A plea to return to the Old Style Voyagers

I'm hear to do exactly what the title states: plea for a return to the old style Voyagers.

I bought my first Voyager in 1996. It was a large serrated model with molded clip. It was my first "good" knife as my primary knives before that had been a SAK and a Gerber EZ Out.

I carried and used (or abused) that original Voyager for years before it gave out (it never really gave out, I just decided to retire it). I bought a plain edge large Voyager with metal clip to replace it.

I also owned an XL and two medium Voyagers (one molded clip/serrated, one metal clip/plain).

The various sizes of the original Voyagers were the perfect knives for any carry scenario. The medium Voyagers were perfect for pocket carry. I never even used the pocket clips; I just dropped them in my pocket. The large was the perfect outdoors/large EDC knife size. The XL was perfect for anything that required a larger knife, and really still is. The X2 Voyager was amazing too, but I've never seen the need for a folder quite that large.

I've never been a big fan of the current Voyager design. I tried both the medium and the large when they came out, and they just weren't for me. I feel that I'm not alone in this. For years, the Voyager line consisted of 4 sizes in 2 blade shapes each with 3 edge configurations per blade shape. That's 24 different models of Voyager. Since the current re-design in 2010 or 2011 (can't remember exactly when it happened), we've seen the Voyager line dwindle to remove all sorts of options that, presumably, weren't selling well. I feel like we wouldn't have seen that dwindling if we still had something more similar to the originals.

The Broken Skull reminds me more of the original Voyagers than the current Voyagers do, but it's only available in one size (also, it needs a Satin blade).

Am I alone in this, or would others out there like to see the older Voyagers make a re-appearance?

I don't particularly care for the way the new Voyagers have the huge hook at the pommel end. I know I can just fire up the belt sander and take it down a bit, but I could also simply buy something else that agrees with me. I would like to see a return to the contoured handles, like in my old school Vaquero Grande, but I know that's not going to happen. Between that and the super aggressive texturing on the handles, I haven't bought a new Voyager in years.

I like the current large Voyager. I like the aluminum liners and the Tri-Ad lock. I don't like how the the handle texturing abrades the pocket when using the clip. I would not trade this for an older version.
I do think the old Voyagers have a cleaner design.

I've had a few of the old style voyagers and really liked their lightweight and easy carry designs. If only there were a way to make them with the triad lock.

The new voyagers have the better steel and lock, but are too fat and lack the design flair of the old ones.

I have the old 5" blade Vaquero and the truly awesome Vaquero Grande. Both are good knives but both functionally and aesthetically the NEW Vaquero handles are much superior. I'd like to see CS bring back the Vaquero Grande with the new handle.

i have an original xl voyager and its the most abused knife i own, ive even used it to pry open doors, used it as a throwing knife, it cannot be killed and it opens with just a flick of the wrist cant do that with my talwar.

I liked the old Voyagers just fine , but the Tri-ad lock is definitely a stronger and self-adjusting design . ;)

The closest thing to an old Voyager seems to be a Buck 110 LT (minus clip and thumbstud, but these are found on the new Slim).

Zieg

The closest thing to an old Voyager seems to be a Buck 110 LT (minus clip and thumbstud, but these are found on the new Slim).

Zieg
That’s kind of what spawned my post. I recently bought Buck 110 and 112 Slims. It made me realize how much I missed the old Voyager design. The old Voyagers were a better lightweight “Buck knife” than anything Buck ever released.

Reactions: AF
Totally with you on this ,to me the new voyagers are just pocket hostile if thats a word,they are kind of clunky and in a good way IF they came with a sheath and were used strictly for hunting like the old 110's,but they really don't cut it as an EDC pocket friendly knife-I do agree that they are more robust/safer knife with the triad lock and all,but gosh darn carry an old school voyager and you really have a classy finely built instrument in your pocket
I would like to believe that CS really listens to their customers but in the end, it just seems to me that they march to their own drummer just my .02 ¢

Reactions: AF
The newer style voyagers are prob my overall favorite pocket knives. No way would I want them to go back. I like the old ones too, especially the tanto but the newer design is superior in just about every way. It’s just a stronger, more capable knife and with the flat grind I would bet that it sliced a lot better than the old ones too. I have a buck 110 LT and it’s a handy little knife but it’s not in the same league as a voyager. If that’s what you like you should prob just get a buck LT or a Spyderco pacific salt.

Love the triad lock, wouldn't want any other for my Holdout I, XL Espada etc., but my old style Voyager(and TiLite too) fit a niche I want. Never had a problem with the lock on the Voyager or Tilite but then I use my knives as knives not as a substitute for a better tool. Luckily there are plenty of old Voyager's out there so you can go with the new or the old, and yes I do prefer Japan on the blade if possible but not anal retentive about it.

I def prefer the old style Voyager to the new by a HUGE margin. I wish they would make a knife with that profile but updated steel and tri-ad lock.

I def prefer the old style Voyager to the new by a HUGE margin. I wish they would make a knife with that profile but updated steel and tri-ad lock.

I don’t need the triad lock. But if the can do it on the new Pro Lite and the Working Man, they can do it on a new version of the old Voyager.

Make new voyagers,Old voyager design but with g10 and aus10 and triad locks.I bet they would sell like crazy and put to shame many knives from competitors .

Old backlocks are strong enough for any task,have a voyager and el hombre with old backlocks and never had one fail on me.I beat the hell out of those knives and they still function same as the first day.

My GFs son still has and uses the old Voyager I gave him years and years ago when he was just a kid , he is in thirties now. I had totally forgotten about it and one day last year he pulled it out of his toolbox. of course the plastic pocket clip was broken off. still locked up solid. and it was such a pleasure to see that hollow ground clip point blade again. someone had done an average job of sharpening it for him.

even if they did go back to original design I would still want the Triad lock in there

Back