• The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them. Stop using Paypal Friends & Family and follow our best practices to prevent getting ripped off or having a bad deal.

#93 ramsfoot jigged bone

Reaper AL

Platinum Member
i thought I would post this here as I found a GEC dealer posted 16 jigged bone on eBay to bid on which I think is unethical. Not as a buy it now but to bid on. From a consumer stand point he is making his dealer profit margin and entering in the secondary market. I have already identified the dealer to GEC. So there is 16 people that won’t get #93 at a cost sold buy ethical dealers.

I think dealers have a right to sell to whoever they want at whatever price they want, unless they have a different agreement with GEC.

I also like to see what knife I am buying before I buy if possible.

I had to send a jig bone 93 back to a dealer because the jigging was extremely poor, uneven, large flat spots. If I had seen it first i would not have purchased.

I do not see how auctioning their inventory is unethical.

It is reasonable to decide not to do business with this dealer because you do not like their style, but I don’t find ethics is involved here.

I have already identified the dealer to GEC.

Does GEC have some contract with their dealers saying they can't sell them on Ebay?

Edit: I'm also curious as to what the point of your post is? You don't name the seller ...

Unsavory, unscrupulous, unprofessional, uncool... all the un's. :poop:
I will never buy from that 'dealer'.:thumbsdown::thumbsdown:

Hopefully they cut him off !?!

Last edited:
I will gladly name the seller as long as doesn’t conflict with any rules of this forum. I don’t have a problem with anyone selling on eBay. The point I am making is all the other dealers sold them for about the same price. These are on eBay to make bids not with a buy it now price. So the price starts at approximately $98.00 and goes up from there. That to me would be getting into the secondary market. If that was the case why didn’t he put them on his website with a price he wanted for them and not see what the market would bear

But almost all of the seller’s knives have zero or one bid?!
So the market is informing him his initial prices are too high.
Have a little faith in the free market.

Wait until the auction is almost over or over and see what they sell for. A lot of people wait until near the end to start the bidding war

So, if I bought fifteen GECs at the same price as the dealer did then put them up for auction would that be unethical?

I will gladly name the seller as long as doesn’t conflict with any rules of this forum. I don’t have a problem with anyone selling on eBay. The point I am making is all the other dealers sold them for about the same price. These are on eBay to make bids not with a buy it now price. So the price starts at approximately $98.00 and goes up from there. That to me would be getting into the secondary market. If that was the case why didn’t he put them on his website with a price he wanted for them and not see what the market would bear
Name the seller and if they're a member on here tag their user name with a @ and they will see this thread.

No but first do you think when you buy a knife from a dealer that is his cost ? Second if you bought 16 # 83 ramsfoot at retail cost of $98.00 you would be the luckiest guy on earth. The other dealers offered them at $98.00 each just see what these auction for. Put a bud in for each of those 16 on eBay and see how many you get for $98.00

No but first do you think when you buy a knife from a dealer that is his cost ? Second if you bought 16 # 83 ramsfoot at retail cost of $98.00 you would be the luckiest guy on earth. The other dealers offered them at $98.00 each just see what these auction for. Put a bud in for each of those 16 on eBay and see how many you get for $98.00
I understand your frustration. It seems to me that the difference is that for me, an individual, that would be ok. If I was a dealer it would not. Excuse me if I am not understanding.

What’s to stop a dealer from listing that knife for $300 on their website? I do think it’s a little unethical for dealers to milk the “second market”...but it’s their business. This dealer is probably trying to recoup losses from their overpriced GEC 97 SFOs.

A very interesting thread, a hypothetical. What would the dealers reaction be-if- GEC said, " we are not going to give you your allotted knives, we are going straight to Ebay to auction them" ?

Nothing is stopping a dealer from listing a knife for any price they want. But you are right if you over priced your SFO then you should reduce the price of your SFO not try and recoup your impending loss by raising the price on another item. Why would you not list the #93 on your website for a higher price. As a dealer with a website don’t you think you should list your product you sell on your website before you take that item to an auction type market.
What’s to stop a dealer from listing that knife for $300 on their website? I do think it’s a little unethical for dealers to milk the “second market”...but it’s their business. This dealer is probably trying to recoup losses from their overpriced GEC 97 SFOs.

Thank you now that is a great question from a business stand point. If that was the case then we would all be paying inflated prices for GEC and the GEC dealers would no longer exist
A very interesting thread, a hypothetical. What would the dealers reaction be-if- GEC said, " we are not going to give you your allotted knives, we are going straight to Ebay to auction them" ?

If it is an over priced SFO that he is trying to recoup I have a problem with the math of this
Website price $167.49
eBay buy it now $115.99
That would be a difference of $51.50 less than the website price.

I suppose it all comes down to what the contract/agreement is that dealers have with GEC. Is there something akin to MAP, or a maximum price allowed?
I do agree that it seems mighty unsavory, and there are lots of GEC dealers I'd rather buy from.

I don't know who the OP is referring and don't want to know. GEC has a MAPP, but the "M" is minimum price not maximum price.
But it would give me more heartburn if GEC started telling me how to sell knives that were now my property.
In my experience, whenever an entity exists that takes advantage of a market to increase the gain over the competition - the market responds.

I agree with your assessment. As the end consumer I felt that people should be made aware of this situation.
I suppose it all comes down to what the contract/agreement is that dealers have with GEC. Is there something akin to MAP, or a maximum price allowed?
I do agree that it seems mighty unsavory, and there are lots of GEC dealers I'd rather buy from.

Back