A week hunting (with Busse content) ...

Andy the Aussie

Platinum Member
Gold Member
Soooo… I just spend the last week roaming around the mountains north of where I grew up chasing deer mostly and swine of course.

It was a reasonably productive week, fired 7 shots and put 6 critters on the ground. One clean miss  Got a stack of venison (5 of the 6 critters) and one swine.

The rut has not yet started but there are some good heads about along with lots of meat animals. It was too bloody hot for my taste (in this country) and it made the long walks up steep hills a sweaty affair….beats being at work though.

The reptiles were out in full force this trip with all of us in camp seeing at least one Common Brown Snake each (http://www.billabongsanctuary.com.au/aussie_animals/eastern_brown.html ), in my case three, one who while crossing the road on my drive in decided to coil and strike at 2 tons of Landcruiser doing 90km/h, one that popped up out of the grass next to my leg in the bush and one (that scared the bejesus out of me) that was making great speed toward me as I turned back toward my truck after opening a gate, my guess is I scared him as I drove down the road and actually overtook him and he caught up as I was out…he did a hard left and into the grass but the vision of him making full speed in my direct (he was only about 6 feet away) made me do a little dance on the spot…. :rofl: I have some further reptile stories to tell but they are getting a dedicated thread ;)

Got a few pics I snapped while I was away..

The TLC at the creek crossing at the back of the hut….

reekCruiser.jpg

That creek just there…

ParraCreek2.jpg

ParraCreek1.jpg

My Busse ASH1 at the creek… ;)

CreekBusse.jpg

Blooding the Busse B4

B4straps.jpg

B4Legs.jpg

The leeches were as friendly this year as they were last…got home several times to fing my pants blood soaked where one had fed and dropped off unnoticed… :mad:

ParraLeach.jpg

BusseLeach.jpg

The swine….

ParraHog1.jpg

The swine and the Busse…

BusseHog1.jpg

Posted without comment…… ;)

BusseHog2.jpg

One for a mate who chases such things.…

Butterfly.jpg

Some big fungus…

Fungus.jpg

And one of the Busse with a hog I “prepared earlier” (well…12 months ago)

ASHskull.jpg

In addition to the snakes away I stopped in a a mate's place on the way home and he was breaking the news to his wife that there was a brown snake in residence around their chook pen....talking to him after I got home he tells me that he nailed a 6 foot plus one just after I left ...but nooo, that was not the end of the reptiles on this trip... out saying hello to the pups with Mrs Andy and guess what she finds out in the yard...

RBBlackSnake1.jpg

It is a baby Red Belly Black snake... can make an adult sick, kill a child or the elderly and absolutely kill a dog...seems my two slightly retarded Fur kids were too good for it.... :) we watched them very closely for the next few hours for any tell tale signs of a bite. I recall a bit of a ruckus just before we went outside and my guess that was the "incident"

RBBlackSnake2.jpg

RBBlackSnake3.jpg

Last edited:
Looks like you made a great shot on the swine. I can do without the snakes!

Awesome pics! I have always wanted to go to Australia. My wife and i have been talking about planning a trip. I have done a lot of hog hunting here in Oklahoma but the scenery isn't as nice as yours. Lucky dog, you!

great pics, if you ever make it to Austin you are invited to hunt on my place. Tons of hogs here.

Yeah.....the shot was 90 yards running. The one miss for the week was a bigger sow she was standing next to...easy shot that I screwed up but I like to think I redeemed myself with the follow up... :)

Thanks guys... it is god's own country up there at the top of that little valley...!!!!!

Chook = Chicken .. :)

Good on ya mate!!! Man that is some nice country. Would love to get down there some day...

Great stuff, Andy - good trip by the sounds of it. Love the pics of the baby Red Belly - nasty buggers ! ;)
Thanks for sharing, mate ! :)

are those mushrooms edible? if so....what happens when you eat one of those? ....anything special perhaps?....... also, what caliber did you shoot the swine with?

Wow that's beautiful man, Don't ever forget how lucky you are. I cant wait to get back home away from the city.

Andy
Great pics! Hope you bring some deer jerky when we meet!
Looks like you had a great time out there!

Andy,
Congrat's on the good hunting and thank's sharing the picture's. How did the Basic-4 perform as a skinner? I have not had the chance to use mine yet.

Great thread Andy. What type of deer were you hunting?
Looks like you had a Awesome time.

Great shots Andy, thanks for sharing maaaaate! Makes me miss home. When my wife & I lived in Crescent Head we had a juvenile brown slither under our back door and into the loo. Scared the living hell out of me when I walked in to the bathroom the next morning. Where are you doing most of your hunting/hiking? Blue Mountains or further North?

Back