A2 Steel Update

be been considering this over some time now....I'll consider buying it in 4034 only if it comes in low dollars price point like the knives its competing against now. for a premium amount still no thanks.
My main concern with 4034 is the safety, particularly when it comes to big knives. If you chop even a thin tree with it and it shatters into a million pieces at the fifth strike, it’s not gonna be fun.

My main concern with 4034 is the safety, particularly when it comes to big knives. If you chop even a thin tree with it and it shatters into a million pieces at the fifth strike, it’s not gonna be fun.
would it do that? think it'd be run that hard to be that brittle? I figured it'd be softer run to bend, roll and warp instead of shatter?

Depends on the HT. I hope they treat it to withstand repeated shocks.
Considering barley any alloying except lots of Chromium to make it stainless, and rather low carbon content at around 0.4%...
Either edge retention or toughness will suffer badly.

If they heat treat it to hold an edge - it's going to be brittle.
If they heat treat it to withstand repeated shocks - it'll be soft, you can expect rolls each time you hit something hard, and possibly even bent blade depending on what you do with it.

This is a wall hanger, it's even made out of steel that's used for wall hangers.

Having rolls and warps each time you chop sounds like Schrade quality, but anyway we’ve covered this ground before. Let’s wait for these 4034 gems to hit the market and then see what happens.

Having rolls and warps each time you chop sounds like Schrade quality, but anyway we’ve covered this ground before. Let’s wait for these 4034 gems to hit the market and then see what happens.

how long do you wait??
Wait 2 years on A2 and nothing
Hard to believe it is almost SIX MONTHS since the post.
Is that not plenty of time for the slow boat from China??
I guess the excuse will be the selling of the company.
I say selling the company was in the works when this was announced.
Abandon the Cold Steel ship and if you want this high quality order a BUD K catalog.

True. But I’m still curious what direction the company will take.

For now, I’m looking into Beckers. Either the 9 or the 7 as soon as my local knife seller restocks.

True. But I’m still curious what direction the company will take.

For now, I’m looking into Beckers. Either the 9 or the 7 as soon as my local knife seller restocks.

get the bk9 it beats trailmaster hands down
try tomarskabars has best prices and good reputation
the sheath isn't fantastic but suitable: my opinion
the knife is fantastic

it beats a non existent A2 trailmaster

Back