A.G. Russell Acies 2 -- first impressions

I am not sure that as a dealer-member that I am allowed to give you a link to the knife, however my signature will take you to my web site where you can search for what you want.

all the best,

A. G.

I don't have an Acies2 (yet) but as a casual observer I have to say that the customer service by AG Russell is simply amazing!!! Oh how I wish there were more knife companies that were this responsive to customer needs.

I like the looks of this knife but if I got one I would want to remove the pocket clip and drop the knife in my pocket.

Can anyone comment on how the Acies 2 looks and feels with the clip removed?

Thanks.

I have the original Acies with clip temporarily removed and it looks and feels terrific. Sans clip, this large folder feels much thinner in the hand.

The result would be similar with Acies2. But since it is smaller, I personally wouldn't feel the need to remove the clip. YMMV.

I like the design of the deep-pocket clip used on both models very much (and would like even more if they were stonewashed.) But if you are used to going clipless, Acies2 should fit very comfortably in both your pocket and hand.

I hope this helps.

I have the original Acies with clip temporarily removed and it looks and feels terrific. Sans clip, this large folder feels much thinner in the hand.

The result would be similar with Acies2. But since it is smaller, I personally wouldn't feel the need to remove the clip. YMMV.

I like the design of the deep-pocket clip used on both models very much (and would like even more if they were stonewashed.) But if you are used to going clipless, Acies2 should fit very comfortably in both your pocket and hand.

I hope this helps.

Thank you for the summary, flash900. That's what I wanted to know. I hope to get an Acies2 as soon as funds permit. Looks like a knife I would be very fond of.

I just ordered it today.
Was curious about it enough after watching
YouTube videos. Saw one video where a guy got a bad one
And was sent a better one. That's good service for me to try it.

I believe that was the now discontinued original Acies.

And, yes, customers swear by their service.

I was told at Blade show 2011 by a representative of AG Russel knives that if I wasnt the original purchaser of my Acie one , that they wouldnt warranty the knife:(
That didnt even sound right to me................. but thats what he said.
Kind of turned me away from AG Russel (so to speak) but I still bought a Acie 2 anyway ......LOL
Has anyone sent a knife in for service that they didnt buy fron AG Russel themselves ??? Did they fix it ? Or was it a Hassel ?

That sounds a bit strange since Kershaw manufactured the knife for them. I would think Kershaw would have some responsibility over warranty coverage as well.

Anyways, I hope to have an Acies II when I go to the AG Russell knife show at the end of this month :D

I was told at Blade show 2011 by a representative of AG Russel knives that if I wasnt the original purchaser of my Acie one , that they wouldnt warranty the knife:(
Kind of turned me away from AG Russel (so to speak) but I still bought a Acie 2 anyway ......LOL
Has anyone sent a knife in for service that they didnt buy fron AG Russel themselves ??? Did they fix it ? Or was it a Hassel ?

Not quite correct: Our guarantee is very simple. We guarantee that the CUSTOMER will be satisfied with his knife, the customer decides what satisfaction means and how long it should last. When the customer sells the knife that ends our guarantee and it is replaced with a simple warranty which covers flaws in materials and workmanship. If you break the tip of the blade as a second owner then we will charge you to put a new tip on it.

This has worked really well for a bit more than 40 years. I based the guarantee and warranty on how I would want to be treated. I have found my customers to be fair in their claims with very few exceptions.

Not quite correct: Our guarantee is very simple. We guarantee that the CUSTOMER will be satisfied with his knife, the customer decides what satisfaction means and how long it should last. When the customer sells the knife that ends our guarantee and it is replaced with a simple warranty which covers flaws in materials and workmanship. If you break the tip of the blade as a second owner then we will charge you to put a new tip on it.

This has worked really well for a bit more than 40 years. I based the guarantee and warranty on how I would want to be treated. I have found my customers to be fair in their claims with very few exceptions.
Thank you ....this is good news compared to how I understood what the guy said ......... I obviously mis-took what he said or he just worded it wrong .....LOL
That sounds fair to me .............
I thought I had an issue with the lock being more than 50 - 60 percent over but it seems it hasnt moved any more since then , so Iam still ok with it the way it is.
Thanks for responding and setting things straight........ I appreciate that to the fullest. That is good customer service also ....IMO

So after carrying the acies2 a few weeks I like it.
Really nice. Super sharp blade and I like the way the thumb ramps
Flick the blade open. I have been using it lightly since
I am an office guy. I never use the clip so I am probably going to remove it
So it fits nicer into my pocket of dress pants.
Only possible change I could imagine is to
Have the blade spine rounded off instead of the way it is.
Stone washed blade would've been nice too.

Overall a great purchase though. Very pleased so far.

So after carrying the acies2 a few weeks I like it.
Really nice. Super sharp blade and I like the way the thumb ramps
Flick the blade open. I have been using it lightly since
I am an office guy. I never use the clip so I am probably going to remove it
So it fits nicer into my pocket of dress pants.
Only possible change I could imagine is to
Have the blade spine rounded off instead of the way it is.
Stone washed blade would've been nice too.

Overall a great purchase though. Very pleased so far.

Agreed on the stonewashing and rounding of the blade spine.

Re opening and closing: mine continues to get smoother.

This ranks with my Sebs and Les Georges in quality and has the best price of any in that group.

Been carrying a new acies2 for a couple of weeks. I like this knife. I find it different to flick open compared to a small sebenza but actually easier. The thumb stud is perfectly shaped for a quick flick.

I am really impressed by the blade shape and material. It has a great slicer shape and everything I hear about ZDP189 is that it is a great blade steel. It came razor sharp and holds its edge well.

My only complaint is that because it is dual stud that when closing the knife the groove in the lock bar it right where I'd normally push it to close so I have to move my thumb up a little. A little inconvenience but not a big issue.

Love the size, the fit and finish, the titanium scales, the deep carry pocket clip and the company..A G Russell. And at a cost of about $50 less than a small sebenza a great deal. A real winner!

For those who may not care for the shiny clip on the Acies2 -- wait 'till you see the clip on the new A.G. Russell Gentleman's Frame Lock.

Actually, the Gentleman's Frame Lock comes with TWO clips -- regular and deep-pocket, and they match the folder's bead-blasted Ti handles. The deep-pocket version is thinner than the excellent Acies2 deep-pocket clip.

The Gentleman is roughly the same size, shape and light weight (3 oz) as the Acies2, with dual, angled thumb studs; Hinderer stabilizer; and a nifty, 3-inch, drop point blade that is just a bit wider than its older stable mate.

There are three major differences:

The Gentleman's Frame Lock opens with either studs or flipper! Like my Acies and Acies2, the Gentleman was a bit rough before break in and I gave it a shot of Tuf Glide. The flipper now is super smooth but requires just a bit of wrist flick.

While the Gentleman is made in China, like most of A.G. Russell's new models, it uses Japanese VG10 steel. Mine is super sharp!

The third major difference is the price: at $165, it's just over half that of the Acies2.

This has knocked everything else out of my pocket. It is a wonderful EDC folder. A.G. is to be congratulated (again) for raising the bar while lowering the price.

I wonder if A G Russell will make any bead-blasted clips available for the Acies or Acies2? I saw in another thread that Mr. Russell said that all new knives are coming with the newer clips.

I wonder if A G Russell will make any bead-blasted clips available for the Acies or Acies2? I saw in another thread that Mr. Russell said that all new knives are coming with the newer clips.
I am going to have a handful bead blasted and will post in BF when they are done

A. G.

Back