A Month of the SwissChamp

WvFiQG2.jpg

I rescaled my ”ol’” SwissChamp this summer. I don’t carry mine but it does lots of household chores. I also might take with me to longer trips.

IVJAsLIh.jpg

So the micarta scales arrived from DLT Trading today. My love for natural canvas micarta is no mystery around here. I’m crazy for the stuff. It’s my favorite handle material. The exact handle material I wanted when I first made up the SwissTank last year. So I was naturally excited to see that DLT had these scales in stock.

The scales arrived with a rough finish. But a bit of time with some fine sandpaper, and then a buffing wheel loaded with Brasso, shined up the scales nicely, and rounded the edges. The scales pressed onto the SwissChamp very easily. Much easier than similar G10 scales from Swissbianco. So installation was much simpler, but only time will tell if the scales want to stay on the knife without epoxy. For the record, I have had my G10 scales pop off a couple times, when the SwissTank has been dropped onto the concrete floor of my garage, so it does happen from time to time, but not regularly.

6HIFpRDh.jpg

One big issue with my micarta scales is the toothpick slot. It’s ridiculously loose. The toothpick pretty much falls out under gravity. My first attempt to rectify this is a micarta toothpick. I had some spare micarta lying around, so I spent a few minutes crafting a toothpick to match the scales. It looks awesome, but I’m not entirely sure how durable the toothpick will be. It’s pretty thin for micarta. But we’ll see how it holds up. I may end up popping the back scale off, and adding some grip tape inside the tweezer channel, to accommodate the original Victorinox toothpick.

EyT7ixOh.jpg

YriBA6Xh.jpg

As for the NOS SwissChamp, this is a slightly newer version than I’ve been using. The scissors are riveted instead of screwed, and they have a channel for the spring. The pliers also have a spring channel, as well as a wire crimper. The file is a bit less coarse than the one on the old SwissTank, which I prefer since I mostly use the file for my fingernails. All in all, I consider the changes in this version to be an upgrade. A nice refinement to the older design.

Js1LlZqh.jpg

The fob was simply moved from my original SwissTank to the new knife. I really like the leather, and the natural canvas micarta beads will match the scales beautifully, once the scales begin to develop a nice patina from use.

76tZA4ah.jpg

MFaqanbh.jpg

This is the third SwssTank I’ve made now, and I’m pretty happy so far. This may actually replace the original in my daily rotation. I’ll call this the SwissTank MK III.

3e8NMV3h.jpg

Buzzbait Buzzbait , I can’t send you a message so I’ll pick your brain on how you did the natural Micarta. How fine was the sand paper you used and how smooth are they compared to when they arrived? Mine arrived and I love how yours turned out. I don’t have a buffing wheel, so I may just take a little brasso to them to darken the color a bit.

Well, this is a late answer, but I just happened to stumble upon this post.
I could not agree more with your thoughts on the Swisschamp, I have been carrying mine everyday now for about 3 years and I haven't had a more useful companion in my pouch. It's an excellent tool for everyday fine tasks. If I need something for a more heavy duty use I also always have my Leatherman Surge in my backpack
I'm also extremely glad I bought the Leather Belt pouch as that is the most comfortable way to carry it while being easily accessible and not using up pocket space, my phone can't decide if it prefers the left or right trouser pocket, so these pockets tend to be empty as I don't want to scratch the phone.
Now the question, do you still carry yours? Or did it's size and weight stop you after all this time?

I’m not really quite sure how to say this, so pardon me if I ramble a bit. I feel I just need to opine a bit about my last month of carrying the SwissChamp.

Let me start off by saying that I’m a traditional knife collector, and have been one for a long, long time. I tend to judge old knives on a very specific set of criteria, based on my experiences of what works, and what I find to be artistic and beautiful. I always have a few favorites around, that get rotated in and out of my pockets. Some knives stay in my pocket longer than others. The ones that tend to stay are aesthetically pleasing, and present themselves as interesting curiosities.

But here’s where it all gets weird and confusing. I started off carrying the SwissChamp, just to get used to the size of the knife for a summer vacation project with my daughter. The SwissChamp was meant to be just a bit of gimmicky fun. Nothing serious. I was going to use it for a week or so, to make sure that it was feasible to dedicate to various outdoor tasks and more common knife duties, and figure out how to comfortably carry such a heavy and bulky little item.

Over the next few weeks, there was a definite evolution in my view toward the SwissChamp. I used it and compared it to my more “serious knives”. It compared favorably in terms of cutting efficiency, due to the wonderfully thin grinds on both spear blades. But it was obviously not as comfortable as many of my other knives. There were a few other nitpicks as well, concerning the lack of a more straight edged secondary blade, and the softness of the steel. But it did okay. It always made the cut, it sharpened up quite easily, and it proved to be wonderfully stainless. It wasn’t a great knife, but it was very useful knife. Certainly good enough for some summer fun.

