About the Spyderco Kapara

Here's one I didn't post in that other thread.

alsCIdC.jpg

Here's one I didn't post in that other thread.

alsCIdC.jpg

Is this a custom one off scale job or is someone making these for sale? I'd love to add some micarta scales to dress up or down (depending on how you look at it) my kapara.

I absolutely love mine and it just might be my favorite Spydie and that says a lot.
Yes it’s forte is food prep but do not underestimate this knife because It doesn’t have “tactical” in its description. I would not have a problem using this knife in a self defense situation over a Yojimbo or Jumbo or anything else including a Canis which I’ve owned them all. This is a wonderful knife I can not say enough about. Except if you don’t have one your missing out and it’s your loss. My only complaint is waiting this long to get one .
End of story.
x2ukIUP.jpg

Exactly my sentiments. It's a superb light weight general EDC folder. Not often that you see an exact replica (except for sharpening choil that maker shows you how to duplicate) of a custom knife.

Exactly my sentiments. It's a superb light weight general EDC folder. Not often that you see an exact replica (except for sharpening choil that maker shows you how to duplicate) of a custom knife.
Couldn’t agree more ! Mine hasn’t left my pocket since it’s arrival. I was amazed how well it slices and cuts along with feeling great in hand while doing it .

Is this a custom one off scale job or is someone making these for sale? I'd love to add some micarta scales to dress up or down (depending on how you look at it) my kapara.
It's a one off unfortunately. @razor-edge-knives It solved my only gripe with the Kapara, which was the slippery scales when using the compression lock.

His books are full though. He's busy making his own custom folders and fixed blades!

This just encourages them to keep jacking up prices. :-(

I am on record deploring the move up in their pricing. I like the blades but the value proposition is decreasing.
Price a para 2 now...not nearly as big a bang for buck as it was. This bums me out.
It also caused me to explore slightly more expensive knives and as a result, I have a good number of ZT's now.

I really like my ZT knives...and Spyderco raising prices is what caused me to try them...so not all bad I suppose!

Received the kapara today. The knife is gorgeous and falls shut like a guillotine :). The only thing i noticed are the scales aren't as rounded as they appear in the pictures. Is that just the way the photos look?

I've almost bought this one a few times, but I'm trying to avoid buying any more compression lock models (my least favorite lock mechanism, unless it's been Smockified) because I never carry any of the compression lock knives I own.

I am on record deploring the move up in their pricing. I like the blades but the value proposition is decreasing.
Price a para 2 now...not nearly as big a bang for buck as it was. This bums me out.
It also caused me to explore slightly more expensive knives and as a result, I have a good number of ZT's now.

I really like my ZT knives...and Spyderco raising prices is what caused me to try them...so not all bad I suppose!
Yeah I remember when you could get a S110V PM2 for $150. Hell my Gayle Bradley was $145.

Received the kapara today. The knife is gorgeous and falls shut like a guillotine :). The only thing i noticed are the scales aren't as rounded as they appear in the pictures. Is that just the way the photos look?
Photos do not capture it well. What do you think? The blade is much nicer in person isn't it?
The fit and finish on mine is exceptional...I hope yours is too!

Photos do not capture it well. What do you think? The blade is much nicer in person isn't it?
The fit and finish on mine is exceptional...I hope yours is too!
fit and finish is perfect. I was just surprised it is much slimmer that i expected, by the bladehq photos i was expecting a thick round handle lol. The compression lock is a little difficult to use left handed but i'm getting used to it. Closing it like a back lock seems to work well.

fit and finish is perfect. I was just surprised it is much slimmer that i expected, by the bladehq photos i was expecting a thick round handle lol. The compression lock is a little difficult to use left handed but i'm getting used to it. Closing it like a back lock seems to work well.
I am glad for you! Enjoy it. They are epic knives.

I own 3 Spydies, but I'm pretty new to the Kapara. Had never heard of it until very recently after ordering and receiving a defective knife from BHQ.
I wanted to replace the defective knife, so I started doing my research, and the Kapara jumped out at me. I like the blade shape, love the handle contours/ergos, it's both narrow and long, and I've never owned a CF handle OR a compression lock knife. It checked off quite a few boxes, the main one being the blade shape. I was slightly thrown by the S30V steel in a blade this costly ($203 + tax), but I've had very positive experiences with that steel in the past. Plus, when you don't focus on all the other options out there today, S30V is actually a really good steel (and I've heard the Taichung S30V is finished really well).

Looked over a few reviews to find out about all the stuff people liked/disliked about the knife, and ultimately decided to pull the trigger. Should be here in about a week and I'm pretty stoked to get it into my hands.

I've been looking at this knife for a while now and while it is beautiful i can't seem to pull the trigger based on it being a food prep folder. Would it be worth getting even if i never plan to use it for food prep at all? I mean besides the extra length it just seems like a useful slicey blade. I would mainly like it as a gentleman's folder.

dupe

I own 3 Spydies, but I'm pretty new to the Kapara. Had never heard of it until very recently after ordering and receiving a defective knife from BHQ.
I wanted to replace the defective knife, so I started doing my research, and the Kapara jumped out at me. I like the blade shape, love the handle contours/ergos, it's both narrow and long, and I've never owned a CF handle OR a compression lock knife. It checked off quite a few boxes, the main one being the blade shape. I was slightly thrown by the S30V steel in a blade this costly ($203 + tax), but I've had very positive experiences with that steel in the past. Plus, when you don't focus on all the other options out there today, S30V is actually a really good steel (and I've heard the Taichung S30V is finished really well).

Looked over a few reviews to find out about all the stuff people liked/disliked about the knife, and ultimately decided to pull the trigger. Should be here in about a week and I'm pretty stoked to get it into my hands.

I think you will like it. A lot.

I just got myself the pre-CQI version, so no bushing pivot. I would describe the knife as a gentleman's folder. I like the massive carbon scales. I am a fan of Spyderco's wire clip.
I like the looong cutting edge. It opens very smooth and closes with one flick of the polse.
But: the compression lock is a bit hard to operate. I think the reason is that the scales are very narrow at this point.
The carbon is a bit slippery.
The balance is 1 inch too far to the back.
No jimping on this smooth knife???
However, it will be a keeper. But I will acid-wash the hardware so it has the same look as the pivot.

It's a one off unfortunately. @razor-edge-knives It solved my only gripe with the Kapara, which was the slippery scales when using the compression lock.

His books are full though. He's busy making his own custom folders and fixed blades!
That's a bummer. I was just looking at your photo thinking..."I'd carry mine every day if I could dress it up like that" ;)

I think it's one of spyderco nicest looking cf knives. Great clip and nice blade. Opening methods are limited to thumb flick and the compression lock require too much pinching that wasn't comfortable. I ended up selling it and getting the ikutchi*
Much happier with it. Not as pretty but it does have a nice look and love the operation with easy free drop while still having no side play that's a pain to adjust like some of the other spydercos

Back