9mm suggestions

Beretta is a good pistol, but a lot of people have had trouble shooting them because of the distance from the backstrap to the trigger. I've got an older Glock 19 that has seen a fair number of rounds through it. Accuracy is much better than I anticipated for this type of sidearm; although the trigger takes some getting used to or work by a good armorer. What is wrong with hand-loading that SA Ruger? Don't own one in that caliber at present, but with good loads, it is a fine flat-shooting revolver that is a lot of fun in the field. It will do everything a 32-20 will do & the Ruger frame allows you to get decent velocity out of the round without any damage. A friend of mine uses one with hand-loads to dispatch ground hogs, rabbits, coyotes at close range, as well as fox & a few other things. His is very accurate, doesn't make a lot of noise, has nearly no recoil, & is comfortable in the field. With proper loads, it would make a pretty good housegun too.

Also, check CDNN for close-outs on the Taurus double-action .30 carbine pistols, if you might like a DA wheelie in .30...

John

John...the Bancharo? You caught me when I'm broke...

I tend not to bother anymore (I'm more used to service grade triggers than good ones) but I've had good luck with Tetra in the past. Just squirt a drop or two in the innards and things smooth right up. Granted, it won't last forever, but there are a lot of drops in that bottle. It's noticeable even on a SAR-3. :)

A Beretta printing 2" at 50 yards? Not saying that it can't be done, but...if these are service grade Berettas with service grade ammunition, I would like to see this first hand. If it's true, I will practice more. A lot more. And I'm going to want a case of ammo from that lot. ;)

If we're talking hand selected or tuned weapons and ammo, that's another matter entirely. Probably my greatest praise for the M9 is its accuracy. It may be a matter of familiarity, but I have yet to shoot a M1911 or M11 to the level that I can manage with the M9.

Great discussion...

Sig 210. Wish I had one. best reason to own a 9mm, in my opinion.

I like the BHP. Brother in law has one.

CZ75 shoots well. I thought they made an SA only version too. My little hands would need that.

How about a blackhawk convertible, in 357/9mm?

second best reason to own a 9mm!

Tom

I have a Glock 17 with the old-style grip (straight, no grooves) which didn't suit me too well at first. I added an $8 Hogue hand-all grip and now it's perfect for me.

But if I were buying a new one I'd probably go with a BHP, I'm a sucker for a single action.

Was at my local gunstore makarov.com and the fellow there was showing me a Walther and was saying they were really accurate. I'm thinking the model was 88? And it had like maybe a 3 or 4" barrel? Sights were real good on it and felt really good in the hand.

Also looked at a FEG? Detective Hi Power. That didn't feel as good as the Walther but still pretty damn nice.

DKP said:
. What is wrong with hand-loading that SA Ruger? Don't own one in that caliber at present, but with good loads, it is a fine flat-shooting revolver that is a lot of fun in the field. It will do everything a 32-20 will do & the Ruger frame allows you to get decent velocity out of the round without any damage. A friend of mine uses one with hand-loads to dispatch ground hogs, rabbits, coyotes at close range, as well as fox & a few other things. His is very accurate, doesn't make a lot of noise, has nearly no recoil, & is comfortable in the field. With proper loads, it would make a pretty good housegun too.

Haven't ruled one of those out either. With the single action and long barrel I can't help but think they'd be pretty accurate, and looks like about 360 bucks.

IMHO, if you are looking for a 9mm, you just can't go wrong with a Glock 19 or 17. I like the shorter 19 personally. The gun eats anything you feed it. I have never had a jam or malfunction after several thousands rounds. It is very accurate, easy to maintain, easy to field strip, and easy to completely disassemble. A 3/32 punch is the only tool you need.

The Glock's main must-have-attribute to me is its reliability. Never sacrifice reliability for anything.

Semp

Runs With Scissors said:
My wifes been coveting a Hi-Power for alot of years now, so it seems a CZ may also be worth a look. (She's lookin' to scale down from her 1911 due to carpal tunnel and bursitis)

I have a 1911 and a BHP. I'd say the Hi-Power doesn't really kick any less; just differently. The Colt gives you a push and the Browning is more snappy.