Then the transformation occurred. I gradually began to use the other SwissChamp tools. This was just for fun at first, but I quickly became impressed by how many projects I was able to accomplish, without the need to search out more serious tools. I didn’t even realize how often I needed some of the tools, and how I usually must have ignored the small duties of life, because I didn’t have an immediate fix.

Suddenly, as my family came to me with tasks to be accomplished, I was able to solve problems on the spot, instead of just giving them the old, “Okay. I’ll look into it later.”, and summarily forgetting the matters entirely. It was as if my opportunities to accomplish more in life had been revealed to me, a veil of ignorance and laziness had been lifted.

What’s interesting about all of this is the fact that I’m not a “handy” guy. I don’t instinctively know how to fix a car engine or how to install a new bathtub. I couldn’t build a set of steps for my back porch if my life depended on it. I’m not the man you want when you need your kitchen floor replaced, or some 2X4’s cut down to size on a table saw. I’ve tried to be handy in the past. I’ve purchased numerous Leatherman tools in the past, in hopes of increasing my handiness quotient, but to no avail. I’m just not that guy.

But I am smart in my own way. I have a highly analytical mind. I crave detail. I love to research. I’m a hobbyist, and love to assemble and tinker with small things. I enjoy reasoning my way through concepts, and seeing them through to fruition. I enjoy taking things apart to see how they work, and improving upon them. Examination is my stock in trade.

Well I have to say, The SwissChamp is wonderful for a man like me!!! Where modern multitools have failed to be of value to me, the SwissChamp has thrived. Brute force not being a requirement for the tasks I choose to take on, Victorinox’s finesse-oriented tools are like magic in my hands. The knife blades make the cut. The fish scaler is absurdly handy as a small ruler and pickle plucker. The magnifier allows my failing eyes to see minute details. The corkscrew screwdriver means that eyeglass bows are always tight. I won’t even go into how versatile the Victorinox scissors are. And while the pliers may not be heavy duty, they are perfect for holding small electronics while soldering, and wrestling fishing hooks from bluegill. Even the file positively excels at keeping my nails well-manicured at all times. The inline Phillips screwdriver manages to keep the drawer knobs from spinning, and hangs simple fixtures with aplomb.

I really don’t view the SwissChamp as a multitool at all. Multitools are called to duty, whenever something needs to be repaired and whatever tasks handy men distract themselves with. But the SwissChamp is simply an invaluable aid to life. A cap lifter and can opener is always at my disposal. The little screws on my bicycle shifters are always adjusted in tune. Small dowels have met their match with the wood saw. The SwissChamp allows to me to manipulate the physical world in such a way as to assure a reasonable amount of order, and increase my understanding of how the natural world works. The SwissChamp satisfies my curiosities, and helps me to wade my way from day to day, and remain a gentleman while doing so.

The SwissChamp isn’t a multitool to me, or a knife. The SwissChamp is more like a personal research assistant, an extra hand when I need one. It’s a friendly companion throughout my day, always willing to provide input and insight into whatever fate befalls me. At this point in time, I can’t imagine life without the SwissChamp, or how I survived the quagmire of life’s uncertainties previously. It’s become a part of my lifestyle, as no other multitool or knife ever has before. It’s a reassuring friend in my pocket, and a technical instrument in my hand.

I stand before you, a man convinced. The SwissChamp is incredibly worthy. My only goal now is to use my summer vacation wisely. Demonstrate my SwissChamp to my daughter, encourage her to use her own SwissChamp, and hope that she comes to value it’s companionship as I have of late.

wReVDPUh.jpg

Well I guess I can also share some photos from my Champ :p
OrM5Rju.jpg

uy5ibXo.jpg

As you can see this one is also an older one, with the magnifying glass made out of glass, unlike the new one with a plastic lens and scissors with screw. I do prefer the older one, but the extra back tools seem interesting to me.

Last edited:
Well, this is a late answer, but I just happened to stumble upon this post.
I could not agree more with your thoughts on the Swisschamp, I have been carrying mine everyday now for about 3 years and I haven't had a more useful companion in my pouch. It's an excellent tool for everyday fine tasks. If I need something for a more heavy duty use I also always have my Leatherman Surge in my backpack
I'm also extremely glad I bought the Leather Belt pouch as that is the most comfortable way to carry it while being easily accessible and not using up pocket space, my phone can't decide if it prefers the left or right trouser pocket, so these pockets tend to be empty as I don't want to scratch the phone.
Now the question, do you still carry yours? Or did it's size and weight stop you after all this time?

