A look at Sebenza design changes through the years

photoman12001

Gold Member
I took several photos of different versions of the Sebenza to show some of the design detail changes through the years. Eventually I’ll do a video comparison. I’ve already done some videos with the Regular, Classic MM, & 21 but recently added an original Sebenza to my collection. Examples shown here range from manufacture dates of 1995 (Original Sebenza) to 2017 (Sebenza 21 Red Micarta).

I might add some images and information here over time. I know I at least need to get a shot of the various washer changes.

Please feel free to add any additional information or correct me where I'm incorrect.

A few older videos until I can do some new ones:
Chris Reeve Knives - A Brief Rambling on Sebenza Evolution
Chris Reeve Sebenza: Classic vs 21
Chris Reeve Knives: A Look at the Sebenza, 21, 25, & Umnumzaan

Thumb studs, original Sebenza in the front and current stud on a 21 in the back.
PC044292_Edit_Layers_2048_Pixel_10.jpg

Sebenzas from left to right: Original, Regular, Classic MM, 21.
This is to show the various work done to Sebenza handle edges.
Also notice the difference in the area of the blade where the stop pin engages when the knife is open. The Original has a large, rounded area.
Some notes:
- It’s not easy to see but the edges of the Original actually have a concave fillet as opposed to the flat chamfer around the edge. At least it feels that way to me.
- The Regular & 21 have flat chamfers around the edges.
- The Classic MM has two smaller chamfers around the edge that make the handles feel more rounded that other Sebenza versions.
PC044298_Edit_Layers_2048_Pixel_10.jpg

Original Sebenza on the left, 21 on the right.
There are a few things going on in this photo:
- Original flat clip on the left versus the newer standard clip on the right.
- Notice the countersink cut into the flat clip and the matching clip screw.
- The new clip has no countersink and the bottom of the screw head is flat.
- The bottom of the newer body screws (right) are more flat that the older screws (left).
PC044302_Edit_Layers_2048_Pixel_10.jpg

Sebenzas top to bottom: Original, Regular, Classic MM, 21
This photo gives another view of the edges of the handles.
It also shows the differences in the choil area where the index finger rests.
- The Regular is obviously very different from the others.
- The Original & Classic are similar in that they have a wider machined area that slopes up toward the spine of the handles.
- That area on the 21 is the same width as the chamfer around the rest of the handles.
PC044346_Edit_Layers_2048_Pixel_10.jpg

Sebenzas left to right: Regular, Classic MM, 21
Items of note in this photo:
- Once again, notice the differences in the edges of the handles.
- This one also shows the ridges along the scale edges of the Regular. These do not appear in the previous photos because that was a later example (2006). CRK stopped doing the ridges in the last few years of the Regulars.
- Various hardware changes. Smooth-headed female body screws where used through about 2010 (very early Sebenza 21s). Some were shiny & reflective, some were matte. The smooth side was on the lock side of the knife from the factory. I think they look much better with the smooth side on the presentation side of the knife so I always switch them.
- Current Sebenzas have hex heads on both the male & female body screws.
PC044355_Edit_Layers_2048_Pixel_10.jpg

Sebenzas top to bottom: 21 Polished Blade, Regular Stonewashed Blade, Original Polished Blade
I tried to show the differences in blade finishes here but it’s difficult to capture.
- The Original has a mirror polish which I tried to demonstrate with the reflection of the 21 Starbenza.
- The current polished blades are stonewashed on the flats near the spine and polished on the hollow grind. The polish is reflective but not mirror polished.
PC060707_Edit_Layers_2048_Pixel_10_af4bmdTNWYi4k1iqiV2RaV.jpg

Original Sebenza on the bottom in each photo.
21 on top in the bottom photo.
Regular on top in the top photo.
- All Sebenzas but the Regular have a concave curve to the spine of the handles.
- The Regulars had a convex curve.
- The curve seems to have the same radius just in opposite directions.
Chris_Reeve_Sebenza_Curves_06DEC2021_2048_Pixel_10.jpg

