A year and four months.

Maybe I should have titled this post, "Musings" as that's just what it is. But it is about SAK's so here goes.

It's been a year and four months, since August of 2022, when I first read the post by a fellow forum member and SAK enthusiast. It was all about the 58mm, the classic in particular, being good enough of this lifestyle as a sole EDC. (Yes, I'm talking about you, Juergen). I'd been waffling that way, and on a downsize road for many years. My trip from a Buck 301 stockman, to a Buck 303 stockman, to a Case Peanut, to just a SAK had been taking place as I edged through middle age toward my senior citizen years.

For what ever reason, that post made something solidify in my thoughts. I'd been heading in that direction, with a classic on my keying in its little leather pouch sheath I made for it, but I always had something else in a pocket. A SAK like a tinker or recruit, or even my. old Wenger SI. But in truth, I rarely, if ever really needed that 'extra' item. So, in August of 2022, I went classic all the way. It was an eye opener.

It was like when I made the jump to EDC a Case peanut only, with no Buck stockman or 91mm SAK in another pocket. Just the peanut. It was a weird experience, but after a short while I acclimated. I got used to it. To the point, that when I tried to carry a stockman again, I had a problem with it. Aside from beveling like a brick in my pocket, it couldn't deal with loose screws, annoying mustache or nose hairs, chipped nails, splinters, and a host of other uses that a SAK, even a small SAK, handles in stride. Getting older was a help. As I aged, there seemed to come a new clarity of thought.

Now, a year and four months later, I've become soooooo acclimated to the 58mm SAK, that when I try to carry something else, it flat out doesn't work. If I drop something else in another pocket, in short order, a few hours ar best, it bugs me. Like a psychological pebble in my shoe, its just being there starts to bug my, and I drop it in my glove box if out in the car, or back in the drawer if home and I'm relived to be rid of it. In the past year and four months, the little classic has become the new normal for me, like my little Case peanut did in the past. There's v very little it won't do as far as opening my mail, Amazon packages, plastic blister packages, cutting the jute twine I use in the backyard and for all kinds of things, and slicing a bit of cheese off the block of Tillimock mild cheddar in the fridge. No, it's not worth a tinkers darn for processing wood in bushcraft, or surviving the Amazon jungle, but this senior citizen is not in either of those places or situations. At my age I'm not ever gong to see the real wilderness again, and last time we were at Yellowstone, we took the tourist train around with the other old farts, and that evening we sat on the veranda of the Yellowstone Lodge with cocktails in hand and watched Old faithful do its thing.

I'm a city guy at heart, and by breeding. Lived most my life in and around my hometown of Washington D.C., and although I did the backpacking thing, canoe camping, hiking the backcountry, I always came home to the city. When off in the boonies, I carried and still have in my daypack, a Buch fixed blade. But that didn't get carried in my daily life in and around D.C. or now in Georgetown Texas. Not much need for much knife going about life here, walking the dog on the path by the river, going to work out at the gym at the rec center down the road, fishing along the San Gabriel river, doing a road trip twice a year to California to check in with the daughters family. In truth, in modern life in suburbia or travel on modern interstates, not much need for anything but a keychain size penknife. The classic's ability to deal with Phillips screws, splinters, snipping jobs, is just gravy on the taters. The humble little classic is like a little penknife with added mission capability built into it. A knife is just a knife. But a SAK is a bundle of possible solutions to those little problems life loves to shove in our path.

Thank you, Juergen, for your inspiration.

Last edited:
I tried the SD Classic, but found it ... lacking ...
I "upgraded" to the SAK Signature (same size and tool set as the SD classic, but has a retractable ballpoint pen as a side tool in place of the multi purpose toopick (which replaces the to to me "useless no grip/ultra weak grip" 58mm "tweezers".
The same Signature was on my key ring for 20 years.
The original pen refill (blue ink) was still writing.
I used the signature as part of a trade to the ultimate 58mm upgrade: the Celledor Mini Champ, which retains the retractable ballpoint, and takes the multipurpose toothpick in the weak no grip "tweezers" slot, three years ago.
The Celledor Mini Champ has been on my keyring since. 😁👍

I still carry other knives and a SAK Huntsman and/or Hercules every day. The Hercules' pliers, for example, is great for holding the micro mesh stainless steel infuser when time to filter out the loose leaf tea leaves from the 2 cup measuring cup I nuke the tea ("cowboy style" loose in the water) into the cup/mug/sports bottle.
The larger blade(s) are good for cutting food at the table, as well.

