A $6 flea market "project knife" ...

You did a great job and it looks good.

Personally I would have just put it to use and get some good patina on it, but at $6 you can't really go wrong no matter what you do.

A friend of mine was with me at the flea market when I purchased the knife. I discussed with him my plans of using the evapo-rust to start the knife off with the refurbishment.
Anyhow, he was very interested in the product because he had just picked up some rusty old gears that his wife wanted for placing candles in. He was definitely wanting to see if the stuff works. I sent him pics of my knife in completed form, and was then even more intrigued. So, since I still had a full unopened bottle stashed away, I gave him the rest of the bottle I was using on the knife, (probably still more than 3/4 full).
I asked if he would send me a before and after pic of the gears when he's done. If he does, I'll try to share the pics here to show another real world example of what the stuff does.
I believe the US military has/does use it, and my understanding is that it can be had in as much as 55 gallon drums... Now that there would clean one mother load of knives! ;)

I've seen some real rust bucket fixed blades and pocketknives at the flea market, but most are simply too far hurt by the rust for me to consider them "salvageable". The evapo-rust would do it's job on them, removing all the rust, but the remaining healthy steel would be way too harmed with deep pits and disfigured surfaces. This would require major surgery by having to possibly grind down to the point of really changing the thickness, shape, and likely the integrity of the blades. Also, if the backaprings on the knife have way too much rust on them, it would be hard for the solution to work it's magic on them because of it having little to no access to those sandwiched in surfaces.
When the hurt on a knife is likely too much, I personally pass on the idea of refurbishing them..

Last edited:
What a great find! Robeson knives are very high quality and it seems most flea market vendors seem to way over-value them or toss them into the junk box. It's always worth looking though ;)

Back