A knife similar to the Applegate Fairbain Combat II?

If I were going to spend that much on a dagger I would look at the Randall model 2, or just have someone make one for me.

n2s

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but the truth is that the Boker version is the reasonably priced copy. With the exception of the short-lived Blackjack model, every previous rendering of the Applegate-Fairbairn has been significantly more expensive than Boker's. And you can't find the Blackjacks for less than the Bokers these days.

If you're only looking for a cheaper substitute, those recommended thus far are all good suggestions. You won't have much trouble finding inexpensive daggers. But if you want the real thing, with all of its accompanying design elements, you won't go wrong with the Boker. I don't know which reviews you're looking at, but Boker makes fine knives, and the A-F is no exception. Functionally, I'd say it's the equal (or better) of any production version made prior. Aesthetically, the Boker is no slouch, either, with lots of interesting variations over the years.

Since you're interested in the A-F as the real knife to correspond with your training knives, I think you'd be well served saving up for a Boker. Why would you skimp on a fighting knife?

-Steve

Man it's gone up in price significantly it's not even funny. I'm interested in adding one to my collection but not at a $200+ expense.

Man it's gone up in price significantly it's not even funny. I'm interested in adding one to my collection but not at a $200+ expense.

I hear you. The Bokers have gotten significantly more expensive over the past couple of years. But if the OP wants a real A-F, he'll have to pay. In my experience, there are other daggers and even a few better daggers, but there's no real substitute for the genuine A-F.

-Steve

I have a Boker Applegate-Fairbairn that my son got in the fall of 2004 for about $100. Now I see the "Combat II". Is there any difference or are they just twice as expensive?

(Edited) Sorry to necro a post but I had this same question a while back and want to provide some info I wish I would have had. 1: there are a couple similar "clones" to the A/F both made in china and both have a bayonet style grind instead of a fully symmetrical blade. One of them is unbranded and I believe was produced in China during the 90s and early 2000s you can still find them on ebay occasionally for $20-$30. A Walther branded copy uses the same approach with the bayonet style blade but adds a type of saw or rasp on the spine it also has a pretty nice feeling rubberized handle and a cordura style sheath. Also in the sub $30 range. The aforementioned Joker brand look alike is probably the highest quality copy although the blade stock is a bit thinner than the original A/F. It runs about $70-$100 and is made in Spain. For me, due to a lack of information online I warily bought a genuine Boker A/F II for around $230 and I was pleasantly surprised that the grinds were crisp and precise and the edge was actually sharp! Later on I bought a second one from knifecenter after the big price hike ( from $280 to $351šŸ˜¬) and found it to be the same as my first one precise grinds and sharp edge. So I guess either Boker stepped up their game or the people with faulty grinds and dull edges were just unfortunate enough to get the ones that slipped past QC. To sum up my answer, you won't regret buying the real thing, it is virtually indestructable, designed by a famous American Colonel, and manufactured by one of the best known knife manufacturers in Solingen. If you are on a budget, the Joker will suffice as it's a decent knife in its own right, and if you just like the look, but don't care about the history or materials used, buy one of the Chinese copies. Hope this helps.

Semper fi

Last edited:
Its a folder but I'm sure very strong (as are or were most of their folders) the Cold Steel 6" Ti lite would be my choice. Their Aus8 is/was also decent too.

Back