586-142 Limited Edition

I feel like I'm the only one here that thinks this knife is hideously ugly. Price is not factor for me on this one.

I feel like I'm the only one here that thinks this knife is hideously ugly. Price is not factor for me on this one.

You're not. I like simple, this is too busy. If it was offered just in the Lightning Strike it would be much more attractive to me.

different strokes for different forks, this is PIMP, BLING, Ka-POW, however you want to define it, it screams "look at me!" reminds me of a tricked out caddy, spinners, shag carpeted dash, cheetah print upholstery with dice hanging from da mirror;)

$1200 ?! :eek:

tumblr_lu419rDeQl1r0w390.jpg

different strokes for different forks, this is PIMP, BLING, Ka-POW, however you want to define it, it screams "look at me!" reminds me of a tricked out caddy, spinners, shag carpeted dash, cheetah print upholstery with dice hanging from da mirror;)

Funny thing is... I completely agree with you. That pimped out caddy is exactly what it reminds me of. But that's not what I'm looking for in a knife (or a car). Like you said; "different strokes..."

I really enjoy the other recent mini-barrage limited releases; I guess you know my opinion on this one.

Beautiful scales. But then you put a standard blade on it? I think for 1200$ it should have a Damascus blade.

WOW........ Seriously ? How can they take a knife that is already in production, offer upgraded blade steel, change the design and materials of the scales, and hang that kind of a price tag on it ?
Personally I've always thought the Gold knives were WAY overpriced, but they don't even come close to the price on this one.
There will be people who buy it though, thinking if the price is that high, it has to be really incredible.

It reminds me of something a friend told me long ago. He had a car lot dealing only in Corvettes, and early muscle cars. If a car wasn't getting much attention, he would RAISE the price. It goes totally against common logic, which would be to lower the price, but he told me every time he did that, the car sold almost immediately. Some people aren't very sharp.

Thing is, the steel isn't an upgrade... It just has a different finish.

I'm not surprised that dealers are fighting over them, the margins must be insane if they can find someone to buy them at that price. Over 1k for a production knife is ridiculous, Benchmade needs to stop using Ebay as a reliable source for market pricing.

I wouldn't be surprised if this subforum is closed in the future...

I wouldn't be surprised if this subforum is closed in the future...

I hope it isn't closed. There are still many of us here that like the knives. Granted, there has been a lot of negative topics, with the QC issues, and price increase,
but they are legitimate concerns for those of us here... While a company may not like reading about these issues, on the other hand it should be welcomed to read about concerns. Especially where QC may be an issue.

$1,000+ for a production knife is just absurd though.

So if they sell every one of those, it'll add out to $120,000. I don't think their material cost is but 10% of that. Wow!

So if they sell every one of those, it'll add out to $120,000. I don't think their material cost is but 10% of that. Wow!

That could be. One has to wonder if they have lost their minds, or is it genius marketing ? If nobody buys them, they have lost their minds. If they all sell, it is marketing genius :D Those that actually pay $1,200 for the knife should probably seek professional help though...

586-142 limited edition
View attachment 411991
- patented axis-assist lock mechanism
- acid-washed crowned m390 (hrc 60-32) blade with hand polished convex edge
- 3d machined lightning strike carbon fiber handles with mokume onlays
- black oxide coated split arrow reversible pocket clip
- heat colored steel barrel spacers
- 100 piece limited edition
- msrp $1200

...lol

WOW........ Seriously ? How can they take a knife that is already in production, offer upgraded blade steel, change the design and materials of the scales, and hang that kind of a price tag on it ?
Personally I've always thought the Gold knives were WAY overpriced, but they don't even come close to the price on this one.
There will be people who buy it though, thinking if the price is that high, it has to be really incredible.

It reminds me of something a friend told me long ago. He had a car lot dealing only in Corvettes, and early muscle cars. If a car wasn't getting much attention, he would RAISE the price. It goes totally against common logic, which would be to lower the price, but he told me every time he did that, the car sold almost immediately. Some people aren't very sharp.

It's a well known phenomena in the study of consumer psychology - it even has a name:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Veblen_good

Back