This photo just gives an overall view of various Sebenza versions.
I also did this photo with a Sebenza 25 but left it out here because I really consider it an Inkosi beta and not a true Sebenza, mainly because it lacks a pivot bushing.
Chris_Reeve_Large_Sebenzas_No_25_04DEC2021_2048_Pixel_10.jpg

Here’s a photo of the Original Sebenza through the Sebenza 25.
I don’t own any 31s.
Chris_Reeve_Large_Sebenzas_04DEC2021_2048_Pixel_10.jpg

A shot of various Classic MMs
Chris_Reeve_Sebenza_Classic_MM_04DEC2021_2048_Pixel_10.jpg

CRK added the "Idaho Made" marking sometime in 2010. Sebenza 21s made in 2009 and early 2010 were blank like the Regular, Original, P, & H. Some other models have early examples that can also be found without the “Idaho Made” marking such as the Umnumzaan & Nyala. Later examples of these have the marking.
Chris_Reeve_Pre_Idaho_Folders_04DEC2021_2048_Pixel_10.jpg

P9036428_Edit_Layers_2048_Pixel_10.jpg

Some different Sebenza lock sides
- Classic MM
- Early Sebenza 21 (2009-mid 2010) before CRK used the "Idaho Made" mark
- Sebenza 21 Wilson Combat (Starbenza) with small "Idaho Made" mark
- Sebenza 21 with current "Idaho Made" mark
P9106367_Edit_Layers_2048_Pixel_10.jpg

Different Sebenza stop pin sleeves
I've mainly seen or heard of the lined sleeves on knives made in 2012-2014.
P9106369_Edit_Layers_2048_Pixel_10.jpg

Blade Jimping
CRK has experimented with different jimping from time to time. Here is an example of some blades that came off knives made around 2009-2010. Notice the grooves along the blade on each side of the jimping. I believe it was done with a ball mill.
P9036433_Edit_Layers_2048_Pixel_10.jpg

Left = Current Sebenza Jimping
Center = Sebenza 21 from 2009 or 2010
Right = Wider Jimping on a 2003 Sebenza Classic MM Blade
PA096465_Edit_Layers_2048_Pixel_10.jpg

Comparison of finishes
Bottom = Polished
Left = Glass Blast
Right = Sand Blast
This isn't really a Sebenza evolution thing, just a reference.
Chris_Reeve_Knives_Finishes_09OCT2023_2048_Pixel_10.jpg

Sebenza Serrations
Once again, not an evolution this but just a closeup for reference.
PA096470_Edit_Layers_2048_Pixel_10.jpg

Sebenza P
I was lucky enough to add a Sebenza P to my collection. It's shown with a couple of Sebenzas made in 1995 after CRK dropped the P mark but before they released the Regular Sebenza in 1996. The P also doesn't have a pocket clip.
PC126648_Edit_Layers_2048_Pixel_10.jpg

PC126651_Edit_Layers_2048_Pixel_10.jpg

Last edited:
Great resource! Glad to see you posted on here, as well as Facebook. Resources like this are wonderful, and get easily lost on Facebook.

This deserves to be 'sticky' IMO

grate photos , I no Chris Reeve has a long history and gave a lot to the knife industry , thank you for posting.

Great journey. Thanks for putting this together! Which is your favorite?
That's a tough one because I really love them all.

Most cherished in the collection is either the leather inlay Classic or the Original from 1995.

PC044337_Edit_Layers_2048_Pixel_10.jpg

PC044353_Edit_Layers_2048_Pixel_10.jpg

For users I like this large red micarta 21...
PB164195_Edit_Layers_2048_Pixel_10.jpg

IMG_0646-(W).jpeg

NYC_EDC_DEC2021_3_2048_Pixel_10.jpg

and this small micarta Insingo 21.
P9293826_Edit_Layers_2048_Pixel_10.jpg

001(97).jpg

Last edited:
Great post!
nice to see the changes over time. small changes, it means that the original project was already good, over time it is updated to make it better

That’s an amazing collection! I never did like the MM classics. I only ever owned regulars, two annuals and a plain. Now a days I’m using an Inkosi as I feel it’s a real improved Sebenza in - subtle way.

Enjoyed your observations very much. Thanks for sharing the details. The original thumb stud is cool!