A 6 inch S&W 686 with 38 specials is heavy but only has a mild recoil. Much more comfy.

hollowdweller said:
This would be mainly for shooting at targets.

Then the other I have always liked is the Browning Hi Power. Just always thought that one was real comfortable, but can't remember much more cause last time I shot one was 30 years ago.

So anybody got any of these? How do they shoot? I am most interested in accuracy and jam free ness and trigger pull and good visible sights.

The Hi-Power is a nice comfortable pistol. finding one with adjustable sights can be a pain sometimes, and the triggers on them are not stellar without a little attention.

Have you considered a 1911 in 9mm? These are easier to tweak for target work.

I own two Browning Hi-Powers (one newer version, one an older Belgian version), a Glock 19, Glock 26, a Smith and Wesson 910, and a Smith and Wesson 6906, all in 9mm which is my favorite caliber. I love the appearance and accuracy of the Hi-Powers and how well they fit my hand, but found them not quite as reliable as the Glocks even after some tweaking, so the Glocks, as ugly as they may be, are my defense and carry guns. If you prefer a longer barrel I believe the Glock 34 is the longer barrel version in 9mm, if I remember correctly. The Smith and Wessons don't fit my hands as nicely and I don't shoot them as well - the 910 I bought as a favor from a priest-friend who was leaving the country and had to make a quick sale, but I can't seem to hit the side of a barn with it. Almost bought a Sig 210 as I heard so many good things about Sigs, however I changed my mind after shooting one at the range - my hands are on the smallish side and Sigs are made for larger hands I think. I received a beautiful Beretta 96 Centurion in 40S&W as a gift and love the gun but hate the caliber - I wonder if there is some way to convert a 96 into a 92? Good luck on your gun hunting!

philthygeezer said:
I have a 1911 and a BHP. I'd say the Hi-Power doesn't really kick any less; just differently. The Colt gives you a push and the Browning is more snappy.

A 6 inch S&W 686 with 38 specials is heavy but only has a mild recoil. Much more comfy.

She's had one picked out for a couple years now. It was a NICE custom from Cylinder & Slide that was making rounds through our circle of friends Now, it has stopped with my best buddy who refuses to sell or trade it to her :grumpy: In any case she's put a few hundred rounds through that one, before confirming her love for it. She's also had the chance to carry it for a month or so and even though it weighs in about the same as her 1911 (Springfield Champion) found it to be easier carrying.

On a sidenote, I doubt she'll ever be into a revolver...*L* Her hands are so friggin' tiny even a K-frame is too big for her. A J-frame fits her, but she's got some deepseated animosity towards the old five shooter I just can't quite understand... :confused:

bah....women....go figger, eh? :D

Satori said:
A Beretta printing 2" at 50 yards? Not saying that it can't be done, but...if these are service grade Berettas with service grade ammunition, I would like to see this first hand. If it's true, I will practice more. A lot more. And I'm going to want a case of ammo from that lot. ;)

He was talking about the Beretta Elite I'd mentioned earlier in the thread. They're like a custom version of the 92 with a decocker only. They're nice and tight and the barrel is closely mated to the slide, unlike the service model.

There's one on www.gunsamerica.com right now in Kentucky. I emailed the guy and it seems to be LNIB for only $550! One of you guys should pick it up at that price. I REALLY WANT to, but I've got some custom knives coming soon and a vacation coming up. I'll be kicking myself later.

I own a Taurus PT-99 and Sprinfield XD-40s in both the 5" model and the 3" subcompact. All great pistols in my opinion. I've been looking at the Taurus 100SSPRL just to have a frame similar to the PT-99 but in a .40. First I gotta buy a house and a motorcycle though.

efb

If you like the Browning HP check out this website ( www.thedealerwarehouse.com) they have Argentina FM made copies of the Hi-Power full size and Detecive(new, 1 inch shorter slide and barell) models for no more than 350 shipping and handling included. Plus what ever your FFL holder charges

James

depusm12 said:
If you like the Browning HP check out this website ( www.thedealerwarehouse.com) they have Argentina FM made copies of the Hi-Power full size and Detecive(new, 1 inch shorter slide and barell) models for no more than 350 shipping and handling included. Plus what ever your FFL hoder charges

James

I hear those Argentine models are just fine. I'd buy one.

Back