A month with multitools

I think that's the one downside to sticking with mainly multitools where I work. I'm in a facility full of salt water tanks and even with the stainless steel construction, it's only a matter of time before I'm going to need to clean off rust of my Leatherman. I'd love to see someone come out with a multitool in something like H1 or LC200N, but man, I can't even imagine how much that would cost.

If I was working in salt every day, and needing to carry a multi, I'd probably just change up my daily routine, though a little rust is not a huge deal to me. But if it was a matter of the alternative being to carry a slightly heavier but more salt resistant (or easier to replace) daily toolset, then that would probably be my go-to, and just keep my main tools coated in fluidfilm or something similar. When I'm fishing, all I need is a knife and a plastic hook tool.
But I'm not at all going to suggest that my way is the only way (or even remotely right way) for anyone.

I've shelved my modern, one hand open knives as well. Somewhere around Christmas I put an SAK in my pocket, a fixed blade, a Leatherman Wave and another SAK in my work bag.

For work, I run into situations where a pair of pliers is handy so - Leatherman. The fixed blade is a modern rendition of the old Sharpfinger just for backup or situations or where a fixed blade would be easier to clean. Something like cutting a sandwhich because that's what's for dinner in the hotel (work travel). I also enjoy variety and can't seem to get over that humpšŸ™„.

So far this year, the Vic Climber has handled everything. Not only that. The scissors and the small, 1.3" blade at that (don't tell J jackknife ).

The other SAK is a Recruit that rides in the elastic of the Leatherman sheath. Again, a backup.

I'll be traveling again next week and won't be taking anything with a pocket clip. It'll be the four pieces mentioned above and the MiniChamp on my keys.

Leatherman and backup/ā€˜how did I leave the house without my knifeā€™ Recruit:

Well, I did it.

One full year with one Victorinox Climber as my only pocket knife and my MiniChamp on my keys.

What I've learned:

- The Climber handled most tasks and there were a few times I could have saved a couple seconds with a one hand opening knife clipped to a pocket as opposed to putting my hand in my pocket to pull the SAK from the bottom but I survived those.

- The most used tools on both knives were the scissors followed by the pen blade of the Climber. I rarely used the full size blade. The toothpicks get used quite a bit too.

- When wearing lightweight shorts in the summer, the loose Vic in the pocket felt a bit unsecured and uncomfortable but I got used to it. I'll probably go back to something small with a clip this coming summer.

- The Recruit that I keep as a back up in case I ever forget to grab my knife was never used. If I ever was without the Climber, the MiniChamp handled any tasks that came up.

At some point this year I removed the Sharpfinger fixed blade as it wasn't being used and it remains in unused condition. In fact, I forgot all about it until I re-read my post, panicked a bit, then had to go hunt for it. The saw on the Leatherman came in handy but a Huntsman SAK would have handled it. For now, I'll continue to carry the Climber as it does about everything I need.

Well, I did it.

One full year with one Victorinox Climber as my only pocket knife and my MiniChamp on my keys.

What I've learned:

- The Climber handled most tasks and there were a few times I could have saved a couple seconds with a one hand opening knife clipped to a pocket as opposed to putting my hand in my pocket to pull the SAK from the bottom but I survived those.

- The most used tools on both knives were the scissors followed by the pen blade of the Climber. I rarely used the full size blade. The toothpicks get used quite a bit too.

- When wearing lightweight shorts in the summer, the loose Vic in the pocket felt a bit unsecured and uncomfortable but I got used to it. I'll probably go back to something small with a clip this coming summer.

- The Recruit that I keep as a back up in case I ever forget to grab my knife was never used. If I ever was without the Climber, the MiniChamp handled any tasks that came up.

At some point this year I removed the Sharpfinger fixed blade as it wasn't being used and it remains in unused condition. In fact, I forgot all about it until I re-read my post, panicked a bit, then had to go hunt for it. The saw on the Leatherman came in handy but a Huntsman SAK would have handled it. For now, I'll continue to carry the Climber as it does about everything I need.
:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Bravo, Rupestris!!!!!

