A time to give...

I got several orders directly from guys involved in Desert Storm.

The order that stands out in my mind was from an Army Doctor. He sent $500 and said. "send me two of your best."

I thought, now that's going to discourage some patients -- you walk in and see a couple of khukuris laying on the doc's tray -- gotta make you stop and think.

Originally posted by CoalBlack

Ben,

I did think of that but declined from including them because I have no idea how the British military views the carrying of personal weapons by it's troops. The American military on the other hand does allow it the last I heard. No slight was meant and certainly I don't expect any one who is the citizen of another country to contribute to the purchase of a khurkuri meant to go to American troops.

Coalblack - I just get a bit agitated by the US media's tendency to be rather Americentric in their reporting on such events. I do think the donation idea is laudable one in general.

I did some investiation on the UK army site, but couldn't find out about policies on 'personal' weapons and I fear I don't have too many military connections, British or otherwise (aside from a woman I know in the US Air force). My guess is that person firearms are probably not allowed, but other personal items/weapons might be. The Gurkhas are allowed their own khukurees - but I don't know if this is a special provision for the Gurkha Brigade or not. Perhaps Berk or JP (via his British Army connexions) or someone else might know.

cheers, B.

Ghost should know something about this. Where is he when we need him?

John Powell may know something but I'm not sure. He spent all his Navy time having fun -- easy duty flying off carriers.

A great idea that I am sure many will take advantage of. I would love to pre-pay and order many items from HI but I am flat broke.:(
Having major surgery, moving to another state, and being unemployed will do that to you.
On a happy note, I gave away 3 HI khuks around the holidays- one to my younger brother who helped me move and two to close friends. Half of my collection! Two of those where Durba's! But they were the ones that wanted to go with those particular people. What can you do?
;)
Khukuris seem to like being given away, and it feels good to give someone an object that can become a family heirloom and last nearly forever.

Patrick Mc

Raven's Beak,

I know the feeling, I am in a hole and still digging deeper as we speak. Not too deep though...I can still see 'level ground'...if you will.

Good thing is that at the interest rates that I get'em at it really is like free money.

Bad thing is too many of my young'un peers are not paying back their loans and the next generation will have a hayll of a time getting any good rates for an education, or graduate level education at all.

I also found out yesterday that I get a 5% discount for arms purchases, and 10% off ammo at the gun store about 3 blocks down the street, just for being a student. (I didnt even know one existed there till I bought those drawknives and saw it wondering where I parked.) I thought that was interesting. I love Mom and Pop shops. :D :cool:

The Gurkhas are allowed their own khukurees

And what about the UK forces who are actually doing the peacekeeping in Afghanistan....

Hmmm...might wanna think twice on the UK forces since they serve alongside Gurkhas....

Could have a ruckus like the beret thing in our services. The Gurkhas themselves might not care,or be happy if people they fight beside have khuks too-- but I'm sure somebody higher-up in their command chain would feel that it somehow diminished their eliteness and by transference his.

Here's a perverse thought to sell more khuks....

Get one on that B.S. "Survivor" show--

I await a battalion of little pac-man guys blowing chips.....

Not instantly repelled by the idea?

Could be pretty amusing...After some contest, both sides get to open identical boxes. Losers get something like a scout knife and think it's pretty cool with can opener and all--winners get a big AK.

Then they make both teams move and build new shelters.:)

:D

But I'm not sure that having a HI Khuk in the hands of THAT lot would do the business any good... Actually :barf: :barf: :barf:

Andrew Limsk

Originally posted by firkin
Not instantly repelled by the idea?

Could be pretty amusing...After some contest, both sides get to open identical boxes. Losers get something like a scout knife and think it's pretty cool with can opener and all--winners get a big AK.

Then they make both teams move and build new shelters.:)

RV,

Our fine entertainment products like "survivor" get exported all the way over there?

Our fine entertainment products like "survivor" get exported all the way over there?

forgot the sarcasm thingie--the show's one of the worst of a pathethic genre...

And from what very little I've seen, they've gone from bad to worse. I can't imagine what people in a country where some people live in almost the same conditions must think of it. The eating contest show they're hyping now will be real popular in places where there's famine....Kick them all off the island!!:barf:

God bless all of ya for saying the truth about Survivor. I HATE that show:barf: :mad:

If you gave them a khukuri the P.C. weenies they usually have would sit there and bad mouth it, then someone would lop off a body part with it (or pass out into the fire with it), or kill an animal and make H.I. a P.E.T.A. target

And from what very little I've seen, they've gone from bad to worse. I can't imagine what people in a country where some people live in almost the same conditions must think of it. The eating contest show they're hyping now will be real popular in places where there's famine....Kick them all off the island!!

AMEN!!!:D :D :D

Back