5Cr15MoV

Status
Not open for further replies.
There is a knife that I really want to get, it is the CRKT My Tighe... however I just found out it is made of 5Cr15MoV Stainless Steel and I usually think very poorly of Stainless, but this knife is in my opinion exactly what I want [besides maybe the metal]...

That is why I am here to ask, do you think 5Cr15MoV is good or is it really really crappy?

Thanks in advanced.

Well it depends on what you consider good, or crappy.

5Cr15MoV is definately one of the "lower end" steels, when it comes to edge holding, but for that it is extremely easy to sharpen, so you will have to decide what is more important to you, edge holding or sharpenability?
So it really comes down to your personal preferences.
I say go for the knife, even though you will have to sharpen it more than one with a "better" steel, it should still be more than sufficient for regular EDC carrying.

I bought a Spyderco Tenacious about 1 month ago with 8Cr13MoV and found that this is the best stainless steel I have ever used, like you I didn't care for stainless steels because I had yet to find one that could hold an edge like carbon can. I have used the knife every day since i purchased it and have yet to have to touch a stone, I have had to use a steel 3 times, but that is all the sharpening that has been needed. I also found small rust spots on the blade so I cleaned them and added some gun oil to the blade to prevent further staining.

If you think 8Cr13Mov is the best Stainless around, try something like VG10, S30V or even ZDP-189, you' ll be thrilled:D

If you think 8Cr13Mov is the best Stainless around, try something like VG10, S30V or even ZDP-189, you' ll be thrilled:D
i actually like 8Cr13Mov more than the vg10 blades i have. i duno why, i think it takes a better edge. doesnt hold it as long but man it sharpens right back up.
now s30v is a different story. i still need to get me a zdp-189 blade

There is a knife that I really want to get, it is the CRKT My Tighe... however I just found out it is made of 5Cr15MoV Stainless Steel and I usually think very poorly of Stainless, but this knife is in my opinion exactly what I want [besides maybe the metal]...

That is why I am here to ask, do you think 5Cr15MoV is good or is it really really crappy?

Thanks in advanced.

There is no "good steel" there is no "crappy steel". There is only steel that is appropriate for the usage. So the question of whether you would like the performance of this steel in your EDC blade will much depend on how you use your EDC.

Based on the Carbon content if 0.45% and the Chromium content of 15%, my expectation is that the performance of 5Cr15MoV would be very similar to that of 420HC. The performance will also depend on the final hardness to which the blade is tempered. No way to tell on that.

For EDC usage that does not involve cutting yards of cardboard every day, the you'd probably be just fine. I'm fairly certain it will take a very nice edge.

Thanks a lot guys, this has been very helpful! I am only planning on using the knife for everyday tasks, no hunting or extreme conditions really... so I suppose this will suffice. Basically I just want to make sure it can hold a nice sharp edge without me having to sharpen it everyday.

Which BTW, if anyone has a knife with this metal how often do you need to sharpen it to keep a nice edge?

I have that knife and it's very nice. Mine is the assisted opener version and it has a forceful open. I haven't had to sharpen it yet. It's been used for some cardboard cutting and apple slicing.

so i have decided to get the knife....

AND another knife with AUS8 steel, which I plan on using for harder object which might dull my blade on the stainless knife.

I figured I could carry my 5Cr15MoV as a EDC and the AUS8 knife otherwise. What do you guys think?

BTW this forum is awesome.

btw aus8 is stainless too.
5cr15 (and even 3cr13) are used on kitchen knives a lot over here and it is very rust resistant and fairly flexible (you are going to snap it with out a fair amount of abuse) it's not going to stay sharp all that long though. I wouldn't bother carrying an extra aus8 knife for special cutting if you want the knife and are worried about dulling it quickly i would just slip a diamond sharpening card into your wallet so you can quickly touch up the edge as needed.

Thanks a lot guys, this has been very helpful! I am only planning on using the knife for everyday tasks, no hunting or extreme conditions really... so I suppose this will suffice. Basically I just want to make sure it can hold a nice sharp edge without me having to sharpen it everyday.

Which BTW, if anyone has a knife with this metal how often do you need to sharpen it to keep a nice edge?

There isn't a hard and fast answer on that. It depends on how often you use it, what you cut with it, and how you personally define the degree of lack of sharpness that requires sharpening. All of those factors vary from person to person.

AND another knife with AUS8 steel, which I plan on using for harder object which might dull my blade on the stainless knife.

I figured I could carry my 5Cr15MoV as a EDC and the AUS8 knife otherwise. What do you guys think?

Sounds like a good plan.

Welcome to BladeForums!

5Cr15MoV is the chinese version of the 1.4116 (mostly supplied by Thyssen in Germany). Most knives I've seen with this grade are in the 50-54 HRC range. Imo too soft for most blades. Corrosion resistance on the other hand is great.

1.4116 can be seen in many knives, but it's most common in mid-end kitchen knives.

knarfeng said:
There isn't a hard and fast answer on that. It depends on how often you use it, what you cut with it, and how you personally define the degree of lack of sharpness that requires sharpening. All of those factors vary from person to person.

Makes sense, that is what I figured the answer would be.

If anyone would like to share a good site for me to get a 100% genuine product with a good price [if I need a C&R to get the price I can do that], that would be awesome. I am looking for a CRKT knife BTW.

Thanks again for all the help.

I wouldn't bother carrying an extra aus8 knife for special cutting
I dont plan on using it along side my EDC, it's just the knife I would like to have if I go camping or something like that.

EDIT:
Is sportco reliable? Actually I dont want to use a web site that doesn't have SSL. So any good recommendations are welcome.

Last edited:
If anyone would like to share a good site for me to get a 100% genuine product with a good price [if I need a C&R to get the price I can do that], that would be awesome. I am looking for a CRKT knife BTW.
For Sale: Production Knives (Dealer)
http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=749

These folks have dealer memberships here. All of them are standup outfits who will give you a fair deal and good service. And they support this site.:thumbup::thumbup:

chinese made high carbon chrome stainless steel 5Cr15MoV grade, which also called 420MoV.
It's developed based on 420HC 4Cr13.

Hardness could be HRC 56 + -2 after suitable heat treatment.

If you choose stainless steel knife.
You must face: good knife is not only about the steel.
It's also related to the heat treatment.

I have to admit I usually hate stainless. I'd rather have a good carbon steel blade. But I have a cheap sub 20$ assisted flipper kershaw asset in 8cr13MoV and It's probably my favorite pocket knife . I personally liked it better than spyderco vg10 and my 8A ontario utilitac II just sits on my dresser with a bunch of others.

Last edited:

You were on the fence about buying the knife & ended up getting it along with another knife. Yeah, you're definitely Bladeforums material.

Welcome, & let us know how you like the knives if you get the chance.

Glad you picked the knife up. At most you'll have to touch it up every few days, maybe once a week.

I use plenty of Kershaw's 8Cr knives and those things get scary sharp in under 2 minutes, no joke. I think the 5Cr should suit you just fine.

5Cr15MoV is the chinese version of the 1.4116 (mostly supplied by Thyssen in Germany). Most knives I've seen with this grade are in the 50-54 HRC range. Imo too soft for most blades. Corrosion resistance on the other hand is great....

Per CRKT's site, CRKT My Tighe is 1.4116 at 55-57. That is a very servicable hardness.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back