A $6 flea market "project knife" ...

Ran across this Robeson Barlow knife at the local flea market this morning. I simply buy knives and other "things" as part of my collecting hobby, so after having an interest in an item, it's the condition it's in that I look at next. I've been pretty lucky in finding some nice specimen items for my collection, (on the cheap), at the flea market. Well, it was only $6 to buy this knife, but it obviously had a pretty rough shape blade, (ugly active rust).
Although I normally pass on rough specimens, I do sometimes take in ones that may have what I consider "salvation". So, I decided to buy it and make it today's project.

Here are some pictures telling a part of that project's story...

Last edited:
Thanks, guys!
The stuff definitely works in removing the rust, and does not hurt the good steel at all, but of course it leaves behind any damage the rust may have caused.
The pics above don't show the elbow grease it took for it to look as it now does.
In any case, I do recommend the Evapo-Rust product :)

The steps taken were as follows...

Wiped the blade clean of any loose grime and oil.

Submerged the blade into a test tube having the evapo-rust, but only enough solution to submerge the blade, since I did not need it on the handle area, and did not want to have to super clean out the handle by having submerged it in the solution.

Waited about an hour for it to do it's thing. It usually takes 1 to 24 hours, all depending how much rust is on an item.

Once I removed the blade from the solution, I gave it a clean water rinse.

Now I could see what damage the rust had caused, and it was not unworkable, but deep enough that it required sanding with different grits of sandpaper until final 0000 steel wooling with Mother's Wheel polish.

Worked on the handle where needed.

Wiped it all down.

Re-sharpened the blade.

Flushed it completey with a light oil aerosol can blasting.

Wiped down all excess oil.

Complete :)

I have used the stuff on a few other projects, so I keep a stash of it handy, just in case ;)

This knife seemed to have been neglected by having bad storage, (hence the nasty blade rust). It was obvious to me that it's cutting edge was the factory original and still very sharp, but my steps in restoring it from the rust damage it had, required me to have to lightly resharpen it.
I don't believe it's a very old knife, likely having been made by Camillus under Robeson contract.
I'm guessing 1960 to 1970? Not sure, but that would be my guess.

Last edited:
Great Job! I suspect Camillus made as well, I have a Hibbert Spencer and Bartlett OVB daddy Barlow I believe is Camillus made. From what I've seen most companies daddy size barlow's have a nail nick at the apex of the spine,where the spine and clip/swedge meet. In Camillus ones it's out from the apex towards the point,along the clip/swedge area. But I am by no means an expert, just a general observation. Daddy barlows are a favorite pattern of mine, and that Robeson is a fine looking example :thumbsup:

Excellent job, it looks great! :)
Did you drop it in your pocket after you finished?

Now I'm gonna have to look for that stuff and try it out. I have lots of old pickups and throw in knives that came with ones I wanted, that have just been sitting in drawers and need to be restored.

Back