A couple questions about Benchmade

Recently I've been eyeing a couple Benchmade models. I love the fact that they're made in USA, and the Axis lock seems plain cool. However, again and again I read that BM's fit and finish has become noticeably worse in recent years, with issues such as blade play, locks breaking, poor centering, sloppy grinds, etc. Are these issues truly as common as some reviews/forum posts make it seem? I don't freak out about a mildly off-center blade or a bit of blade play, but I would like to make sure I'm not buying something that has a good chance of being a lemon.

Also, for light EDC duty, which of the following BMs would you recommend? I generally like knives that have a lot of blade for their weight and carry somewhat discretely.
-940 Osbourne
-943 Osbourne
-707 Sequel
-484 Nakamura

I have, I think, 4 Benchmades, all of which are excellent at their varying price points.

Doesn't really mean anything beyond an anecdotal "all of mine are fine" but even if you get one that is too off for your taste, their QC and CS have always been quite good, in my limited experience.

I wouldn't sweat it.

And any of those models would be sweet. If you can, go and handle them.

That'll narrow the field for you in a hurry.

If you don't mind a little blade play go for it. I would go with the 710. A quintessential folder.

I love my BMs, but every one of them has noticeable blade play from the factory, and a few I ordered off their custom shop had sketchy grinds. Nothing that deterred me from the knife or the company though.

I just bought a 710-1401 from knifeworks. It was only a bit more in price than a plain 710.Blue and black sculptured G10 scales, M390 steel and beautiful polished split arrow clip.It is very, very nice.It is beautiful and the action is very smooth.I recommend it highly!

I always have a 530 in my pocket.For me an ideal super light EDC.

I will admit I was a little scared to get the 710...but it is excellent.

Get what you like best!!

I have owned a barrage and have 2 griptilians. No blade play. Grinds are great and blade centering is just a little off but I dont care about that. The griptilians are both just a few weeks old.

I acquired two Benchamdes in 2014, a Contego and a Griptillian.

The Contego had one of the most consistent and sharpest factory edges I have ever received. Its lockup is tight and the blade is centered perfectly. The Contego's edge is second only to a recently acquired Cold Steel product.

The Griptillian had a pretty uneven edge. One side was a noticeable 5 degrees steeper than the other. It also was pretty roughly finished and not very sharp. The blade was centered, but had some play in it out of the box. I reprofiled the edge on diamond stones, which took a little time to do, but now is perfect. A careful adjustment of the pivot screw fixed up the blade play.

Its the difference in a $90 knife and a $175 knife. I personally think the Grip is a fantastic knife except that it is, in my opinion, about $20 overpriced. I think it is comparable to the Spyderco Endura and should be priced accordingly. However, with a little work, mine has been a great knife and is carried often.

I have an REI grip with the S30V plain edge and G10 scales.The centering was off a tiny bit.I just made it perfect by loosening the spacers and the pivot...applied force to the scale to steer the tip and re-tightened. Perfect!

I wonder how many happy owners there are that never post here...

Recently I've been eyeing a couple Benchmade models. I love the fact that they're made in USA, and the Axis lock seems plain cool. However, again and again I read that BM's fit and finish has become noticeably worse in recent years, with issues such as blade play, locks breaking, poor centering, sloppy grinds, etc. Are these issues truly as common as some reviews/forum posts make it seem? I don't freak out about a mildly off-center blade or a bit of blade play, but I would like to make sure I'm not buying something that has a good chance of being a lemon.

Also, for light EDC duty, which of the following BMs would you recommend? I generally like knives that have a lot of blade for their weight and carry somewhat discretely.
-940 Osbourne
-943 Osbourne
-707 Sequel
-484 Nakamura

You want a lot of blade?, try the 940 Osborne I held one it's really lightweight for it's size and blade length.
or the 710 also a lot of blade for the price !

Keep in mind the ergonomics of all those knives are very different from each other.

I have personally found BM's quality control to be lacking. Poor centering, uneven bevels, various fit & finish issues.

