This is the same stuff that Ed Fowler has used for his quest for the high performance blade.

to back up some
You'll see I stuck my foot in my mouth in shop talk telling Ed that I would find out if I could get my hands on this steel from the horses mouth..
rather than having to find used shafts or buying new shafts to destroy..
With some time and work I've found the manufacture that makes them for JD.

This steel is the JDM5160 shaft steel from control shaft blanks for the shafts being manufactured for John-Deere it's the
end drop steel after cutting them to length, you can not buy this steel from any John Deere dealer, and I will tell you they are very tight lipped about the spec's of this steel.
Ed believes by his writings that there is something different with this steel from the reg 5160's
I am very lucky to find this steel, it took some time as you know by the posts we've made.....
the shafts are made here in the states to JD's spec's. :)

Bill Burke has ordered a bunch for him and Ed to continue testing JD steel
and has found it to be very good and to his liking.

and Ed said he'd be happy to share and work with others interested in doing the same to find out results from those who use it also..

email me
from the pay site
also
to keep confusion down

e-mail real name with forum name
$2.50 per pound,
flat rate USPS up to ~70 pounds shipped weight $7.70 + insurance to U.S. only.

go here in Shop talk to find out more about the deal..
http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=334803&page=1&pp=20
testing page,
http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=348016

I can't find REG 5160 less than $2.69 per pound and that stuff is not round JD control shaft steel. so I think we've got a good price here..

please email from the site link above
you can use
paypal,
online Credit card,
card by phone,
money order
or check.
Cash is good :D

I'm selling it by the 10 pounds I won't be able to sell the steel at an exact length all the time. please just tell me like ~7" ~13" or if it matters?

any questions please do so by e-mail..lets get some knives made :D

Ed Fowler offer
and what the offer is....

Hello Dan:
I have been thinking about working down some of your JDM5160, using all we have learned about low temp forging and the following thermal cycles prior to grinding and heat treat. It would have to sell for about $50 per linear inch to make it work.

We have achieved some great knives following practices used on our 52100 on your steel.

I believe that if the stock removal guys would grind some knives out of it and apply the proper heat treat they could achieve some knives that would out perform most of the other knives out there.
What do you think?
Sincerely
Ed Fowler

Hello Dan:
Sorry to take so long to get back to you, been pretty hectic this afternoon.
Here is the way it would work:
We would forge your steel down at low temp, 1650 absolute top Temp.
Then we would provide the triple bladesmith anneal at 950 and send the steel back to them.
The steel would be a little thicker or wider than they wanted, but as uniform as we can get it with the hammer, but they could drill it, cut it with a saw or surface grind it if they wished. Then go ahead and finish the blade as they wished.
When finished they could use the triple quench and temper.
The cost would be $50 per linear inch, considering how we are working it this would be a bargain.
You can post it where ever you wish.
Take Care Friend
Ed

Hello again Dan:
The steel would be forged down to what ever size they wanted, I would suggest they order it a little oversize to allow for grinding it level.
Also it will be forged only on three sides, there will be no hammer hits on the future spine of the blade. This is to take full advantage of the potential grain refinement gained from forging. The billet will be labeled as to which is the proposed cutting edge.
Take Care Friend
Ed

Hey Dan, I may be interested in the 21" lengths,,,

jm

btw, as posted in shoptalk, where is this stuff coming from? ie-can one of us pick it up for you on our way someplace? or bring to a central locale? I know you do this as a business but is there a way for us to coop this and help each other out?

jm

P. Nelson said:
How many lbs is one 13" section?

3.657 per foot at 1.207" dia
3.962 for 13".. if I did it right..

$2.50 per pound
+ s/h
first post updated.

I Just got word that it's on it's way to me as of yesterday :D
now if the shipping along the way doesn't screw up, :rolleyes: am a pessimist , can you tell :)

:D got steel today guys. all but 195 pound of it but it's coming too.

