5Cr15MoV

Status
Not open for further replies.
Per CRKT's site, CRKT My Tighe is 1.4116 at 55-57. That is a very servicable hardness.

I originally looked this blade steel up and found this thread because Im getting a CRKT foltz minimalist in wharncliffe. I had the bowie version but it shipped with the tanto sheath cause for some reason CRKT doesnt make bowie kydex sheaths and the tanto sheath it ships with totally decimates any blade put on the knife.

So I sent it back to CRKT and they are replacing it with the wharncliffe with its own proprietary sheath . Cant wait !

why let a thread die... lol good info on 5cr15 didn't realize it was basically 420hc... I like 420hc so in theory I would like 5cr15 if that is correct. I lost my paraframe and at the same price point the chris reeve small knock off is made with a 5cr15 blade. Both items are made in china I suppose I might try the knock off. It may be made with a better blade steel than the gerber which I am unsure of and just assumed it was 440a.

It's almost identical to 420hc, slightly less vanadium, slightly higher chromium w/ molybednum added, and with a proper HT it should perform as such. (I would venture to say CRKT is a reputable enough manufacturer to provide a good HT, I've had zero issues with their 8cr--mov's).

I have the KeKersh knife too. It has become my favorite edc but just got a Gerber 8970513D in 5cr15mov. for 9.00. nice little fixed blade.

Thanks a lot guys, this has been very helpful! I am only planning on using the knife for everyday tasks, no hunting or extreme conditions really... so I suppose this will suffice. Basically I just want to make sure it can hold a nice sharp edge without me having to sharpen it everyday.

Which BTW, if anyone has a knife with this metal how often do you need to sharpen it to keep a nice edge?
I`ve bought a chip knife on Amazon with a blade 5cr15mov - use it every day since, occasionaly I give it a hone on a pocket Shapton $5000 grit, (all my knives are kept razor sharp), blade is steel in great shape, although the blade is narrower now, it still performs good. In my opinion, the steel is better than acceptable for a edc.

Necropost batman, I know that alfred! Sure, sure.

There is no "good steel" there is no "crappy steel". There is only steel that is appropriate for the usage. So the question of whether you would like the performance of this steel in your EDC blade will much depend on how you use your EDC.

Based on the Carbon content if 0.45% and the Chromium content of 15%, my expectation is that the performance of 5Cr15MoV would be very similar to that of 420HC. The performance will also depend on the final hardness to which the blade is tempered. No way to tell on that.

For EDC usage that does not involve cutting yards of cardboard every day, the you'd probably be just fine. I'm fairly certain it will take a very nice edge.
^ This

I've got a Gerber Index and I've got mixed thoughts about the 5Cr15MoV Stainless Steel.It's acceptable steel for the most most part, essential cutting tasks-yardwork/gardening,cleaning game,crafts...basically the same things 420HC is used for that doesn't pan out looking bad on in edge life.This 5Cr15MoV is a bit more versatile though...doesn't roll as easily as 420HC through all that molybdenum killing off some cheap razor aesthetics in 420HC...425 Modified basically.I've noticed that cutting denser materials where 420HC just rolls over like a cheap box cutter blade while this 5Cr15MoV holds up rather well.

But the 7Cr17MoV yields all this alloying and more carbon.So for $28 and how nice the Index is?not a bad price at all in 5Cr15MoV.But, I wouldn't have minded paying a little more for Gerber to put this in their usual 7Cr17MoV either.

Since this thread has already been re-necro'd to high h*ll, I figure whynot...
Ever since becoming a steel nerd, I have this thing about being near the Euctoid point. Around 0.8% C

Go lower, and you get a tougher blade which requires more maintenance.
Go higher, and you gradually (after about 1% C) get into chipping issues, and lose the toughness
Add chrome to the mix, you gain some stain resistance but lose some toughness...
Then with Nitrogen the whole thing is like some weird wonderland... 14c28n etc

(yes, I know this is a gross oversimplification, but still)

I'd love to see stuff like this become reality and available in knives - 0.9% N steel :))
https://www.totalmateria.com/page.aspx?ID=CheckArticle&LN=EN&site=kts&NM=380

So I know this thread is around 12 years old but I am very thankful for it. It has given me some good information on 5Cr15MoV, something I was looking for when deciding whether to buy a Gerber Freeman as a backup hunting knife.

I look forward to trying this knife out in the field and not too worried about the edge retention as I always carry a small ceramic rod with me anyway.

Again, thanks to all the previous posters for the good information.

Cheers
Phil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back