The Huntsman's or Hercules' saw comes in handy for trimming low hanging branches and over-grown bushes so I and others don't walk into them. along the walks, here at the facility, and where they may scratch a vehicle in the parking lots. (grounds keeper was one of my responsibilities for 34~35 years ... can't help myself.)

Before the stroke, when I still lived in Twin Falls, I trimmed the low hanging branches downtown that people walking and bicyclists were likely to collide with. The "official" bike path, and the wide side walk were/are one-in-the-same.

There is more than one street in Twin Falls like that. If walking or on a bicycle or adult tricycle, you ride on the sidewalk, if you don't want to get squished, or ... "decorate" ... a vehicle's grill/bumper like an bug. 😳

PD tells u to ride the sidewalk. (their patrolmen on bicycles also ride the sidewalks, everywhere sidewalks exist ... which is most streets.)

Last edited:
I sort of envy your position.

Sort of.

But it would never work for me. Even though I'm 65 and retired, I own an old house. Like over 100 years old and it demands attention. And now, my daughter owns an old house. And I also own 30 acres of hunting land nearby, and this calls for mucho mowing in the summer months, and several mowing machines. Which demand attention. I'm the old, retired handyman who has plenty of time, so everybody thinks, to fix things. Truth is, I am a tinkerer and fixer by nature. And I'm a musician who gigged for a living for many years, and still play acoustic old time music with other "old timers" many times a month. And acoustic musical instruments require attention.

I carry a multi-tool (recently the new ARC) because it saves me time hunting down everyday tools.

I mean, I probably don't have as much time as everybody thinks I have...

I am a work in progress. I took Jackknifes Peanut Challenge several years ago, and while I passed the test, I just had trouble fiddling with the halfstops and trying to grasp the blade. Lovely to look at and I have 6 or 8 that I dearly love, but rarely carry. I have spent years and money searching for "The One" that I thought would be my "always". I got into the SAK's and quite like them and carry them more often than not. I'm no handyman by any stretch of the imagination, but find them very useful. I have both Alox and Cellidor 58mm sizes but once I found out about the 74mm, well, that did it for me. Always rides in my left front pocket with my little flashlight. Always. I do carry other pocket knives, rotating in and out, for fun, lately an old Buck 309 from around 1974, but that 74mm "Ambassador" is all a 60 year old office workin' fella needs. It's quite possible that it became "The One".

I am a work in progress. I took Jackknifes Peanut Challenge several years ago, and while I passed the test, I just had trouble fiddling with the halfstops and trying to grasp the blade. Lovely to look at and I have 6 or 8 that I dearly love, but rarely carry. I have spent years and money searching for "The One" that I thought would be my "always". I got into the SAK's and quite like them and carry them more often than not. I'm no handyman by any stretch of the imagination, but find them very useful. I have both Alox and Cellidor 58mm sizes but once I found out about the 74mm, well, that did it for me. Always rides in my left front pocket with my little flashlight. Always. I do carry other pocket knives, rotating in and out, for fun, lately an old Buck 309 from around 1974, but that 74mm "Ambassador" is all a 60 year old office workin' fella needs. It's quite possible that it became "The One".

I'd love the 74mm, IF they are available. But for whatever reason Victorinox had, you never saw them in the big box stores like the 58's, and then they discontinue them. If the executive and ambassador has been as available as the 58's, and priced somewhat compatibly, I'd be carrying one on me now. But they were scarce as hens teeth on the ground, and for the price of an executive, you could buy a classic and a tinker in some places.