That's a tough one because I really love them all.

Most cherished in the collection is either the leather inlay Classic or the Original from 1995.

PC044337_Edit_Layers_2048_Pixel_10.jpg

PC044353_Edit_Layers_2048_Pixel_10.jpg

For users I like this large red micarta 21...
PB164195_Edit_Layers_2048_Pixel_10.jpg

IMG_0646-(W).jpeg

NYC_EDC_DEC2021_3_2048_Pixel_10.jpg

and this small micarta Insingo 21.
P9293826_Edit_Layers_2048_Pixel_10.jpg

001(97).jpg

Thanks for responding! I'm pretty sure I'd feel the same way about that original!

The 21 is such a great user. It is my favorite CRK, and really seems like the "best" of the evolution in many ways IMO. Since it was disco'd I've made sure to grab all the ones I want before it's too late, with that same Small Black Micarta Insingo being the last one I'm still looking to pick up. Never tried a backspacer, but your photo is doing a good job of making me want to! Thanks again for the great post.

Interesting that you don't have ANY 31s... They may not speak to me quite like the 21, but it seems like you would have at least one for comparison's sake? ;)

Thanks for responding! I'm pretty sure I'd feel the same way about that original!

The 21 is such a great user. It is my favorite CRK, and really seems like the "best" of the evolution in many ways IMO. Since it was disco'd I've made sure to grab all the ones I want before it's too late, with that same Small Black Micarta Insingo being the last one I'm still looking to pick up. Never tried a backspacer, but your photo is doing a good job of making me want to! Thanks again for the great post.

Interesting that you don't have ANY 31s... They may not speak to me quite like the 21, but it seems like you would have at least one for comparison's sake? ;)

As for the 31...I tried to buy one. A local shop had a small with natural micarta. I drove there fully intent on buying that knife but couldn't do it. That vertical lock rock issue is real and that knife had it bad. I tried to convince myself for 15 minutes that it wasn't a big deal but I couldn't because it was. The knife just felt cheap. As you can probably tell from this thread, if I can't convince myself to buy a CRK there's a problem. Hell, I own CRKs that I don't particularly like just to collect them (Impinda, Sebenza 25, several fixed blades) and couldn't bring myself to buy that 31. I really wanted to snag one of the KSF red micartas when they released them because the red on those is beautiful. I wasn't willing to roll the dice and snagged the large & small 21 versions shown above instead. I'm glad I went that route. I might try a 31 later but I would probably want to handle it first or buy new with the option of a return.

I really like backspacers on Sebenzas. I think they look good and I've been bitten by a few of my large 21s while they're closed in a couple of scenarios.
One of each of these just arrived today; I'll be installing them tonight: Backspacer for Sebenza 21/31 KnifeLounge Exclusive
I've got some concerns since this replaces the stop pin but titanium full backspacers are hard to find for Sebenzas.

P7122889_Edit_Layers_2048_Pixel_10(1).jpg

PB164199_Edit_Layers_2048_Pixel_10.jpg

Last edited:
Fantastic work on this repository. Thanks so much. These sorts of threads are invaluable for understanding the evolution of the knife, vs. just seeing pictures of the models on their own.

I've never had an original in my hands, like your 1995. I do own several "P" models, Could you comment on any differences in those 2 models you might have noticed, please? Thanks, Bart

I've never had an original in my hands, like your 1995. I do own several "P" models, Could you comment on any differences in those 2 models you might have noticed, please? Thanks, Bart
Unfortunately I’ve never had my hands on anything older than the Original. No Ps, Hs, and such.

Photoman, This is the only P I have with a clip... I looked at a bunch of righties, including a April 1995 P that looks identical to your original EXCEPT no clips. The back side of the thumb studs seem to differ slightly. Only difference I can find, so possibly clips became standard in mid,1995? IMG_5351.jpgIMG_5350.jpgIMG_5352.jpg

This is my right handed carry "P". (EDC). I got it years ago for a good price, as it had been modified with the added clip. I guess CRK saw the need, and added it mid 1995. It has served me well, with it's ATS34 blade.IMG_5353.jpgIMG_5354.jpg

Back