A message from Lynn

You guys do know that the Cold Steel moderator isn't Lynn himself right?

NO . . .
I'm crushed.
I'm Kidding.

I did wonder what inspired him to post during the holidays. Ha, ha, ha,
I suppose a REAL bad boy would ignore the holidays. I been there . . .

over time I did develop a serious addiction to sipping hot coco and unwrapping presents.
This is my last year though.
I swear.
Just makes hair grow on ones palms and Lord knows I can do without that.

There may be a loophole..swords and axes might not count as knives.

Oh yah . . . that's ALL it would take . . .
The Chef is already seriously concerned about my deviant behavior (talking in a chat room about "weapons" (pocket knives)). I am sure she has more than once considered taking me to the vet to "have me check" for distemper.

If I start buying swords and axes she might just take me back to the pound were she found me.
Nah dude, nah . . . this will take some careful handling.

Bring back "the world's strongest, sharpest knives"!

So what if CRKT sues you back? Letting them use the term "virtually" as they did (correctly) in exchange for "the world's strongest, sharpest knives"? Seems like a fair tradeoff.

I guess when you hit the sue button, you have to stop using bullshit terms on your own end, eh? LMAO

Is the Brooklyn Smasher still "virtually unbreakable"? :rolleyes:

Cold Steel has a bunch of knives which will stand out as classics decades to come. If Lynn Thompson is smart (and I'm sure he is), he'd make it a point to regularly check out the different forums dedicated to Cpld Steel, which discuss his knives, and give positive input and criticism.

We all are strong supporters of CS, and we all would like to see the company continue to make the best and strongest knives fpr a resonable price point. How about a few special editions and/or options for loyal forumites? Special handle materials, ultra grade finishing, etc.

Bring back "the world's strongest, sharpest knives"!

So what if CRKT sues you back? Letting them use the term "virtually" as they did (correctly) in exchange for "the world's strongest, sharpest knives"? Seems like a fair tradeoff.

I guess when you hit the sue button, you have to stop using bullshit terms on your own end, eh? LMAO

Cold Steel's moniker held more weight than CRKT's, figuratively and literally.

My butt is just fine...thanks for your concern regarding it though. ;)

I still have more Cold Steel products than many of those who post here, so I'm speaking from experience.
On their huge knives, like my XL G-10 Espada, Large Espada (with bolsters), Rajah 2 and XL Vaquero Voyager, the "hugeosity" is unmatched by others, with the exception of the Spyderco Tatanka that I prefer over the Large Espada and Voyager (the Rajah still gets use though). The XL Espada got edge warp something fierce, and had to be fixed with a small brass hammer, and the Cold Steel rep said it wasn't meant for actual outdoors use like chopping (his words, not mine).

When it comes to their smaller offerings like the Recon series, Lawman and others in that size range, I have been thoroughly unimpressed.
They cut okay, but other manufacturers have produced knives with better ergonomics, you know, for when you actually use the knife for extended periods.

The only smaller knife of theirs I like at all is the Tuff Lite and Mini Tuff lite, both of which I have given to a friend because he needed a knife, and I prefer my other, non-Cold Steel knives in that size range.

Now I realize that a bunch of die-hard fans will reside around these parts; I get it.
I know that you probably want to congratulate each other on having the best knives EVER...but they aren't the best.
They are okay.

Deal with it.
https://youtu.be/q8hyfbcSJ18

Extremely thin edges, don't do well with chopping wood. You have to pick the blade design for the task you want it to do.

You wouldn't pick a Busse Battle Mistress to peel a potato, and you wouldn't pick a paring knife to baton logs.

I'm pretty sure the only ways to destroy the Brooklyn Smasher are by melting it (launching into the Sun?) and cutting it with a bandsaw or something. I've never seen any of Cold Steel's polypropylene products break.

I'm pretty sure the only ways to destroy the Brooklyn Smasher are by melting it (launching into the Sun?) and cutting it with a bandsaw or something. I've never seen any of Cold Steel's polypropylene products break.
And pretty much impossible as its badically rubber

Wait did somebody compare a SEBENZA with the VOYAGER?

Get out your calipers and your micrometers.....

But honestly, to say a SEBENZA is a what did you call it? Pocket jewelry?

My advice is to make sure to keep this discussion safe in the CS forum. Don't get me wrong, I am no Reeve fan, and you have obviously spent a lot of time building your case, but I don't think the industry agrees with you.

Good luck with all that.....

Shane

My advice is to make sure to keep this discussion safe in the CS forum. Don't get me wrong, I am no Reeve fan, and you have obviously spent a lot of time building your case, but I don't think the industry agrees with you.

Shane
The two aren't really comparable. They serve different niches

The two aren't really comparable.

"The folding knife that has become the yardstick against which others are compared, the Sebenza has earned a worldwide reputation for rock solid performance and a “bank vault” feel."

If they can say this, and at the same time having it be general knowledge that you can never compare a Sebenza to anything...

Hmm.

We have taken issue with many knifemaker taglines and monikers this passed year. Perhaps its time for another.

Last edited:

Shane

You know what you don't need to determine which knife is a better cutting tool?

Calipers and micrometers.