It seemed to me that Victorinox was almost grudging in the production of the 74's, and doomed them from over pricing and lack of general availability. It was all beyond me. I'd have preferred the ambassador to the executive because I hated the orange peeler tool, and didn't really see the need for the second smaller blade. But except for internet buying, I never saw either of the 74's at a store.

But the classic is soooo out there, I can fly anywhere and stop at the first big box store I run across and they will have a classic in there. At the local gun show, there's a lady that shows up with boxes of TSA confiscated knives, and 90% of them are Vic classics. 5 bucks apiece, or if you buy three or more, 3 dollars each. I stock up so I have spares around, so I can hand out my classic to someone who doesn't have a knife.

The SAK classic is the Gideon's Bible of pocket knives.

Last edited:
All true sir. I found out about the 74 mm of SAKWiki and probably got the last one available from the river site in the US a year ago or so. Paid a pony and a blanket price too. And you are right, I've never seen one out in the stores anywhere. I quite like the 66 mm size as well, but this just hits the sweet spot for me. And thank you for your insight all these many years on the forum.

J jackknife what an honour! I think you must be referring to my old post on my former account as K. Coper in which I talk about having given away all of my SAK's apart from the 58's. Well, that's still the same.

Nothing really changed since then apart from the fact that a Classic and a Rally are on duty depending on the situation. I do like myself a dedicated bottle opener and not always need scissors.

I haven't been around here because life was busy, but I'm still a loyal 58mm user and have been during my absence.

J jackknife what an honour! I think you must be referring to my old post on my former account as K. Coper in which I talk about having given away all of my SAK's apart from the 58's. Well, that's still the same.

Nothing really changed since then apart from the fact that a Classic and a Rally are on duty depending on the situation. I do like myself a dedicated bottle opener and not always need scissors.

I haven't been around here because life was busy, but I'm still a loyal 58mm user and have been during my absence.

The post was in August 2022, and it was a tipping point. I had been heading that way for years, continually downsizing, and by 2022 I was down pretty good. But your post made me commit to the Total downsize. Since then, with very very few exceptions, the humble little classic has been my EDC, augmented with a Leatherman squirt for the small pliers that as a fumble finger arthritic old crock, I find need for.

A funny thing has happened, aside from my declining presence on the forum, but I have become so acclimated, I just don't miss any of my past times of the knife nut thing or firearm thing. I find I like the more spartan minimal life. Just makes everything simpler. The 58mm opens all my packages and mail, and cuts what I need to cut in my mostly urban life.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

the Total downsize.
It pretty much came naturally. One day a Classic made its way into my pocket and the 58mm frame, in whatever form, never left.

My surroundings are strictly urban. I have a kitchen with every type of kitchen knife you'd ever wish for. In the toolbox are the utility knives for the really rough jobs in and around the house. I don't ever go camping and stay in hotels when I'm away from home.

So what's left are packages that need to be opened, clothing tags that need to be removed, food packaging that needs to be cut, Coke cans that need to be removed from a six-pack shrink wrap in the supermarket etc. etc.

In essence, all the small jobs that require nothing more than a small piece of sharp steel. And when Christmas comes around or the batteries in some appliance are dead, a small flathead driver is a great thing for opening battery doors.

I don't live my life on the frontier in 19th century America. Neither am I living the life of a 1950's farmer in rural France or the Australian outback. I live in a strictly urban environment in a highly advanced western country in the 21st century.

All my food needs are met with a walk to the supermarket. I don't have to hunt for food. I have a house with central heating so I don't have to process wood to be cosy at home.

A 58mm SAK is a great little tool for all the small jobs that really do happen in my life. Like opening a kilo bag of coffee beans to fill the coffee machine at work. Or letters that arrive in the mail.

Oh and the cap lifter on my little SAK... Love it for helping me deal with my 1st world problem of nice Belgian ales that somehow have to be released of their crown caps at some point 😛

I don't need a big knife to deal with imaginary scenarios that will never happen in my lifetime.

