A knife similar to the Applegate Fairbain Combat II?

Me?

Anyone know of a knife similar to the Applegate Fairbain Combat II with 6 inch dual edged blade at a more affordable price I have seen so many poor reviews on the knife I can not see spending that kind of money on it.?

Reason I want something similar...because I have Boker Applegate Fairbain Combat II training daggers, so it would be nice to have something as close to the training daggers as reasonably possible.

With the fame of the Applegate Fairbain Combat II I find it surprising that it appears no one has made a reasonably priced copy.

Not 100% similar to what you’re looking for, but the Cold Steel drop forged dagger is a pretty solid choice. Just a good slab of sharpened 52100 steel.

I would just get the Boker. Every poor review I've seen on them has centered around the fact that they cut poorly and come fairly dull.

Well they are daggers. Daggers are almost always thick behind the edge. The original Fairbairn-Sykes daggers were often butter knife dull from factory as well. You can get yours re-profiled, but it's more likely it will be a display and conversation piece anyway.

They are very well made knives and you won't regret owning the real thing.

Anyone know of a knife similar to the Applegate Fairbain Combat II with 6 inch dual edged blade at a more affordable price I have seen so many poor reviews on the knife I can not see spending that kind of money on it.?

Reason I want something similar...because I have Boker Applegate Fairbain Combat II training daggers, so it would be nice to have something as close to the training daggers as reasonably possible.

With the fame of the Applegate Fairbain Combat II I find it surprising that it appears no one has made a reasonably priced copy.
Reasonably priced copies (read cheap) are usually frowned upon.

I'm not sure what you like about that particular knife but I'm pretty sure we can help you find a quality version for about $200.

You could look at the Ka-Bar Ek Commando knives for a nice dagger from the same period in time.

Also it's spelled
Fairbairn

waaay back in the day
was the sw820 police boot knife
but not quite the reach of the A-F :)

Last edited:
I would just get the Boker. Every poor review I've seen on them has centered around the fact that they cut poorly and come fairly dull.

Well they are daggers. Daggers are almost always thick behind the edge. The original Fairbairn-Sykes daggers were often butter knife dull from factory as well. You can get yours re-profiled, but it's more likely it will be a display and conversation piece anyway.

They are very well made knives and you won't regret owning the real thing.
Would a hollow-ground dagger be “slicier” than a regular saber-ground dagger?

It’s also rather interesting that combat-oriented daggers would come dull from the factory. I guess you better poke with them rather than cut, haha.

Would a hollow-ground dagger be “slicier” than a regular saber-ground dagger?

It’s also rather interesting that combat-oriented daggers would come dull from the factory. I guess you better poke with them rather than cut, haha.

A hollow ground dagger will be slicier than a flat ground one, yes. Any time you get thinner behind the edge, ease of cutting increases.

The fact is, the Boker will come sharp enough to cut someone. The key factor in daggers is tip sharpness. If you need something to use for actual cutting tasks, a dagger isn't the best tool.

Last edited:
Böker also offers the V-42 which is a bettered version of the Fairbairn-Sykes. Still, the blade is a bit over 6", something like 7".

Keep in mind that their V-42 is Taiwan made, whereas their Applegate-Fairbairn is produced in Solingen and is, in my opinion, of much higher quality.

In your opinion only. Taiwan made means quality, nowadays. Whatever, I was only talking design... Why diss a sharp edge ? Seems a no brainer to me.

There is a Spanish brand of knives named Joker. They produce a dagger very similar to the Applegate/Fairbairn Combat 2 dagger that is around half the price. Do a Google search for "Joker Full Tang Lince CR43 Mountain Knife". It has a wood handle, and there is a version with a stag handle (model CC43). They used to have a few with plastic handles, and might still. Reading a favorable review on a particular retail site that comes up in the search it appears that another individual was also specifically looking for a knife similar to the A/F.

This is not a recommendation as I've never owned one of the Joker knives. I'm just pointing out a similar knife.

And for a much less expensive, similar knife to the A/F, do a search for "Walther P99 knife". Make sure you include the word "knife" because there is also a Walther P99 airsoft pistol. And again, not a recommendation because I've never owned this knife.

Last edited:
I don't think daggers are meant to by "slicey", they are designed to poke holes in things.

SOG26DT.jpg SOG Daggert 2 is no longer produced, but you might like it. I listed mine for sale here, but just can't do it. It's an awesome blade.

A Spanish company called joker had something similar called the Joker CF00.

pKBqBtu.jpg

Unfortunately it has been discontinued in the "tactical" presentation with blackened blade. if you are interested you may still find it on a "hunting" or classical presentation which is their Joker Lince model with deer antler handle. They also have some wood handle versions.

There is a Spanish brand of knives named Joker. They produce a dagger very similar to the Applegate/Fairbairn Combat 2 dagger that is around half the price. Do a Google search for "Joker Full Tang Lince CR43 Mountain Knife". It has a wood handle, and there is a version with a stag handle (model CC43). They used to have a few with plastic handles, and might still. Reading a favorable review on a particular retail site that comes up in the search it appears that another individual was also specifically looking for a knife similar to the A/F.

This is not a recommendation as I've never owned one of the Joker knives. I'm just pointing out a similar knife.

And for a much less expensive, similar knife to the A/F, do a search for "Walther P99 knife". Make sure you include the word "knife" because there is also a Walther P99 airsoft pistol. And again, not a recommendation because I've never owned this knife.

Hehehe I didn't see your message before posting. Joker is a great brand. It is probably my favorite brand of factory knives. They are inexpensive , well made and NOT made in China except their JKR line. Don't get that. Get their Albacete made models. Albacete is the second largest and oldest historical blade producing city in Spain after Toledo.

joker-cuchillos-caza-joker-5-gr.jpg

Last edited:

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but the truth is that the Boker version is the reasonably priced copy. With the exception of the short-lived Blackjack model, every previous rendering of the Applegate-Fairbairn has been significantly more expensive than Boker's. And you can't find the Blackjacks for less than the Bokers these days.

If you're only looking for a cheaper substitute, those recommended thus far are all good suggestions. You won't have much trouble finding inexpensive daggers. But if you want the real thing, with all of its accompanying design elements, you won't go wrong with the Boker. I don't know which reviews you're looking at, but Boker makes fine knives, and the A-F is no exception. Functionally, I'd say it's the equal (or better) of any production version made prior. Aesthetically, the Boker is no slouch, either, with lots of interesting variations over the years.

Since you're interested in the A-F as the real knife to correspond with your training knives, I think you'd be well served saving up for a Boker. Why would you skimp on a fighting knife?

-Steve

Back