You're journey very closely parallels my own. Since last August, I have been carrying only a small SAK and/or the Leatherman squirt. Have you felt the overwhelming flow of relief and feeling of liberation that I have felt? Its like crazy to look back on all the 'collecting" and accumulating of stuff that was not needed.

I find a 58mm SAK teamed up with a 84 or 91mm will handle 100% of what we need in modern society. Outside of gladiatorial combat, or insurgent warfare, how much shite to we really need to lug around?

I realize that I may have lost a few moments over my life by having to reach down in a pocket and them have to use two hands to open my knife/tool. But somehow I've reached an age where I have to have old joints replaced, so it hasn't been fatal having to take an extra two seconds to open my knife.

Hint; in the Texas summer with 100 degree temps and light weight shorts, I used a nylon and velcro belt pouch for my larger SAK. keeps it up out of the way, and is available easy. My humble little 58mm in the keyring pouch handles most of it.

Well, I did it.

What I've learned:

Wow, that is an impressive feat! I've actually been pondering doing something similar again, starting tomorrow. I don't know if I could make it a whole year, but it would be interesting to see how long I can go without tossing a dedicated folder in my pockets again.

I've actually been stuck at home the past week thanks to the Covid, and I've been finding the little Alox Minichamp has been my most used tool. Opening up medicine packets, trimming my nails, opening packages, even some minor food prep. There's not much you can't do with it if you have a little imagination.

I didn't go multitool only the 1st of January, but I realized a couple weeks ago that I've been exclusively carrying the Free P2 at work, and maybe an SAK after I get home. Last weekend all I carried was a Pioneer X, and I don't know that I ever used anything more than the bottle opener.

Really, looking at my usage lately, the small blade is likely all I'd actually need, with the opening layer and scissors. If only the Bantam had scissors, it could be my one and done.

And now that I think about it, I guess that would pretty much be a Victorinox Compact.

Last edited:
I have been mostly carrying alox minichamp in my keys for a long while now. While as knife itĀ“s rather underwhelming I carry it regardless because in my life I just simply donĀ“t use my knife that much outside work (and because itĀ“s so easy to carry and has multiple functions). At work I got CS Tuff Lite wich is close to perfect work knife and Leathermam Bond wich is perfect pocket multitool. Most times I leave the two to work when I leave.

Old school Leatherman wave for me. From spreading peanut butter to fixing an Airplane. Sometimes just for fun I carry my AFO just to have something to play with.
And thatā€™s something else Iā€™m noticing. Iā€™ll sometimes carry a dedicated folder, but often itā€™s because I feel like I should at least use it from time to time to justify owning it, not because I particularly need it for something.

As a child in the 80's, my first knife was an SAK. After joining BF, I tried a bunch of different folders.
I am pretty certain that if my only folder was an SAK, I'd be content for the rest of my life. Sometimes you need to go on a journey to find out you were happiest where you started.

As a child in the 80's, my first knife was an SAK. After joining BF, I tried a bunch of different folders.
I am pretty certain that if my only folder was an SAK, I'd be content for the rest of my life. Sometimes you need to go on a journey to find out you were happiest where you started.

Its too bad I can only like a post once. I'd give this a 10+. Especially the last line.

After my own journey around the barn starting off with a Boy Scout knife dad gave me, then the army issue 'demo' knife that was a crude version of the Vic Pioneer, I ended up a knife nut and try9ng all kinds of knives that I eventually got rid of. Now back with my SAK's it was where I started all those years ago. My Wenger SI is a more refined demo/scout knife.

If I knew then what I know now, I'd have saved myself a lot of time and money! Looking back on it all, the traveling to knife shows, the expense of trying new knives that I really didn't need, it was all kind of crazy.

Last edited:
I feel the same. I think it adds to the equation that I started to feel burned out with the constant pursue of the knife community to chase the next thing. Thereā€™s a lot of ā€I donā€™t regret anythingā€ mentality in BladeForums for chasing new knives but I think deep down itā€™s convincing yourself rather than others.