And should the day arrive when my 58mm SAK really can't solve a problem, the world still won't end. I will just have to face the simple truth that I can't be prepared for everything all the time. Too bad. Nothing more. Life goes on. Long live the little SAK's!

It pretty much came naturally. One day a Classic made its way into my pocket and the 58mm frame, in whatever form, never left.

My surroundings are strictly urban. I have a kitchen with every type of kitchen knife you'd ever wish for. In the toolbox are the utility knives for the really rough jobs in and around the house. I don't ever go camping and stay in hotels when I'm away from home.

So what's left are packages that need to be opened, clothing tags that need to be removed, food packaging that needs to be cut, Coke cans that need to be removed from a six-pack shrink wrap in the supermarket etc. etc.

In essence, all the small jobs that require nothing more than a small piece of sharp steel. And when Christmas comes around or the batteries in some appliance are dead, a small flathead driver is a great thing for opening battery doors.

I don't live my life on the frontier in 19th century America. Neither am I living the life of a 1950's farmer in rural France or the Australian outback. I live in a strictly urban environment in a highly advanced western country in the 21st century.

All my food needs are met with a walk to the supermarket. I don't have to hunt for food. I have a house with central heating so I don't have to process wood to be cosy at home.

A 58mm SAK is a great little tool for all the small jobs that really do happen in my life. Like opening a kilo bag of coffee beans to fill the coffee machine at work. Or letters that arrive in the mail.

Oh and the cap lifter on my little SAK... Love it for helping me deal with my 1st world problem of nice Belgian ales that somehow have to be released of their crown caps at some point 😛

I don't need a big knife to deal with imaginary scenarios that will never happen in my lifetime.

And should the day arrive when my 58mm SAK really can't solve a problem, the world still won't end. I will just have to face the simple truth that I can't be prepared for everything all the time. Too bad. Nothing more. Life goes on. Long live the little SAK's!

You make your posts so eloquently to the point, and I wish I could do that without my rambling on too much. All the points you tick off is exactly what I have found to be true. All the years I tried to carry stuff that would work for every scenario was plain silly. You can never be prepared for every fantasy that the knife and gun and prepper magazines would have us try to, for sake of the sales of all the junk that their advertisers push.

Even when I was still backpacking, I never had use of the big bowie size 'survival' knives. The last several years I was doing the ultra light backpacking, a well worn SAK was good enough to slit open those Mountain House freeze dried packs of Turkey Tetrazani or Beef Stroganoff. And of course, not much knife needed for packs of Ramen or instant oatmeal.

I think all those years of carrying my dad's little Case peanut after he passed away, was a sort of preliminary education on what was not needed. I remember his teaching me at an early age that "It doesn't have to be big, just sharp." He got by his whole life with a little 2 inch blade doing what he had to do. I wish I had paid more attention to his preachings when I was young. He also got by in his life with just one little old Colt Woodsman .22 pistol. It took me a lifetime to learn what he was telling. It felt good to sell off/give away all the crap I really had no use for.

Like you said, we don't live on frontier America in the 1800's, or live in a fantasy world of post Apocalyptic disaster of roaming bands of mutant raiders. Every few days I drive down the road to the grocery store and we eat well until the next trip. I do enjoy fishing, and eating a nice fresh fish dinner that was swimming until not long before being cooked. And being in south central Texas, I'm not worried about long cold winters to survive if the grid goes down. It does get hot in summer, but the house is all stone so it actually stays cool for a good while if the air conditioner goes down like ti did a few years ago. We kept all the windows closed and it didn't get uncomfortable until the third day when the repair guy showed up. So, no wood processing needed for heating.

I think what phased me out of the Case peanut for the 58mm SAk was the tool factor. We live in a world where the whole thing is held together with small Phillis screws. The SD tip of my classic fits them well, and I have actually fixed stuff on the go with the classic. The scissors is handy for both snipping, and using the fixed half of the scissors as an awl for starter holes for wood screws that are driven in with the SD tip. The 58mm mini multitool is far handier than the dedicated knife like the Case peanut or Buck 309 Companion. I can do way more stuff with my classic and Leatherman Squirt, than I can with any dedicated knife.