I , too , have heard many stories about BM's dwindling QC as of late. I've just recently begun buying Benchmades again after an 18 month hiatus due to their MAP sitch. I resumed my BM collection with purchasing a new 710 (D2) and it is perfect. Fit and finish is outstanding. Perfectly centered. No blade play. So I can't say that I have any first hand experience with subpar QC Benchmades. I love the 710 and I highly recommend you visit a knife shop and handle one to see how it feels to you. That's the only way you're really going to know what works for you and what doesn't.

But I have to say that Benchmades are definitely overpriced for what you get. For the money , you could do much better with another brand. Just my opinion.

Last edited:
-940 Osbourne
-943 Osbourne

I notice that these are all very popular on the forums. The 581 is also very popular but is a bit thicker and heavier than the ones you mention. The 710 is closer to the size that I like. I also like the new Stryker model, 908.

Thanks everyone. So far it seems like there have been experiences ranging from very positive to very negative in terms of quality. So I guess they're just like most knife companies in that regard. I'd certainly like to pull the trigger on one in the near future. If that happens, I'll be sure to show some pictures!

I've got two BM knives, both acquired before the turn of the century. Not much insight into current production, but they do seem to hold up well over time.

I just bought a 710-1401 from knifeworks. It was only a bit more in price than a plain 710.Blue and black sculptured G10 scales, M390 steel and beautiful polished split arrow clip.It is very, very nice.It is beautiful and the action is very smooth.I recommend it highly!

I have had a few 710 variants, including this one. I just got a 940, which is excellent.
sonnydaze

I think one of the factors is that a lot of folks who tend to come to places like this develop a very high standard very quickly. This can be good for some, and bad for others, so I would say that you have to really consider exactly what the complaints are. Some guys are going to notice 0.001" of difference, and some are going to notice 0.1". if you want an art piece, then call a dealer and pay extra for a perfect one. If you are looking for a user, relax. Benchmade has a decent warranty like everyone else, and if you do end up with a true lemon, they will fix it. Also keep in mind that people are more likely to complain than compliment.

As for price, I can't give much advice on that, other than to say that is a decision that you need to make yourself. Knives have a certain production cost, a design and development cost, and a certain brand cost. you have to decide how much you think is in each of those brackets, and how that is going to effect your purchasing decision. Can you buy as much knife for that much cost? maybe you can. I don't know that its easy to make that decision. If you found two knives you liked from two different companies that were very similar, then you can make that decision, but to make a blanket call that Benchmades are over-priced is pretty bold.

I think one of the factors is that a lot of folks who tend to come to places like this develop a very high standard very quickly. This can be good for some, and bad for others, so I would say that you have to really consider exactly what the complaints are. Some guys are going to notice 0.001" of difference, and some are going to notice 0.1". if you want an art piece, then call a dealer and pay extra for a perfect one. If you are looking for a user, relax. Benchmade has a decent warranty like everyone else, and if you do end up with a true lemon, they will fix it. Also keep in mind that people are more likely to complain than compliment.

As for price, I can't give much advice on that, other than to say that is a decision that you need to make yourself. Knives have a certain production cost, a design and development cost, and a certain brand cost. you have to decide how much you think is in each of those brackets, and how that is going to effect your purchasing decision. Can you buy as much knife for that much cost? maybe you can. I don't know that its easy to make that decision. If you found two knives you liked from two different companies that were very similar, then you can make that decision, but to make a blanket call that Benchmades are over-priced is pretty bold.

I think Benchmades are expensive.But they are marvelous too!Your point about complaint/praise ratio is very true.After I got my new 710 and inspected it I called Knifeworks.I told the girl on the phone who I was and what I had just received...then I told her I was delighted and thanked her very much.
I would bet money that happens to her rarely...if at all.I am glad they decided to sell that variant...and I am even happier to have scored it!

As Stated, all are perfect! For me the 940 is about the most perfect Pocket carry a man can have, Just switch out the ugly clip for a split arrow stainless one

940. I even grab it over my PM2, nearly every time.
18101717844_0d6561dbff_z.jpg

Back