I have 21 of you so far that wanted some ,, I'll go down the list as I mentioned filling orders..
I have made a pay site but the lengths of this are off some so it will mess up the way I made the site ,, back to the drawing board..

please email dangary@knivesby.com
with your
forum name with real name
USPS address
what lengths you can use with pounds you want..
I have some of you anyway and I will e-mail you soon
I need to know if you want to pay for it by
paypal,
online Credit card,
card by phone,
money order
or check.

the pay site will tell you pounds per inch. if you want to know and by the foot,
I'll be selling it by the pound so I won't be able to sell the steel at an exact length all the time. please just tell me like 4"-6" or 8"-10" or if it matters?
the less cut here the better, I didn't figure on that.. :(
I'd like to keep it 10.5" and under it will fit that box better hopefully with less shipping problems. the buys are getting worked out..

the first shipment is leaving in the morning.

I will run out of steel before all 21 of you are filled but we knew that and I'll have more coming next week I hope, 1.144 dia I believe.

Dan Gray said:
:D got steel today guys. all but 195 pound of it but it's coming too.

I have 21 of you so far that wanted some ,, I'll go down the list as I mentioned filling orders..
I have made a pay site but the lengths of this are off some so it will mess up the way I made the site ,, back to the drawing board..

please email dangary@knivesby.com
with your
forum name with real name
USPS address
what lengths you can use with pounds you want..
I have some of you anyway and I will e-mail you soon
I need to know if you want to pay for it by
paypal,
online Credit card,
card by phone,
money order
or check.

the pay site will tell you pounds per inch. if you want to know and by the foot,
I'll be selling it by the pound so I won't be able to sell the steel at an exact length all the time. please just tell me like 4"-6" or 8"-10" or if it matters?
the less cut here the better, I didn't figure on that.. :(
I'd like to keep it 10.5" and under it will fit that box better hopefully with less shipping problems. the buys are getting worked out..

the first shipment is leaving in the morning.

I will run out of steel before all 21 of you are filled but we knew that and I'll have more coming next week I hope, 1.144 dia I believe.

sorry Bruce G, I can't spell my own name :eek: it's right now.

the pay page is up for the JDM 5160 steel
please read the note before, paying
http://www.knivesby.com/john-deere-control-shaft-steel-JDM5160.html
WELL , I got 17 of you guys some of JDM5160 steel
7 more of you so far are waiting for the 1.144 dia stock
it will be shiped to me tomorow I'm told. 400 pounds coming.

some of you didn't realize it was so big in dia, :eek: remember I can get the 1.019 shaft too.

I'd like to hear from you guys as you work it, and show pictures...too.
how it made it to you, if USPS was good to the ( heavy) flat rate packages,
my post lady is starting to look at me funny..I told my carryer she's lucky I don't make her pick it up here ;) .. she thanked me :D

Ed said he'd input here soon also. :) can't wait :)

I hope to get my forge up and in running shape soon
so I can bang on it too. :)

check it out..and let me know what you think.. Thanks for the orders
soon I'll start the thread to get some controlled testing going
that Ed Fowler mentioned we could do , sounds like a great idea.. and

thanks ED for the offer to fore lead this.

the 1.207 dia shafts are just over 1 3/16"
these = about 3.75 pounds per foot which would be $9.37 per foot

flat rate shipping up to 70 pounds ship weight is $7.70 + insurance.

I'll post the other spec's as I get the other John Deere steel.
thanks

Do you think this new batch will act like the last stuff? Are you
going to keep tract of who got which just in case they react diferent?
I'm guessing JD has quality controll on that kind of thing but should we stay on top of it too?
I'll keep mine as JDM5160-batch-1. Haven't forged the second blade yet but so far I'm happy with the first. I was going to do the 2nd one today, with some modifications but spent last night in the ER with mom. We thought it was a heart attack. Turned out to be a toxic reaction to a build up of one of the heart meds she was on They are keeping her for a day or two the reregulate. Some sleep and some yard work and if there is time left I'm going to try the second.

Larry

Back