I feel the same. I think it adds to the equation that I started to feel burned out with the constant pursue of the knife community to chase the next thing. Thereā€™s a lot of ā€I donā€™t regret anythingā€ mentality in BladeForums for chasing new knives but I think deep down itā€™s convincing yourself rather than others.

YES!!!

Looking back on it all, I wish I'd taken my dad's advise and just went on with one pocket knife on me that I knew well. I wish I'd had my dad's wisdom in much of life, and I have regrets that I let myself become obsessed with the chase for the latest and greatest, when in reality that piece of rope you cut, or that package won't know or appreciate if it was opened with a 200 dollar "special" or a 14 dollar SAK recruit.

Iā€™m going just about 2 and a half maybe 3 weeks of just carrying my Pioneer. Only issue so far is after a fresh fingernail trimming. For a couple days there, opening any of the tools on the Pioneer was a chore. Thatā€™s when I was missing my other folders in my pocket. So easy to open one handed and no nails required.

Iā€™m going just about 2 and a half maybe 3 weeks of just carrying my Pioneer. Only issue so far is after a fresh fingernail trimming. For a couple days there, opening any of the tools on the Pioneer was a chore. Thatā€™s when I was missing my other folders in my pocket. So easy to open one handed and no nails required.

Psst, cupton, over here...

Helpful hint from an old traditional pocket knife carrier; Don't cut your thumb nails. File them. I use the file on my classic to keep the thumb nails down and trimmed square. That leaves a thicker stronger edge on the thumb nail that is better for opening pocket knives.

Just a hint I got from an old timer way back in the 1950's way before the Buck knife.

I think that's the one downside to sticking with mainly multitools where I work. I'm in a facility full of salt water tanks and even with the stainless steel construction, it's only a matter of time before I'm going to need to clean off rust of my Leatherman. I'd love to see someone come out with a multitool in something like H1 or LC200N, but man, I can't even imagine how much that would cost.
Leathermans really aren't as corrosion resistant as you'd think. I was disappointed to discover just how easily they can rust. Victorinox's stainless steel is far superior in that respect. If your work can be served by a Swisstool then I would suggest considering a switch. The Spirit now also has one hand opening and a pocket clip, but I still prefer the larger heavier old style Swisstool models because they have the best scissor design.

Leathermans really aren't as corrosion resistant as you'd think. I was disappointed to discover just how easily they can rust. Victorinox's stainless steel is far superior in that respect. If your work can be served by a Swisstool then I would suggest considering a switch. The Spirit now also has one hand opening and a pocket clip, but I still prefer the larger heavier old style Swisstool models because they have the best scissor design.

Oh, I definitely know they'll get rust. That's one reason I always try to go with tools that can be disassembled. Still, I've actually been considering a Swisstool, because I like the other aspects of it, such as toolset and the finish.

Multitools are a different because they definitely aren't a dedicated knife, for me they are not a pocket knife at all but of course everybody is different.

I used to think like this as well and when I was still in uniform, I routinely carried both Swisstool Spirit and Leatherman Crunch on my belt, but I often found myself using my primary pocket folder to "solve" a lot of problems that shouldn't have been solved by a blade.

The only way I was really able to maximize the versatility of multitool was to do just what the OP did; make it your primary EDC tool, which for me was to simply replace my typical pocket folder.

The only belt carry I do with a multitool is usually my gun/battle belts, but that's for a different purpose than EDC.

I normally EDC a small fixed blade, but I've found it 's a great combo with a multitool.

I've been using the Leatherman FREE P4 for the past several month and it's growing on me. I do want to try the slightly slimmer P2. The P4 is fine with jeans or heavier pants, but for thinner pants (like Khul or similar), it's just a tad too heavy.

Good to hear about the Swiss Spirit MX, one-hand knife opening and pocket clip! Already have one one on order. This was by far my favorite tool ever since it came out with the serrated butter blade, but no clip meant belt and pouch carry only. Kind of excited about this one!

ROCK6

Can I ask what this is?
It kinda looks like a secondary pen but ..not really?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230511-102736.png
    Screenshot_20230511-102736.png
    375.5 KB · Views: 4
Back