Mr. Thompson has done remarkable things,and deserves all the respect he has earned.

I am a fan of many of his products. He has filled the market with a wonder of amazing edged tools.

His "THOMPSON SABER" is an example of his knowledge expertise and passion. His ongoing study into the use of the tools and weapons he makes shows,"He walks the walk."

It is always difficult when words become feelings.

Words, and personalities often become obstacles and barriers that keep people from reaching commonality.

Tag lines like, " best, toughest, strongest" do not define anything without agreement on standards.

The more you know, the less you know.

Good luck to all searching for that definitive tool that makes you feel good inside.

I just get so sick and tired of the hypocrisy. I see guys in other threads stating which Cold Steel knife is on their want to buy list, then in another thread the same guy is putting the boot in and dog piling the company. Like I should be surprised, this has been going on for years. Kiss this (.)

Hey upnorth,

Sorry you saw my post as hypocrisy.

My second post was an attempt at being honest.

My comments about the SERENA and the Voyager were inflammatory.

I admit that I have never had any folding knife fail me.

But I don't depend on folding knives for extreme use.

My knives all cut because I keep them sharp. Some will take a more toothy edge, which is what I prefer.

For me, appreciation as a cutting tool includes an understanding of everything it takes to create and build it.
That is why I mentioned measuring instruments.

If you were to offer the "best cutting tool" statement on the floor at Blade, you would find the same response.

If your definition of "best cutting tool" means," most expensive knife I am willing replace, out-of-pocket, and not feel bad, about", then I am on your side.

As far as the Sebenza being pocket jewelry, for me a plain old Sebenza is just that. If you would have said William Henry....which is too dang pretty to use, then I would have agreed.

I have explained myself clearly. All the cute punctuation and snide remarks will not change my response.

I do not stand behind a screen name or Internet persona.

You people are too focused on community reactions and responses, let the knives do their own talking. Well knives don't really talk. So silence is golden. As dad used to say.

Aw what the hell, a reaction of my own: Sebenza is a waste of money, as proven by Cold Steel, the heels of the knife world, and I friggin love it. Know that I take no issue with Cold Steel but this statement is based upon what I see from said community reaction. A lawsuit against a company over a tagline exposed some false knife guys who chose to boycott great products due to the actions of a man. As the case with a hunger strike, you're only hurting yourself. Case in point here taken (remembered / tattooed on my brain) from the long deleted / forgotten CRKT lawsuit thread, example:

4-Max preorder on KC... cancelled... :(
(not like it matters, he has had plenty of time to change his mind lol, but just the principle of it)

Why the frown you ask? Because this manchild chose to self inflict injury based on another's action. A meaningless thing to a true knife guy. These are the people who should be put on sandblast(ahaw haw) until the weakness erodes from their bones. And like bones, remains of this long dead lawsuit linger upon my mind and bring to bear the memory of those shamefully affected by it. Shame is the word for the emotion you should feel if you are one of these people. If you like a product that you're hyped about but then withdraw your interest based on the actions of a man, then this applies to you. Though I don't even know if this applies here, just regurgitating fragments. Though I could see the point in boycotting a company if your business or lack thereof truly affects its survival. But if not (most assuredly not), just enjoy the products you are no doubt interested in. The knife can't speak for itself, its not its fault the company head offended you. Don't take it out on the product. This goes for any company. That being said, I rail on the Sebenza because I was shocked how poorly it performed in CS tests. Granted, these are borderline abuse, but they prove to be indicative on what the blades can or cannot take. At $410 price point, it should have at least outperformed the $40 knife that started a lawsuit (CRKT M16-14cz54321??). I go off on tangents.

I'd just like to say I was very close to purchasing a sebenza for a long time. I was concerned I would be disappointed. Well the test put the nail in the coffin. Sometimes certain knives seem pretentious.

Aw what the hell, a reaction of my own: Sebenza is a waste of money, as proven by Cold Steel, the heels of the knife world, and I friggin love it.

Wow, I wish Mr. Demko would have made the video in 2006 so I wouldn't have wasted my money. Your logic is fine for the web, but it doesn't quite hold true in the real world. You want to take one video as an absolute vs. countless users over 25 years who've been satisfied with CRK folders in the real world? Fine, that's cool. I'll take real world, first hand experience.

I say keep doing what you are doing, as far as design and tests are concerned.

The complaints that the vocal minority of the knife world makes, are the exact same complaints that the vocal minority of the gun world used to make in the 80's about Glock. Exact same grasping at straws arguments.

"They're ugly"
"They have plastic handles"
"They feel cheap"
"They are not made in America"
"The torture tests are not valid. I use my gun (knife) to shoot (cut) and don't abuse them"
"I prefer premium materials in my grips (handles)"
"The grip angle (handle ergos) suck."
"Gaston Glock (Andrew Demko) is not yet in the Firearms Hall of Fame (Cutlery Hall of Fame)"

Etc etc.

Now everyone wants to make polymer frame striker fire guns, which still fall short of the original in reliability.

And Spyderco was the first of what will soon be everyone, who wants to make the next ridiculously strong lockback.

So here is to the G10 handled Triads...the Glock of the folding knife world.

Last edited:
Back