A Question to the UK folk.....

Would you carry a sub 3” unassuming knife with a lock in the UK.... Given the circumstances in post?

• Yes

Votes: 2 10.5%
  • No

Votes: 15 78.9%
  • Sometimes - Not in a heavily populated area

Votes: 2 10.5%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm lucky not to be in the UK but if I was I'd just get a SAK.

If you want something for self defense - martial arts classes would be better alternative (healthier too) or just get a pepper spray.
This is coming from a guy who enjoys working out at the gym, has basic martial arts training and has a pepper spray despite legally carrying fixed blade EDC.

My fixed blade EDC would be my last resort self defense weapon, only if I ran out of pepper spray ot it can't be used due to weather condition, and whatever I'm dealing with is nasty enough for me to know my kicks and punches won't be enough to deal with it.

I see my knife as a tool, that being said - any tool can be used as a weapon, just some better than others. And the court will likley try to imply that you were carrying your tool with intent of hurting someone.

I'm lucky not to be in the UK but if I was I'd just get a SAK.

If you want something for self defense - martial arts classes would be better alternative (healthier too) or just get a pepper spray.
Pepper and other sprays are verboten too...

You have got to be kidding.
Fraid not. Having any sort of 'weapon' at the ready means that you are 'pre-meditating' physical interaction/intervention. A pen or a rolled up magazine is your best bet for 'I grabbed the first thing to hand'.

Fraid not. Having any sort of 'weapon' at the ready means that you are 'pre-meditating' physical interaction/intervention. A pen or a rolled up magazine is your best bet for 'I grabbed the first thing to hand'.

What about that sturdy old blackthorn stick you use because of that old rugby injury? You know, the knee that goes our on you now and then!;)

He wasn't an Englishman, but we had a man here named Teddy Roosevelt, and he loosely quoted an old Masai proverb that "if you speak softly and carry a big stick, you will go far."

I guess that could go for downtown London as well?o_O

Thanks all - Interesting comments.

Thought I’d add some context to some of the points raised.

At no point would I use a knife as a weapon. I’m fortunate enough to have never been in a fight, don’t frequent the pubs, and simply wouldn’t risk it.

Regarding the law, I guess part of my question was asked because I have never been stopped by the police, don’t whip my knife out to play with in public, and I’m very discreet with my usage.

I completely understand the law is the law, but all of the comments that allude to being searched etc (in previous threads), have me wondering what they were doing to get searched.

If a policeman manages to stop me and wants to search me in the countryside.... So be it. If they were in that kind of mood, I’m sure they’d have a problem with anything I had on me.

Lastly, I appreciate there are a lot of good UK friendly knives. I really do.

Can anyone point me to one that looks as close to The James Brand Carter?

Now, before you roll your eyes at the “hipster, overpriced” knife..... it’s purely the design I love.

The whole “VG-10 steel is way overpriced” comments are noted, and ignored in this instance.

VG-10 is absolutely ample for my limited needs, and I’m happy to pay for the style I like.

I’m sure that will offend plenty of enthusiasts, so if you can find me a UK friendly knife that has the same style for less than £150, I’m all ears!

Thanks again for all your comments!

I would submit that our UK friends that frequent this forum are among the least likely to support the anti-knife, anti-self defense laws in their country. Picking on them about it even unintentionally seems like adding insult to injury. I am not sure that Britain is not to far down that path to turn it around. I would, however encourage our U.S. Friends to think about freedoms they value and vote accordingly. It could indeed happen here.

Doesn't sound like the bobbies have much latitude if they happen upon someone with a knife.

Haven't watched many TV shows with those UK prisons featured. Are they nice?

Yeah, I was attempting to draw attention to the absurdity of this, but got accused of alcoholism. I live in America, where we don’t respect stupid laws.

or move to states where there are less stupid laws and the state trusts us citizens more.

Problem is when you get surrounded by people with that kind mentality. And especially if you're stuck in a country with such mentality.

Examples of stuff I heard:
"Knife might tempt you, you can't be tempted by it if you don't have it"
- my answer usually is that if they are getting violent urges that's their problem and it also doesn't mean everyone is the same, and I tell them not to try to make decisions for other people

And there are even people who literally claim they would rather let human/animal attacker kill them than fight back, because they are not violent and don't believe in violence... yes they are THAT ridiculous!
Luckily I only met 4 people like that, one was British, one was Dutch, and 2 were Canadian.

Also, one those same people called me a murderer because I am not vegan and other one will turn her head away as you're about to take a bite of meat LOL...

Unfortunatley for us, there's a lot of people who are plain ridiculous, and those will agree any kind of ridiculous law that's being passed.
And only criminals benefit from such laws.

I agree, we shouldn't rub salt into wounds of people living in UK.
Also, sadly entire world is becoming more and more ridiculous day after day, even now as I'm typing this. So, unfortunatley more and more of us might see such ridiculous laws emerge sooner or later...

I spend 9 days meandering around the UK with my Sebenza on me, sometimes in my pocket other in my backpack

Yeah the laws are ridiculous, created to address an issue in the usual way many politicians see fit - one size fits all.
Luckily they haven't out right banned locking folders or fixed blades over a certain length- they haven't even banned double edged knives or daggers (which I understand some states have a ban on a double edged blade or sharpened swedge?). Some of the things I can understand (but I don't agree with - I think you should be able have and carry what you like) like OTF and multi-bladed knives, 'tiger claws' and the like.
Funnily enough, most of the crimes are committed with cheap $10 kitchen knives and cheap tacticlol knives. What gangsta is going to want to buy and then throw away a Benchmade/Randall/Chris Reeve?

Hopefully in a few years the whole PC debacle will settle itself down a bit, sense will prevail and people will not be forced to suffer the laws imposed by the indescretions of the few.

It may live in my pocket on a quick trip to the supermarket
I know it sucks, but the question you should really ask yourself is "why do you need a locking blade instead of a slip joint for a quick trip to the supermarket or any similar place?" The answer is you really don't and if you for some weird reason do get caught, you get a criminal history that looks really bad for anyone that reads it and can hold you back in many ways in life. It is stupid and unnecessary.

And there's always a risk to get caught. All it takes is the wrong person seeing the knife at the wrong time, making a big deal of it, reporting it to a security guard who's having a bad day and you're done. Don't risk it.

Here's an idea: Buy the knife you want, then "de-lock" it. Assuming it's a back lock, that should be easy, with the right bit in a rotary tool.

Or, have a machinist do it for you.

I know it sucks, but the question you should really ask yourself is "why do you need a locking blade instead of a slip joint for a quick trip to the supermarket or any similar place?"

Hey, I absolutely don’t need one.

I only mentioned it because the one knife I really like the aesthetics on is the James Brand Carter (see my previous post).

Do you know any UK Friendly knives that look similar?

I don't live in the UK and I'm not familiar with their laws.

But I work in NYC , their knife laws are strict yet complex at the same time. I only carry a non-locking small folder, usually a slipjoint.
Sure , I can carry whatever I want and hope a LEO will let it slide. But I think of the alternative and the huge expense of legal defense.

Here's a modern slipjoint that is discontinued and being discounted in the US right now.
Benchmade Proper

BM-318.jpg

I only mentioned it because the one knife I really like the aesthetics on is the James Brand Carter (see my previous post).

Do you know any UK Friendly knives that look similar?
Have a look at the SOG Terminus slipjoint, very similar looking knife.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back