A plea to return to the Old Style Voyagers

Old backlocks are strong enough for any task,have a voyager and el hombre with old backlocks and never had one fail on me.I beat the hell out of those knives and they still function same as the first day.

I agree. If you doubt this, watch some of the old proof videos from back in the old Voyager days if you can find them. Those old CS backlocks could take a licking.

I agree the old backlocks were plenty strong. But since they have the newer design tri-ad, why not use it? As good as the old locks are, I'm sure most would agree the tri-ad is superior. Yes, an old style voyager, upgraded steel, tri-ad lock and G-10 handle is what I would love to see. Give me that, and I could probably get rid of all my other knives ( well, not really). But a knife like that would check all the boxes.

If they re-badged the broken skull as a voyager it'd be a 10/10

I'd really like to see them push the broken skull more. It really needs a small and large size, satin blades, no obnoxious branding, and maybe an option for blade shape and it should really be eating the delica and endura's lunch. It's a better knife in every way at the same price point. I really prefer the thin handles it has, but if they position it as a new/old voyager it would probably be closer with thicker contoured g10.

I'd really like to see them push the broken skull more. It really needs a small and large size, satin blades, no obnoxious branding, and maybe an option for blade shape and it should really be eating the delica and endura's lunch. It's a better knife in every way at the same price point. I really prefer the thin handles it has, but if they position it as a new/old voyager it would probably be closer with thicker contoured g10.

I almost raised this point in my original post. The Broken Skull would give me almost everything I loved about the original Voyagers with additional sizes, satin blades, etc. I would advocate for the thicker, contoured G-10 you mentioned. I don't dislike the slim handles of the Broken Skull, but I prefer a slightly more substantial handle. It does feel a little bit like they were attempting to push the envelope on how thin/light they could make it.

I like the new Voyager series except for the handle thickness. I would like to see Cold Steel make it thinner so that I don't notice it as much in my pocket.

I agree that the previous voyager model handles were prettier, but the newer ones allows for more functionality.

If you like the old voyagers just for their looks, then I suggest the Recon 1 and Code 4. These models have pretty handles but with even better finger cutouts so are more functional.

I like the new Voyager series except for the handle thickness. I would like to see Cold Steel make it thinner so that I don't notice it as much in my pocket.

If they could slim the current models down, I'd be game for that. Also, they'd need to figure out a way for the pocket clip to be over a smooth spot in the grip. Do those things and bring back the full line-up in all sizes and configurations, and I'd be tempted to convert to the newer models.

I would love a Med clip point, and an XL Vaquero. Plain edges, and VG1 of course.

Okay, I love the tri-ad lock. But that's where it ends. I bought a lot of Voyagers before the change, but I'd like to see Cold Steel go back to making their old Voyagers. To those of you into revolvers, think the old Ruger Security-Six. The newer GP-100s that replaced them were stronger, but also heavier and their balance horrible. Plus the Security-Six .357 was plenty strong enough, so the GP-100 was not really giving consumers anything they didn't already have with the earlier Security-Six.

The same thing's true with Voyager. The old models were thinner, more beautiful (I love the polished stainless and despise the stone wash finish that come on the current Voyagers). My favorite EDC is a Cold Steel Gunsite II with a 5-inch blade. Gorgeous and feels wonderful in the hand. The new Voyager is okay, but ugly and I don't really care for them at all. Plus I don't buy them. All good things come to an end, and I have three more Gunsite knives new in the box and stashed away. So keep making your FUGLY Voyagers, Cold Steel. I love my Gunsites, my old 5- and 6-inch Voyagers (I've got some of them stashed away too.) I've got the ones I carry and the ones I bought and stashed away. And I've never felt a need for better steel than AUS-8A, though if they made some really nice Voyagers with BD-1, I'd probably buy them. But you can keep your present fare, Cold Steel. They're ugly and they're too bloody thick. If I could hammer old Gunsites into wood and climb up using them as steps, why would I need thicker ones? It doesn't make sense.

But you can add me to the list of those wanting the change. I just have nothing to lose if you don't. You keep your knives; I keep my money. Oh, and one more thing. They're starting to charge too much for their knives. I liked it better when I could buy two or three without breaking the bank.

I love the liners in the handle of the Voyagers. I wish they were easier to extract from the pocket, and I'm not keen on the very curved handle. But overall I like mine.

Back