A couple questions about Benchmade

I bought a Benchmade Panther in about '93(?) and have owned others since. The only one I have now is the Panther and I treasure it, but don't carry it much anymore. IMO, it has a very classy blade/handle profile....something about the lines of the blade. It's probably number 3 or 4 of all my knives as far as time in my pocket or boot in a lot of places. It was never carried in the wild though.

Today I think Benchmade is probably as good as anyone out there in their price range. For me their overall line is a bit 'light' as far as build and blade thicknesses; seems to be play potential and not quite the sturdiness in feel that I prefer. Their few heavier duty models don't appeal to me. They certainly make good knives though. Just one of those preference things.

I think their higher end autos are very good too.

I would be concerned about the smaller of the knives you listed. I have a mini-grip and, while I absolutely love the axis lock, I rarely carry it because of the small handle size. The 707 and 484 might have similar issues. I do have extra large hands and find the Spyderco Delica a much better fit for me ergonomically in that size range. If we're talking the 940, I'm with you 100% and I am certain there's one in my future. :) Also, I don't see any on your list, but I dont see the point of the axis-assist. The manual axis is so smooth and fast, I cant see the value of an assist mechanism.

I've had this one for so long I can't even remember the model number. But it's been a fantastic daily carrier, and there's virtually no blade play, even after all these years. It opens smooth as glass, and has a great balance between holding an edge and being tough as nails. I'm not familiar with the newer models, but I've always assumed they were well worth the money. It's sad to hear that their QC has gone down hill.
BM_zpsiy7bkbjj.jpg

I have a 943, 710, 556, and 51. The 943's blade centering is off a little bit, but it's my favorite of the bunch it's lightweight, and smoothest of all my axis locks.

I have always had good experiences with Bencmade. I had one knife with the axis-assist it is the Benchmade Volli. I however removed the coil spring and I like the knife a hundred times better. I also have a 950-1401 and 940-1 and they are perfect. The centering is absolutely spoton with no blade play and super smooth action. They also have some of the most even grinds I have seen from the factory. I think u couldnt go wrong with a 940 for blade size to weight.

Want a lot of blade for the weight and don't even know it's in your pocket? Get a 940.

They aren't as good a value as they were 2 years ago, but they still have good customer service and $35 or so blade replacements. Something to consider.

I would not recommend the 707 for EDC. Gentleman folder, fine. The handle is very small, smaller than a mini grip, and it's just hard for me to ever really have a firm, comfortable, confident grip on it.

get either the 710 or the REI Griptilian. When it comes down to how much blade you get with the most easy to carry ergonomics the 710 is the best there is. Nearly a 4 inch blade and when carried its easy to forget you even have it on you. I have had many Benchmades only the 710 had an issue it was always off center. Learned the trick to fix it and now it is center with zero play. Idk what ppl are talking about when they say Axis lock knives always have play and that its normal and fine. NO its not! Benchmade has never designed lockrock into the Axis system! All my other Axis knives have been rock solid out of the box and only ever develop play or go off center when I EDC them hard over a good period of time. Easy and simple to fix with torx bits and some loc tite. My 581 has been to hell and back yet is still stone cold solid action has become even faster over time. 940 just isnt for me. I had read so much hype about them over the years then finally got to handle a couple at my local knife shop. I dont see what the big deal is at all besides being easily concealable. Looks like a bigger knife than it is. I was surprised at how small it actually is. 940 just didnt have enough usable blade for me.

REI Griptilian. This knife has been one of the best knife purchases I have ever made. I have had a few regualar grips with the cheap plastic handle that make that super cheap sounding clickety clack sound opening and closing. The regular big Grip is just to thick for what it is and doesnt have good ergos for its thickness. The REI Grip on the other hand has a high quality black and green contoured flow through design handle. Yes its still thick but ergos are 100% better with al the contouring in the scales and I dont think its quite as thick as the reg big Grip. LOVE the blade on the REI. Awesome S30V full sized blade that came with a perfectly even and razor sharp edge. Action out of the box was perfect. Expensive but still the best big Grip out there that isnt some super custom jobby. Very easy to keep lubed and clean as well. Mine cuts like a custom knife. Doesnt get carried much just because I dont want to F up such a nice knife.

Mini grips are awesome. I got the custom linen micarta scales from KSF on mine which have totally different ergos than standard which improve the knife tons.

Knifeworks exclusive 710-1401. THIS is your larger ultra easy to carry gentlemans folder. Super nice 3D machined blue black G10 handle, stand offs instead of a backspacer and an M390 blade which is worth the price of entry alone. I have to keep my D2 710 blade always cleaned and waxed if I dont it will start rusting up in a day. The M390 blade on the other hand has had zero issues with anything at all despite getting well used sweated on, wet etc. Had my D2 710 pro sharpened on a wicked edge increasing its cutting performance easily by 4 times. Will soon be sending off the M390 version for the same treatment and have been told Ill be able to get and hold an even finer edge due to the nature of the M390.

707? Meh...nice little knife. 943 is just a weird looking 940. 710 is still in my opinion the best knife Benchmade has ever produced. To me its the 21st centuries Buck 110. Stone solid one handed opener and closer, the action gets even sweeter the longer you use it and its just a LOT of blade in one slick slim package.

I have/had several benchmades to include a 583bk barrage, 710, 940bk, and 3 different regular size grips. Waiting on a contego to get here hopefully this week. From all of my other models they have been 9/10. I only have one used grip but the rest have been fine. The 940 which I just got last week, I absolutly love.. maybe even more than my PM2 which is surprising because it was my 2nd favorite right behind my Sebenza 25. There were some complaints that I have with it but it's nothing I can't fix myself. The Pivot screw didn't have loctite and within the first day the screw started to back out. The blade is just barely off center, and the grind on the blade was maybe a 16th of an inch. It was sharp but it was so steep and thick it wouldn't cut. I just got that 940 so it could happen to you but the 940 or the 710 you won't be disappointed with. only thing on my 710 I don't like is the scales.

Or if you want a grip, get a doug ritter grip.

The 484-1 Nakamura has caught my eye lately. The CF/S90V combo is a favorite of mine. Seems a bit pricey for what you get. But I still like it.

It may depend on hand size and pocket size, as to what you might like. I have 3 mini grips and a 707 Sequel. All lock up tight and the blades are fine and centered. The M4 blade on one of the minis is outstanding. I have medium size hands, not large, and I like the 707. If you have large hands, you may not care for it.

Back