A BK15 Finally

It really is an outstanding knife, isn't it. Only thing I'd like to change is grips that come all the way to the edge, covering up the finger guard below the choil. I've been looking to make a set in antler, but can't make the time.

Zieg

It really is an outstanding knife, isn't it. Only thing I'd like to change is grips that come all the way to the edge, covering up the finger guard below the choil. I've been looking to make a set in antler, but can't make the time.

Zieg
It is a great knife :thumbsup: if and when you find time please post a pic :D

It is a great knife :thumbsup: if and when you find time please post a pic :D
I will, you can be sure. I should be able to come up with a shed or two this Spring. Bound to be plenty of elk antler nearby.

Zieg

The 15 is a fantastic knife.

ZZgrArk.jpg

I use my 15 more than all my other Beckers. The 14 is a close second. Enjoy!

Ditto - tho, that's prolly cuz I've got 3 or 4 of them, so I have one pretty much no matter what pack/bag I grab. Even brought one to Puerto Rico on vacation - where I am currently. Handy for cutting up a huge mango at the guest house where we're staying - shoulda got a pic, I know - and I'm sure I'll be using it again. I wasn't interested in them when they came out, bought a used one from the Exchange a few months later (because that's what Beckerheads do) and had a revelation. Perfect size, useful in the kitchen, field and for EDC - yeah. My go-to fixed blade. Shame they were discontinued, tho I get it. Prolly a lot of folks like I was - trailing point, no thanks. I should've known better. Uncle E and Jerry Fisk know WTH they're doing....as exemplified by the 15.

It took me three tries with the BK15 to finally catch on to it. Now, it's on the keeper side of my arsenal. These Tweeners fill a great gap and I found my own 15 is used more than my other Beckers.

I use my 15 more than all my other Beckers. The 14 is a close second. Enjoy!
This has been my experience as well with the BK-15. It is just such a useful knife. Of all the discontinued Beckers, this is the one I miss. The BK-14 is a very useful little knife as well and I prefer it over the BK-24. I just can't get my BK-24 as sharp as I'd like and I got tired of trying.

This has been my experience as well with the BK-15. It is just such a useful knife. Of all the discontinued Beckers, this is the one I miss. The BK-14 is a very useful little knife as well and I prefer it over the BK-24. I just can't get my BK-24 as sharp as I'd like and I got tired of trying.
Keep trying it will get very sharp too ;) Takes a little longer is all :D

i love mine, but like granitestateofmind said, i wasn't real interested at first. aesthetically, the trailing point didn't do much for me. then they were discontinued.... so i got one just for the hell of it. then i used it a few times and something clicked. based on that experience, i saved my pennies and bought a 5 "for the wife" a couple of years later. she doesn't appreciate it quite like i do though.
in retrospect, i should have bought a few of each. a few years back i bought shorty kabars for each of my girls. if i knew then what i know now, they'd have been bk15s. or, maybe 16s. i hear a lot of good things about them too. nothing against the shortys though. they're a pretty solid knife too, but i'd pick a 15 for preference any day of the week.

i love mine, but like granitestateofmind said, i wasn't real interested at first. aesthetically, the trailing point didn't do much for me. then they were discontinued.... so i got one just for the hell of it. then i used it a few times and something clicked. based on that experience, i saved my pennies and bought a 5 "for the wife" a couple of years later. she doesn't appreciate it quite like i do though.
in retrospect, i should have bought a few of each. a few years back i bought shorty kabars for each of my girls. if i knew then what i know now, they'd have been bk15s. or, maybe 16s. i hear a lot of good things about them too. nothing against the shortys though. they're a pretty solid knife too, but i'd pick a 15 for preference any day of the week.
If your wife doesn’t appreciate the 5, that means it yours. I think after I pick up a 9 the search for a 5 will begin.
Chuck

my daypack BK15 with me on vaca in Puerto Rico (I kinda developed a thing for the 15 - I have a couple. Or so.):

In the kitchen at our guesthouse in Luquillo:

46502463805_8a5f76bf86_c.jpg

33541812588_ffcb741542_c.jpg

At the beach in Fajardo:

46502466035_aa01b59bd6_c.jpg

It's a shame the 15 has been disco'd - for all of those later to the party than me. I remember they were on MD for seriously cheap $ before I knew they were going away....if I'd have known, I woulda bought 10 of 'em. I was already set at that point, tho...

Also: I've put liners in all of mine to beef up the handle a bit. I don't have big hands, but a 1-2 mil rubber mat under each scale (or custom wood handles with a scoche more thickness) puts the 15 (and the rest of the tweeners) over the top, IMO. YMMV.

Custom 15 I did - my EDC 15, with a sheath by our own nixcustoms:

31549342366_2a0325f435_b.jpg

You're lucky to have found one, friend.

Back