About the Spyderco Kapara

I've been looking at this knife for a while now and while it is beautiful i can't seem to pull the trigger based on it being a food prep folder. Would it be worth getting even if i never plan to use it for food prep at all? I mean besides the extra length it just seems like a useful slicey blade. I would mainly like it as a gentleman's folder.

I've been looking at this knife for a while now and while it is beautiful i can't seem to pull the trigger based on it being a food prep folder. Would it be worth getting even if i never plan to use it for food prep at all? I mean besides the extra length it just seems like a useful slicey blade. I would mainly like it as a gentleman's folder.
I think you can cut just about anything you would want to cut with this knife, not just food. It's beautiful and cleverly designed. It would serve well on my farm, I suspect.

Zieg

It's not great as a 'food prep folder.' It's not in the same league as a Spydiechef, in that regard. (I have both) It doesn't really give any knuckle clearance, where the Spydiechef does.

It DOES have a nice long sharpened edge though, which is always handy for food prep.

It is a useful slicey blade, and I like those. The steel's not overly thick, like the Para family. I had a Pattada before; I'm not sure which one I'd prefer. That needle point of the Pattada was handy, but I was always afraid I'd screw it up during sharpening.

The ergonomics are interesting, too. It's not like it fits every contour of my hand, like my Manix 2 does (choked up to the choil or not) but it does feel good.

Very handy and well-carrying knife

Smooth CF and S30V blade make it less than ideal for food prep but lend well to EDC carry.

I wish the CF was just a tad rougher, to be honest.

I bought the Kapara and Spydiechef on the same order and still have both but the Chef gets five times the pocket time.

It's not great as a 'food prep folder.' It's not in the same league as a Spydiechef, in that regard. (I have both) It doesn't really give any knuckle clearance, where the Spydiechef does.

It DOES have a nice long sharpened edge though, which is always handy for food prep.

It is a useful slicey blade, and I like those. The steel's not overly thick, like the Para family. I had a Pattada before; I'm not sure which one I'd prefer. That needle point of the Pattada was handy, but I was always afraid I'd screw it up during sharpening.

The ergonomics are interesting, too. It's not like it fits every contour of my hand, like my Manix 2 does (choked up to the choil or not) but it does feel good.
Thx for the info, it will also be my first compression lock so i finally get to see what all the hype is about. :) hard to beat the manix 2 ergos lol

I think you can cut just about anything you would want to cut with this knife, not just food. It's beautiful and cleverly designed. It would serve well on my farm, I suspect.

Zieg
It really is just a great looking knife. The best description i saw of it was a "tuxedo endura"

The Kapara is a remarkable knife. I consider it a high end gents folder. Build quality is superior. Handling
is excellent too. I found the lock on mine a bit stiff and adjusted it...now it is perfect. It is pretty in person
and much better than photos indicate. The blade is long and slicey.
I bought mine before the price increase and after they added a pivot bushing. Highly recommended!
I think it is the best spyderco I own. It is even cooler than my Advocate! The scales are spectacular
and feel great. You need it. I bought mine because the specs indicated it would be good for a EDC.
I was wrong. It is so much more special than that. It feels...really expensive...luxurious.

Get it before the price goes up even more!

I absolutely love mine and it just might be my favorite Spydie and that says a lot.
Yes it’s forte is food prep but do not underestimate this knife because It doesn’t have “tactical” in its description. I would not have a problem using this knife in a self defense situation over a Yojimbo or Jumbo or anything else including a Canis which I’ve owned them all. This is a wonderful knife I can not say enough about. Except if you don’t have one your missing out and it’s your loss. My only complaint is waiting this long to get one .
End of story.
x2ukIUP.jpg

So, I have been longing for the Kapara for a very long time and passed on a few on the sales forum. But through my hunting, I got into the Taichung models in general. So I got the Amalgam, GB2, Smock and Mantra2 along with a couple of other Spyderco’s. Fast forward a few months after I am now broke, I receive an email saying the Kapara is back in stock at DLT. Go figure...

I have over 130 Spyderco's including the SpydieChef and other LC200N/H1 bladed knives, and never found a compelling reason to buy the Kapara for food prep (which it was apparently designed for even though it's made w/S30V steel) or any other purpose.

That doesn't make it a "bad" knife. It's just a knife that I don't need given all of the Spydercos (and other knives) that I already own.

It was a knife that always intrigued me, but was always pushed aside in favour of something else, unfortunately. Now that I'm retired on a pension, my days of spending >200 bucks (CAD) on a knife is past I'm afraid. Should have bought one a year ago I guess.

I have the Kapara QCI (basically just with pivot busing) and it is a fantastic large gentlemans folder from spyderco which I think is a more apt category for it to fall into as opposed to food prep. The Spyderco line has better blades for food prep such as the spydie chef already mentioned that integrates some level of hand/knuckle clearance required for rocking cuts (the kind you can do with a full sized dedicated chef knife found in most kitchen knife blocks.

As a gentlemans knife, it hits a great niche not yet filled by spyderco that tends to either go very small (see the CF version of the Chapparal) or overly textured and large (Endura, PM2, Police 4, Manix 2). I'd love to see one from the factory with micarta and either Vanax or LC200N rather than the run of the mill S30V regardless of how well Spyderco treats common S30V, I just already have several examples of their S30V so having the unique design elements along with a unique steel would make more sense to me.

My opinion is go ahead and pull the trigger. It isn't going to get any cheaper (currently $203 most places!).

Back