Like you said, for life in the 21st century, in an urban environment, just a sharp little piece of steel is needed. If it has a few tools attached to it, so much the better.

You make your posts so eloquently to the point, and I wish I could do that without my rambling on too much. All the points you tick off is exactly what I have found to be true. All the years I tried to carry stuff that would work for every scenario was plain silly. You can never be prepared for every fantasy that the knife and gun and prepper magazines would have us try to, for sake of the sales of all the junk that their advertisers push.

Even when I was still backpacking, I never had use of the big bowie size 'survival' knives. The last several years I was doing the ultra light backpacking, a well worn SAK was good enough to slit open those Mountain House freeze dried packs of Turkey Tetrazani or Beef Stroganoff. And of course, not much knife needed for packs of Ramen or instant oatmeal.

I think all those years of carrying my dad's little Case peanut after he passed away, was a sort of preliminary education on what was not needed. I remember his teaching me at an early age that "It doesn't have to be big, just sharp." He got by his whole life with a little 2 inch blade doing what he had to do. I wish I had paid more attention to his preachings when I was young. He also got by in his life with just one little old Colt Woodsman .22 pistol. It took me a lifetime to learn what he was telling. It felt good to sell off/give away all the crap I really had no use for.

Like you said, we don't live on frontier America in the 1800's, or live in a fantasy world of post Apocalyptic disaster of roaming bands of mutant raiders. Every few days I drive down the road to the grocery store and we eat well until the next trip. I do enjoy fishing, and eating a nice fresh fish dinner that was swimming until not long before being cooked. And being in south central Texas, I'm not worried about long cold winters to survive if the grid goes down. It does get hot in summer, but the house is all stone so it actually stays cool for a good while if the air conditioner goes down like ti did a few years ago. We kept all the windows closed and it didn't get uncomfortable until the third day when the repair guy showed up. So, no wood processing needed for heating.

I think what phased me out of the Case peanut for the 58mm SAk was the tool factor. We live in a world where the whole thing is held together with small Phillis screws. The SD tip of my classic fits them well, and I have actually fixed stuff on the go with the classic. The scissors is handy for both snipping, and using the fixed half of the scissors as an awl for starter holes for wood screws that are driven in with the SD tip. The 58mm mini multitool is far handier than the dedicated knife like the Case peanut or Buck 309 Companion. I can do way more stuff with my classic and Leatherman Squirt, than I can with any dedicated knife.

Like you said, for life in the 21st century, in an urban environment, just a sharp little piece of steel is needed. If it has a few tools attached to it, so much the better.
Amen to that.

In general I think the public is being fooled by big corporations selling stuff that in many cases isn't really needed to achieve the desired goal. Expensive 5 bladed razor blades come to mind. It's crazy and not needed for a simple morning shave.

Same with knives. A stable hand and a sharp blade of just a few centimeters handles almost any cutting job just fine.

So it's not a question of what a small SAK can or can't do. Because I know for a fact that it can do almost anything any larger knife can do.

The real question is wether anyone owning a small SAK, has the confidence to solely rely on that small tool.

Many find it hard to do this because the companies that try to sell a knife, will tell you that it's impossible and you have to buy their knives or be doomed.

Experience taught me a lesson the knife companies will never teach you.

Amen to that.

In general I think the public is being fooled by big corporations selling stuff that in many cases isn't really needed to achieve the desired goal. Expensive 5 bladed razor blades come to mind. It's crazy and not needed for a simple morning shave.

Same with knives. A stable hand and a sharp blade of just a few centimeters handles almost any cutting job just fine.

So it's not a question of what a small SAK can or can't do. Because I know for a fact that it can do almost anything any larger knife can do.

The real question is wether anyone owning a small SAK, has the confidence to solely rely on that small tool.

Many find it hard to do this because the companies that try to sell a knife, will tell you that it's impossible and you have to buy their knives or be doomed.

Experience taught me a lesson the knife companies will never teach you.

