940-1 or mini crooked river

Can't make my mind up between these two. For those that have both, which one you carry, use or like better.

Mini Crooked river fits my hand 100x better. and has a better grind IMO. Drop a Bugout clip on it and you're in for a treat. Here's a picture I took a while back. Of course the Bugout is still my favorite of the bunch.

gLwQfC5.jpg

tf1UHJp.jpg

I've handled the crooked river(s) numerous times, but haven't had the desire to buy one. I DO own several 940s, including the -1 and it's easily one of my favorite knives!

I have both and the 940 is a tiny bit handle heavy, the -1 is right on the fore finger.
Maybe ours are different. Not unusual. For any folder, not just BMs.

I have the 940 and the Mini Crooked River and for some reason I just like the crooked river. Mine is the 15085-2 with the slightly darker wooden handle, red backspacer and pivot. They both handle similarly but the River just caught my eye. I have had my 940 for years and probably have not carried it 10 times and it is a beautiful knife also. One thing I do not like about the 940 is that even if you get it very sharp it just is not a good slicer. I don't think you could go wrong with either one.

I don't know if this will help but 940s go up for sale on the exchange regularly. You could always grab one cheaper there. I don't see many Mini CR's on the exchange and when they are they sale quick.

If it wasn't for that awful orange plastic back spacer the crooked mini would already be mine but I just can't get passed that trash piece of plastic instead of standoffs. I'm holding out till they change that aspect.

If it wasn't for that awful orange plastic back spacer the crooked mini would already be mine but I just can't get passed that trash piece of plastic instead of standoffs. I'm holding out till they change that aspect.

Its G10 not plastic if that matters.

Its G10 not plastic if that matters.

Good point, it does help in terms of quality however the look is more my concern. Thanks for the clarification. I'm still hoping for standoffs version to come out on the custom builder. Carbon fiber with black bolsters and standoffs would be awesome

If I want a light weight slim folder, I will choose 940(-1). If I want a big hefty folder, I will pick crooked river. Mini crooked river? No.

I love the look of the crooked river but the geometry of the knife is all wrong for me. The blade tip is in too high from the angle where I hold the handle. I have a 710 and a 940 that I EDC. When I use the tip of the blade, those two knives feel right and I have all the control I need, even if I have to choke up on the blade. When I tried this with the CR It was very uncomfortable and unwieldy. I always try cleaning my fingernails with a knife before I get sold on it. If I can’t control it well doing something fine like that then I know I won’t use it, won’t carry it, so I don’t spend the money. Again, beautiful knife! Just did not feel right to me.

I love the look of the crooked river but the geometry of the knife is all wrong for me.

I always try cleaning my fingernails with a knife before I get sold on it. If I can’t control it well doing something fine like that then I know I won’t use it, won’t carry it, so I don’t spend the money. Again, beautiful knife! Just did not feel right to me.

So you try a knife in a store or borrow someone's and clean your fingernails with it. Ewww. :eek::confused:

Easy enough to fix that problem with a couple inexpensive standoffs and added screws.

TJUBN7k.jpg

I had a 940-1 but was not a fan of the blade shape nor BM's iteration of S90V and sold it. I do have a 943-(1) Franken that I keep as I much prefer that blade shape, but it gets carried only very occasionally as the 940 handle is just not a good fit for my thick hands.

vuLjzWB.jpg

My Crooked River is the full size as I'm really a bigger knife guy, but I imagine the miniCR would be a better fit for me given its shape and the comparative photos above.

I like the orange backspacer because its a somewhat tasteful piece of hi-vis. I usually tie orange flagging tape on the lanyard holes of my knives when I'm out in the bush so a bit of orange doesn't bother me at all.

But I have to admit I was very surprised when I handled the 940 and saw the purple backspacer. It was actually a deal breaker for me and I much preferred the green handle to the black. I ended up buying a 940-3 and sort of regret not getting a drop point. I figured I had more than enough drop point blades but my 940-3 just never gets much use and is very rarely in my pocket. So I've yet to experience/understand the bliss of owning a 940...

I like the orange backspacer because its a somewhat tasteful piece of hi-vis. I usually tie orange flagging tape on the lanyard holes of my knives when I'm out in the bush so a bit of orange doesn't bother me at all.

But I have to admit I was very surprised when I handled the 940 and saw the purple backspacer. It was actually a deal breaker for me and I much preferred the green handle to the black. I ended up buying a 940-3 and sort of regret not getting a drop point. I figured I had more than enough drop point blades but my 940-3 just never gets much use and is very rarely in my pocket. So I've yet to experience/understand the bliss of owning a 940...

I have an orange Ti backspacer on my Ace Clyde... for me it's just the combo on the mini crooked just doesn't look clean to me I guess, it looks kind of cheap. That's just my 2 cents I guess. If they sold aftermarket standoffs I'd be a buyer but it's fine. I've got plenty of other working knives.

Last edited:
I have an orange Ti backspacer on my Ace Clyde... for me it's just the combo on tyr mini crooked just doesn't look clean to me I guess, it looks kind of cheap. That's just my 2 cents I guess. If they sold aftermarket standoffs I'd be a buyer but it's fine. I've got plenty of other working knives.
I agree that it isn't the orange part that bothered me--it was the cheap-looking part.

There are numerous sources for aftermarket standoffs. Mine were around 5 bucks plus shipping and came with 4 screws, though I used spare BM clip screws for the additional 2 needed to match the black hardware.

Back