940-1 or mini crooked river

I have and carry both. Of the two, I think I like the mini-CR better... but the 940-2 is what I carry more. The 940 style handle is a better fit for me to work the AXIS lock one-handed than the mini-CR handle. If it weren't for that, I'd carry the mini-CR more than the 940-2.

So you try a knife in a store or borrow someone's and clean your fingernails with it. Ewww. :eek::confused:

Easy enough to fix that problem with a couple inexpensive standoffs and added screws.

TJUBN7k.jpg

I had a 940-1 but was not a fan of the blade shape nor BM's iteration of S90V and sold it. I do have a 943-(1) Franken that I keep as I much prefer that blade shape, but it gets carried only very occasionally as the 940 handle is just not a good fit for my thick hands.

vuLjzWB.jpg

My Crooked River is the full size as I'm really a bigger knife guy, but I imagine the miniCR would be a better fit for me given its shape and the comparative photos above.
I know this post is old but would you mind sharing which standoffs you used that fit. Truth be told that makes it look 100% better. Heck, if BM would have originally made it with orange standoffs 🤯!

I know this post is old but would you mind sharing which standoffs you used that fit. Truth be told that makes it look 100% better. Heck, if BM would have originally made it with orange standoffs 🤯!
The correct size is .175, 2-56 threaded. After unsuccessfully searching for the right size, I got .190's from KnifeKits, tried taking them down on a coarse diamond stone but didn't get far with the first one, gave up and put the slightly smaller one toward the front. They're fine, you can't see the difference (.015), and the knife works just as it should.

Searching my old posts I found a reply from someone that found .180, 2-56 threaded here.

BTW, I used a spare pair of black BMK clip screws for the other side of my Crooked River to keep with the black hardware scheme.

1698791741376.png

1698791821626.png

The correct size is .175, 2-56 threaded. After unsuccessfully searching for the right size, I got .190's from KnifeKits, tried taking them down on a coarse diamond stone but didn't get far with the first one, gave up and put the slightly smaller one toward the front. They're fine, you can't see the difference (.015), and the knife works just as it should.

Searching my old posts I found a reply from someone that found .180, 2-56 threaded here.

BTW, I used a spare pair of black BMK clip screws for the other side of my Crooked River to keep with the black hardware scheme.

View attachment 2375170

View attachment 2375171
TY!

I saw that site has 170 2-56 and 180 2-56 but no 175? I wonder If using the 170 would cause pivot screw to open wider vs. The 180 which theoretically taper in the front toward the pivot screw?

I guess I would rather go with proven results of the 180.

Thanks again.
It looks like a true classic blade rather than that G10 that appeared to be an after thought and at least for me ruined the look.

TY!

I saw that site has 170 2-56 and 180 2-56 but no 175? I wonder If using the 170 would cause pivot screw to open wider vs. The 180 which theoretically taper in the front toward the pivot screw?

I guess I would rather go with proven results of the 180.

Thanks again.
It looks like a true classic blade rather than that G10 that appeared to be an after thought and at least for me ruined the look.
I prefer open back construction, though I have any number of knives with full or partial backspacers. The thing with the CR for me was that the orange G10 backspacer just looked so cheap. You're spot on that the knife looks like a true classic with it gone. Night and day diff....

View attachment 2375170

View attachment 2375171
Nice saw, I like Jonsered. That 2258 kicks butt I hear 🍻

Nice saw, I like Jonsered. That 2258 kicks butt I hear 🍻
Thanks. I like Jonsered a lot too and am disappointed that Husky has discontinued that brand after acquiring it some years ago. It's unlikely, though, that I'll need another as my Jonny 49SP is still running great after almost 50 years' use. The 2258 does indeed kick butt--light, fast, great acceleration, and doesn't bog down in heavy timber. It's also great for limbing and light work. My only complaint is it's a bit of a hard start, but a lot of that's me with two bad shoulders and being more used to starting old-school saws than those more modern. I mostly just have to take a moment and remember the different steps involved...

Last edited:
I love knives, and hunting dogs, and saws, and guns, and maybe three people... :)

Both, the regular and mini 940 have no appeal to me, their handle is to slender for me. Nice knives no doubt, just not my cup of tea. Similar with the mini CR, albeit both CR's are amongst the most elegant recent BM's.

IMG_7937.JPGIMG_7938.JPG

The Mini CR isn't so mini after all.
You are correct; not at all so mini.

The full sized CR is huge, I had one, and gifted it away. The Mini is perfect, size wise. Same with the Loco, the Mini is just right

Nothing mini about most BM's Mini's, except the Mini Grip, that thing is too small for me.

Back