I think that's what took so long to sink through even my thick skull:Thats it's all about the advertising and sales push for the money. The next bright shiny sales for the Cult object worship crowd. "They" have done a lot physiological research into the advertising for the next greatest thing to have. Look at the whole super steel thing. Ridiculous.

I keep coming back to the men I grew up around. Dad, Uncle Sonny, Uncle Charlie, all WW2 vets who before the war fought a battle just as hard, the Great Depression. Dad's family were all working watermen down on Maryland's eastern shore, harvesting crabs in summer and oysters in winter with a little farming to help out. Dad always carried a little Case peanut for a pocket knife. Uncle Sonny was a B17 pilot in the war, and carried a small pocket knife for his use. Maybe 3 inches closed with two small blades. Uncle Charlie got his feet wet on a beach in Normandy, and walked most the way to Berlin, and carried a Camillus TL-29. After the war, all these men still carried the same pocket knife.

Apparently the 21st century office cubicle commando needs more knife than the guys who fought WW2. Miracle steels that will skin three brontosaur's and chop down a giant redwood without resharpening. It really is just like the 5 bladed razors. There is a need to invent the better mousetrap, and it has noting to do with catching mice.

As for need of a knife, its speaks volumes that in the 1980's, we saw knife company after knife company going out of business because fewer and fewer people were carrying any knife at all. Schrade, Camillus, PAL, Robeson, and many others declared bankruptcy and closed their doors forever. Then a young man by the name of Lynn Thompson invented the tactical knife craze. Others followed his example and before you knew it, they had created an artificial knife market based on the fantasy of fighting off enemies, doing impossible deeds of surviving the wilds, with your one hand opening miracle folder of the steel of the month. Advertising for these knives ran from their ability to stab through a car door, (Got to watch out for those rabid Chevy's) to "de-animating a sentry. Yes there was one company that did that.

I'm only regretful that it took me sooooo long to wake up from the infection. Now, I totally trust myself to walk out the door in the morning with just my little classic and Leatherman squirt. If I'm dealing with food, then I'm in my kitchen where I have some nice Victorinox kitchen knives. If I'm not home, then I'm someplace where they have eating utensils. If I'm out and I need to open a package, cut some cordage, or slice some BBQ brisket, my classic with do fine just as it has in the past. In fact, just now I used my little classic to slice off a corner of the grilled cheese sandwich I'm having for breakfast. Abby the Australian shepherd loved the handout.

Maybe SAkdom is a state of mind for those who deal with realism of life.

Last edited:
I think that's what took so long to sink through even my thick skull:Thats it's all about the advertising and sales push for the money. The next bright shiny sales for the Cult object worship crowd. "They" have done a lot physiological research into the advertising for the next greatest thing to have. Look at the whole super steel thing. Ridiculous.

I keep coming back to the men I grew up around. Dad, Uncle Sonny, Uncle Charlie, all WW2 vets who before the war fought a battle just as hard, the Great Depression. Dad's family were all working watermen down on Maryland's eastern shore, harvesting crabs in summer and oysters in winter with a little frying to help out. Dad always carried a little Case peanut for a pocket knife. Uncle Sonny was a B17 pilot in the war, and carried a small pocket knife for his use. Maybe 3 inches closed with two small blades. Uncle Charlie got his feet wet on a beach in Normandy, and walked most the way to Berlin, and carried a Camillus TL-29. After the war, all these men still carried the same pocket knife.

Apparently the 21st century office cubicle commando needs more knife than the guys who fought WW2. Miracle steels that will skin three brontosaur's and chop down a giant redwood without resharpening. It really is just like the 5 bladed razors. There is a need to invent the better mousetrap, and it has noting to do with catching mice.

As for need of a knife, its speaks volumes that in the 1980's, we saw knife company after knife company going out of business because fewer and fewer people were carrying any knife at all. Schrade, Camillus, PAL, Robeson, and many others declared bankruptcy and closed their doors forever. Then a young man by the name of Lynn Thompson invented the tactical knife craze. Others followed his example and before you knew it, they had created an artificial knife market based on the fantasy of fighting off enemies, doing impossible deeds of surviving the wilds, with your one hand opening miracle folder of the steel of the month. Advertising for these knives ran from their ability to stab through a car door, (Got to watch out for those rabid Chevy's) to "de-animating a sentry. Yes there was one company that did that.

