A KNIFE FOR THE END OF THE WORLD...Himalayan Imports khukuris...

Most any of theirs would do...keep in mind this is not one of the big ones or really strong ones or even one of their prettier ones...this one is the WWII Model...

if the Army were ever to drop me again into the Great Unknown, THIS knife is what i would take...huge indestructible knife with small knife and edge burnishing tool.

For new shoppers i put the knife in most unflattering light so you can see you get an awesome handmade handforged heavy truck leaf spring zone hardened shockproof blade and hard fitted sheath. This one came EXTREMELY sharp.

Last edited:
Which kami made it? It looks like a nice one. I have a WWII like it, and still really like it even if my favorite is a lightweight Chainpuri.

Beauty is as beauty does. I own and use large Randalls and would take this knife over them without even a moment hesitation.

The knife is unmarked and last i bought a knife i had talked to Bill on the phone. I know of the kami mark list, but otherwise i am as blank as blade. It seems more in keeping with the issue knife flavor anyhow.

The last knife i bought was an Ang Khola from Bill and Yangdu....this knife arrived yesterday, and smells and looks fairly fresh, the grease appeared new and wood smells fantastic....

I recall a different Sarge....Sgt Karka....

Last edited:
Same person, just different spelling of his last name.

I thought as much, Bill spelled it "Karda" circa '99 or '00....everything on this WWII smells so fresh carved it is almost unbelievable it was not made yesterday....very pleasant and the scent strong hours after removing from automobile.

It is a superb knife, whoever made it, and i would trust it to get me through most anything....and this one is only a repro of a factory or sweatshop issue knife....i think any troop would be proud and honored to carry this into the danger zone.

Great pix and WWII Khukuri, thank you for sharing

Great pix and WWII Khukuri, thank you for sharing

Ah, no, dear Yangdu....MY thanks for continuing to supply a world-class knife at blue collar price.

I buy first rate hand-forged/hand-ground/no-jigs-fixtures etc "name" knives and even though primitive by modern tooling standards, they are works of art that work.

YOUR knives are made under far less advanced conditions, no multiple grinding centers with belts and wheels, no advanced materials rolling in on trucks daily, no busy air powered hammers pounding out tangs, no specialized drill presses and cutters or acid etch tanks....no advanced electric forges and heat treat ovens...

And yet, YOUR knives can hold their heads high in such company....very sophisticated designs of tapered from spine to edge as well as distal taper to point....i am in awe of how much is done with so little....it is that "made the old way" aspect where the soul and art lives...so thank you for selling such a knife which average people here can hope to afford.

(But who made my knife!?) ....wink!

Last edited:
A rather late addition to thread but time to mention WEIGHT...

There seems to be a lot of....."concern" to put it politely as to weight of a full sized khukuri....will firstly point out Gurkha knives have mainly gotten a bit smaller due to less march and more infantry fighting vehicle room and increased combat load in other areas....having humped a load myself in jungle, savannah, and high mountain desert, yes you might be hating any addition to that 70lbs or whatever...but we did it...including my Ang Khola which would have been among the very LAST things to ditch if anything got ditched.

Most "outdoors" types today do nowhere close to that weight or 12 miles either...Nepalese seem to get by with very little, certainly no "hand me a 9 iron khukuri from my bag" for daily work and carry....

The actual weight on this WWII is 1.5 lbs....in the sheath, it is 2lbs on the nose.
..in real world weight, this is the same as a very old UNLOADED pencil barrel S&W police .38 Spl revolver.....it is the same weight as the lightest thinnest shortest plastic .45ACP Glock G36 with 7 rds of ammo in it, nearly a pocket pistol.....quite a bit less than a short barreled Single Action Army in .45 (i list .45s as they have bigger holes and less metal) and ditto a 1911, both EMPTY...and gobs less than a .44 magnum even a shorty by anybody.....serious guns for serious woods.....or, put another way, the weight of 2 kabars...

This khukuri is vastly more versatile than any of those and can build a shelter or even cabin with enough time, clear the land around it, and lay in a store of firewood for the winter....

The weight is a trifle compared to what it can do.....even the heavier models often will weigh no more than a loaded full sized handgun of whatever make....a fraction of a rifle or shotgun.....

In short, the weight is not the worry....an awesome tool is what it is.....don't worry/be happy....

Last edited:
The entire knife is a study of simplistic functional elegance...as with favorite other knives, it has after-5 formal wear handsome...and extreme comfy in hand or on waist or pack, weighing no more than a handgun or any two less durable and functional knives...

I've often said that the WWII has some wholesome girl-next-door looks. A natural beauty without all the make up caked on.

That is pretty much it....no gimcracks or geegaws....both below knives are hammer forged and hand ground, both have grinding marks and hammer dents and sometimes spines and lines wander a bit...but both have points in line with hilt and pommel and both have edges straight and true and both work as an extension of the will and both are quite plain and exquisite...but only one costs less than half the other....

And for the very picky, please note in the orange lighter shot that the choil grind is not perfectly symmetrical....both are handmade and by eye and nobody wants to pay what a three or four day knife would cost....

But as i said at start, most any will do except the very smallest as for what khukuris are renowned to do.....the tool of choice in a comparatively low technology setting and also agricultural setting, and the poor man's broadsword when required....they found something that worked and stuck with it, and there is a lesson in there for we of more "advanced" cultures....it is a national icon because it WORKS.

Back