Accuracy International/Tac Ops

Hey,
I now have the fortunate opportunity to represent and do demo shooting for two rifle companies. Accuracy Internatinal and Tac Ops. This is a great opportunity and I am happy to share info with the forum or personal info on more professional data regarding these two companies and their products.
I have many rounds out of both and would like to hear some thoughts on them and/or others.
What are your thoughts on Bolt guns?
Duane Dwyer

A wise man once told me that there is an ass for every seat......

In the non-combat world that I live in where a rifle is meant to kill a varmit and the main limiting factor in your range is your skill, bolt guns are the only way to go. Nothing like a high quality bull barrelled, bolt rifle with good glass on top when you don't plan on carrying it far and you only plan on putting one or two bullets down range in a day.

Have fun with your new venture.

Dennis

Duane

I saw a demo on an Accuracy International rifle at Trexpo last year and was throughly impressed. The rep. bounced the gun on the ground repeatedly, and it still held it's zero, and I mean REALLY bounced it too.

Expensive...but it looks like you get what you pay for from this company. Wish I could afford one!

What is your opinion of a Remington 700 PSS in .308?

Duane,

I shot the SOF Tactical 3-gun match a couple of years ago on at team sponsored by AI. Got to help at the booth at the convention and worked with the guys at the range during the demo shoot.

They had a 300 Win Mag that shot "lights out" all the way to the end of the range (hitting 4" and 6" steel plates was child's play out to 600 yds).

The AI rifles, while expensive, are tremendous pieces of work. It seemed as though their domestic sales/promotion structure was a bit unorganized at the time. I'm sure they've improved since then.

Good luck with the shooting and promoting work. I'm sure it'll be interesting and fun.

DT

Duane you lucky devil! You have my dream job! Congrat man, you deserve it!

Here is where you will think I am nuts! I love bolt guns, I want one of the Blaser LSR2 rifles in the worst way! http://www.sigarms.com/products/blaserlrs2-models.asp?product_id=108&product_name=Magnum I handled one of these as well as a Sauer SSG 3000 at the SHOT Show. You have any thoughts on these? Oh yeah, why Im nuts, I own 3 bolt guns, a Jap Arisaka my Dad took off Okinawa, an old .270 Remington and a Winchester 52 Sporter in .22lr! I need a good bolt gun with good glass as my eyes are failing, I held out as long as I could and used to be able to shoot long range with iron sights with the best of them but no longer! :(

Aren't the AI guns made in the USA? Just a thought, Rob. I bet I know someone that can get you a smoking good deal on one too. Hmmmm....;)

Our agency is getting ready to purchase two Tango 51's from Tac Ops. If you are not familiar with Mike's work, he is probably the king of the hill right now doing Remington 700's. They do some awesome suppressor work as well. For those of you who don't know. Duane is probably better known in the tactical community as a total stud behind a bolt gun than he is in the knife community.

Ryan, the AI rifles are way cool, I read a write up on them in the latest GUNS Magazine as well as talked to Duane about them a couple weeks ago. I would love to have one! :)

Ill have to look up the Tac Ops stuff, they sound interesting as well.

The Blaser can take a bunch of calibers with the quick change barrell and quick change bolt face.

Vinnie, what do you think?

When I first read this post, I wasn't familiar with the Tac Ops rifle. After doing some quick looking on the net, I have come away impressed. I don't know that I've ever seen a rifle of any type with a 1/4 minute accuracy gar. from the manufacturer.

The retail price looked pretty reasonable for a rifle of this type (saw a $2,800 retail on one site). I'd be interested if the 1/4 minute accuracy is a reality. If so, this is absolutely the best buy in precision bolt guns. Better and much less expensive than the AI rifles (probably not a cool looking though).

DT

A modified AI rifle is used by Swedish snipers. I think they even made it a special model like "lappelander" or "northlander", not sure. Something like that. Long gun, fondled it a bit. Hadn´t the chance to shoot with one then. Interesting ammo.

/Colinz

Hey Duane!

CONGRATS!
You had mentioned earlier last year of your connection with AI. Awesome rifles. Bolt action rifles and long range precision shooting.....................an awesome discipline and there is nothing more satisfying than shooting a precision bolt gun, especially one that you can drag thru the bush.

Personally, I like the Mcmillan A-4 stock adn the design of the M40A1 and A3, but the AI's are definitely state of the art.

Rob,
I first shot an AI gun while teaching the Saudi Arabian SEALS. They had a .338 You could shoot the dots off the turban s with that gun. It had a quick detachable scope that never seemed to lose it's zero. Of course those clows had no idea how to use it. They were wondering why our .308 ammo wouldn't would in there .338.

Now that Duane is activly involved with AI he is trying to help the Marine Corps Sniper community and get some rifle out where thay need to be. The AI rifles are hands down one of the best rifles I have ever fired slammed on the ground and fired again.

It's way cool that Duane is involved with them. Nothing bad can come from that partnership.

Vinnie

Does AI expense account the Guiness?

Slamming a rifle on the ground and haveing it hold it's zero really doesn't mean much as far as the rifle itself is concerned. What kind of scope, ring's, and base do they use? Also is it a one or two piece and why?

Congrats, Duane. I'm sort of getting into precision shooting. I will be taking a class at Storm Mountain Training Center next month. I have also taken a Chuck Taylor course. I currently have 2 Rem 700s in .308 and 1 in 300 WM. I recently purchased a Leupold M3 from Premier Reticles with their Gen 2 reticles. I also have a couple other Leupold tac scopes. I also just purchased 1000 rounds each of Black Hills 190 gr and 175 gr match ammo. I haven't told my fiancee how much it, the scope and my Strider order is costing :cool:

Tom B,
Bring a rifle of yours and we'll bring an AI gun. If your gun can even function after we do what you can to an AI gun I'll buy your rifle for twice as much as it's worth.
The fact that you can subject AI rifle to abuse and punishmnet does say a lot about the gun. Just like your comments say a lot about you.

Vinnie

Interesting... Congratulations Duane.
I've put some time in behind the 700PSS in .308, .223 & the .308 light tactical. All around great guns for the price but I don't think that they compare to the ruggedness of the AI's. I'm still waiting for the day that I get an opportunity to get behind one and put some rounds down range.

I've also put rounds thru the HK PSG-1 and was impressed with it's accuracy out at ranges of 300+. I've read a lot of interesting articles concerning the polygonal barrels and really like what I see.... there's a company (Tactical Ordinance) that's offering them now in the United States. It's been a European thing for many years and is starting to catch the eye of benchrest shooters here in the states. With the poly barrel you get increased muzzle velocity, far less copper fouling, increased firing time between cleanings & increased barrel life (substantial increase). There really isn't a downside to using a good poly barrel. They are achieving the same accuracy outta the poly barrels as they are the button rifled barrels these days and having a far greater barrel life. Something about shooting all day long without having to clean the barrel due to accuracy loss compared to the constant cleaning every 10-15 rounds on the button barreled guns. I would still never part with my M700 in .308 though.

As far as Tactical Operations go... I think they're first class bolt guns. I've talked to Mike on the phone and he is really a great guy with a wealth of information, I hung up with that conversation with more info than I knew what to do with. :) Again, I'm waiting the opportunity to fire one.

Again, Congratulations Duane

killerkain

What is the preference amongst the AI competitive shooters for the AWM series between the Magnum calibers (.300 WM and .338 Lapua)?

Back