I'm only regretful that it took me sooooo long to wake up from the infection. Now, I totally trust myself to walk out the door in the morning with just my little classic and Leatherman squirt. If I'm dealing with food, then I'm in my kitchen where I have some nice Victorinox kitchen knives. If I'm not home, then I'm someplace where they have eating utensils. If I'm out and I need to open a package, cut some cordage, or slice some BBQ brisket, my classic with do fine just as it has in the past. In fact, just now I used my little classic to slice off a corner of the grilled cheese sandwich I'm having for breakfast. Abby the Australian shepherd loved the handout.

Maybe SAkdom is a state of mind for those who deal with realism of life.

Your stories continue to inspire. I’d have a hell of a lot more money if I’d just stuck with that SAK tinker my father bought for me I was little before a family camping trip.

If I’m being honest with myself I know I could probable live the rest of my life with a 91mm SAK in my pocket and a small fixed blade and be just fine. I’m not fighting off ninjas, or parachuting behind enemy lines. I’m a mechanic in SoCal, not a special ops couch commando. Hell i find myself needing a flat head screwdriver at least as much as I need a knife.

I cleaned house recently before a move and the knives were no exception. I downsized to under 10. The ones I kept are the 3 or so I use and those with sentimental value. It was liberating to say the least. Am I ready to take the plunge to just a SAK Spartan or a tinker? No. I still carry a modern folder paired with a classic on my keys. Occasionally I’ll supplement those with a sharpfinger on my belt if I’m riding long distances. But I’m sure the day will come I return to my SAK roots.

Dadric Panther, it sounds like you are exactly where I was in my 40's.

For 25 years, my regular EDC was a well used Buck 301 stockman. A husky well build knife for rugged use. That and my Wenger SI, were my two main knives for the real world. So, I was used to the idea of a husky, slightly heavy pocket knife for all those "emergencies" and other fantasy paper back novel uses that I just may, in a blue moon, have to deal with.

BUT...that little three letter word pops up... having my dad for a dad, left me with a lot of growing up years where I had a father and teacher and mentor that was into the Maximum minimalism. So, I had lots of examples of how a small knife could do. BUT...life happens, and Dad passed away when I was in my early 40's, from an. unexpected collision with Hodgkins disease.

One day, some months after he passed, I looked at his well worn little Case peanut that was in the wooden tray on my dresser, and in a mood of just sentimentality, I dropped his little knife in my pocket. Not to use mind you, but just as a way of maybe keeping him and all the memories a bit closer. Of course, fate took a hand. I got tempted to actually use it.

I did it gently, just cutting open a box of parts to be modified on the Bridgeport mill I was working on. I was amazed at how smoothly and effortlessly the thin blade slid through the cardboard and packing tape. So I used it some more, gently. Soon after, I purchased a new Case peanut to experiment with. That started the "experiment."

For the next few months I made it a point to use the peanut anytime I needed to cut something. Of course I kept my big old Buck stockman in my pocket because surely that little peanut couldn't really make a EDC pocket knife. Right?

Wrong. Soon I realized that I had not used my old Buck for quite a while. One day I took a chance. I dropped the peanut in my pocket and made myself walk out the door with just that. No Buck stockman, no Wenger SI in another pocket. I trusted to fate, and went to work with just the tiny little peanut. The sun still rose in the east, the wind still blew, and the day went by just fine. As well as the next day, and the next, and so on. I found that for modern life in suburbia, the Case peanut was just fine. I'm sure somewhere, Dad was smiling.