Oh yes. I carry a Swisschamp EVERY SINGLE DAY. I honestly can’t imagine ever not carry a Swisschamp, it’s so incredibly useful in my everyday life. My newest SwissTank, with natural canvas micarta scales, is working out famously. What a wonderful knife. The more I use it, the more the action of the tools smooths out, especially with the scissors and pliers. The micarta scales get smoother and darker with each passing day of use.

I did make one change last week to my maintenance routine. Where I normally use a Sharpmaker to maintain my edges, I decided to use bench stones this last time. I started with a Norton India stone, and worked my way up to a fine grit Spyderco bench stone. Then I finished on my old leather strop. The main blade really did sharpen up much better than usual. And where I normally stink at sharpening the small scissors, I actually managed to get them back to as sharp as I day I bought the knife. I think I’m going back to the old school bench stones from now on.

AAmczeZh.jpg
1hf8uzYh.jpg

Last edited:
Very nice Buzz, I'm so taken by this thread that I ordered a nice leather belt sheath to carry mine. Soon to give it a try:thumbsup:
Yes! I have the black one for my Swisschamp and my Minichamp, it's the best way to carry this, but I'm also considering getting a SOS Kit.

Oh yes. I carry a Swisschamp EVERY SINGLE DAY. I honestly can’t imagine ever not carry a Swisschamp, it’s so incredibly useful in my everyday life. My newest SwissTank, with natural canvas micarta scales, is working out famously. What a wonderful knife. The more I use it, the more the action of the tools smooths out, especially with the scissors and pliers. The micarta scales get smoother and darker with each passing day of use.

I did make one change last week to my maintenance routine. Where I normally use a Sharpmaker to maintain my edges, I decided to use bench stones this last time. I started with a Norton India stone, and worked my way up to a fine grit Spyderco bench stone. Then I finished on my old leather strop. The main blade really did sharpen up much better than usual. And where I normally stink at sharpening the small scissors, I actually managed to get them back to as sharp as I day I bought the knife. I think I’m going back to the old school bench stones from now on.

AAmczeZh.jpg
1hf8uzYh.jpg
Man, it's looking great, but I want to make some wooden Plus scales for mine, I have a very big softspot for wooden handles on knives, it's just such a beautiful material.

Thanks Buzzbait for this interesting thread. I’ve loved the Swisschamp as long as I can remember and enjoy your tales and stories about your experiences with it very much. I own a number of them, they’re currently not all in one place otherwise I plan to do a group photo once I’ve gotten them back together. Think it’s 8 or 9! Been a long time collecting them and enjoyable so doing. Enjoy the possibilities that the Swisschamp covers. Sure it’s big, but not too big in my opinion. Many bases covered.

Hopefully this isn't too old a thread to bump, but I finally broke down and got a swisschamp for myself. It arrived Saturday afternoon and it's been with me in the small inner pocket of my Duluth trading shorts since then. I'm probably going to keep it I'm my bag while I'm at work, it's a little too bulky to ride in a pocket with a climbing saddle or bucket harness on, and I like to have a dedicated set of pliers with me while I'm working. I am nonetheless impressed with how light it is compared to the pliers based multi tools I used to carry, and I'm super excited to see where we wind up together.1625534435082562142079.jpg

Hopefully this isn't too old a thread to bump, but I finally broke down and got a swisschamp for myself. It arrived Saturday afternoon and it's been with me in the small inner pocket of my Duluth trading shorts since then. I'm probably going to keep it I'm my bag while I'm at work, it's a little too bulky to ride in a pocket with a climbing saddle or bucket harness on, and I like to have a dedicated set of pliers with me while I'm working. I am nonetheless impressed with how light it is compared to the pliers based multi tools I used to carry, and I'm super excited to see where we wind up together.View attachment 1595294
The largest I have is the Outdoorsman I was packing today. I have a leather sheath for it but I just tossed it in the cargo pocket of the shorts I was wearing. I would definitely consider that one a bag or belt knife for sure. When I was a kid I could’ve easily used all those tools on the farm I was working on. Even the fish scaler would’ve come in handy down at the creek checking on cows🤫

I NEED to stop reading this thread.

I dont have the means to purchase let alone muscles to carry one of these.

ILScuDu.jpg

Ugly low light photo - hence the b&w edit to make it bearable. Took the picture because I occasionally have to open the whole thing to marvel all the features. Still too heavy for me to EDC but I enjoy every occasion I can use it or perhaps toss it in my backpack for a trip.

Back