Years late I went through a similar process with the teeny classic. This time, my wife was the influence. I had watched her for a few months using and abusing a classic, sure I would hear the tinkling of small parts hitting the floor as it self destructed. Nope, didn't happen. The little thing just kept on serving. So I bought myself a classic and for the next few months I did like the peanut experiment. If I had need of my pocket knife, I made it a point to use the classic first. My "real" knife was on standby in another pocket. It was never needed. The morning came that I had to trust to the Red Gods Of fate, and walk out the door with just my classic. Again, the sun still rose in the east and set in the west, the seasons changed, and life went on. BUT...I was even less encumbered now. The classic went on my keys so I could never leave the house without my little SAK. BUT...unlike the peanut, this little thing could deal with flat and small Phillips screws, snip, pluck, cut, and even clean my teeth if needed. My little peanut, and all other dedicated knives, were all one trick ponies.

So, go on Panther, take the plunge. Go SAK and nothing else. The sun will still rise in the east and life will go on, but you will be a bit liberated. And unencumbered. A SAK as a sole EDC pocket knife will do just fine in today's modern world. :thumbsup:

So today I decided to put away my Rally and replace it with a new Classic. This because I started missing the little scissors. So from today it's once more the Classic for me.

My change from larger SAK's to the smaller 58's, was definitely inspired by J jackknife and his many posts on this forum. Apart from those, using the Classic in real life just made so much sense. Literally every knife task I encounter daily, can be handled easily by the blade of a 58mm SAK. I have even used a 58mm SAK for cutting up large furniture boxes and it worked just fine.

Life in a modern highly advanced society in the 21st century, doesn't require much knife. Many who are into EDC will make you believe something else. My opinion is that it is just plain stupid to show up at work or anywhere for that matter with some large knife, just to open lunch or cut a label tag.

A Classic for out of the house and on the road and some type utility knife for home maintenance kind of jobs, are basically all you need.

I have a special relationship with the 58mm SAK Line. A Classic was in my pocket on the evening my son was born just a few months ago. It was even used that evening to remove the tags from his first set of clothes. That Classic is boxed up with a small note from his dad, to be given to him when he's the appropriate age.

Life in a modern highly advanced society in the 21st century, doesn't require much knife. Many who are into EDC will make you believe something else. My opinion is that it is just plain stupid to show up at work or anywhere for that matter with some large knife, just to open lunch or cut a label tag.
Juergen23, I think it's all symptomatic of a glutinous society with no moderation. Not just the knives, but the same with guns, cars, motorcycles, and so on. Way too many spoiled gen X'ers and too much disposable income for reason. I've been into firearms most my life, but the American gun industry and other has gone ape. The gun magazines would have you believe that you need a 17 round Glock and at least three spare magazine and a backup gun for just going down to the store for a carton of milk. The car industry is just as bad. Why drive a nice car when you can have a 5,000 pound SUV or jacked up truck that gets 10 miles per gallon, spews hydrocarbons like doomsday, and feeds your Hollywood movie driven fantasies?

The magazines, TV ads, all of it feeds a greedy industry that specializes in selling the merchandise to the unwary public at large. Our little corner of the universe, the knife nuts, are fed the bull hockey by the knife magazines who are the shill's of the knife industry. I fell for it at one time, but I thank the Lord above that for some reason I took a step back and took a long hard look at it. Thern I sold off everything and now just carry a small SAK. Same with the guns, the motorcycles, power tools, prepper junk, the expensive watches, all o fit. My 14.95 little Casio analog watch keeps perfect time, and can be replaced for the price of a chain restaurant lunch. My little SAK classic opens all my packages and cuts string, boxes, a slice of cheese of the block of Tillimook cheddar in the fridge. My little Toyota gets silly gas milage, needs very little maintenance, and if lasts like the last one, (20 years and 200 thousand miles with no major problems,) I'll be happy.

No, the various industries are out to con, lie, cheat the consumer out of his money for nothing else but a higher profit line on the chart at the monthly board meetings. The humble SAK represents one the few honest good worth per dollar on the market today. The modern EDC movement is a good example. Driven by the companies that make all kinds of ridiculous stuff, they want you to believe you need to be ready to deal with everything from WW3, to a major comet strike on the earth, to zombi hordes out for your blood.

It all gets stupid after a while.

Back