Active Duty Ahoy!

Oh, thank you, sir. I'm sorry, I was unaware that you were away. I hope I didn't sound like I was bugging you, it was not my intention.

Gongrats on the AD! Its one of my favorite EDC's. Mine did come with a seriously obtuse edge angle, it took me some time and a lot of steel removal and its still not quite there yet. I used a rather rough diamond rod and it seems to be the best at getting results quickly. If and when you do send it back just ask them to thin the edge profile a bit and you'll get a great little slicer back. :)

What he said. The stones of your Sharpmaker are probably hitting the shoulder of the grind, where the edge grind tansitions to the main grind of the blade. Common problem on Busse blades with thick (obtuse) grind. The way to check this is to use a black Sharpie marker and blacken the entire edge. Then make several passes on the stone, and look closely at the edge, a 10x loupe helps. The shiny metal reveals where the stone was working, and it's probably not at the edge where you need it. This tip will work with any sharpening technique, and can really help one learn how to actually sharpen the edge.

I keep forgetting to suggest the sharpie system! :eek: It works like a charm! The only way I know how to make fully sure your getting the full edge treatment. It does help immensely when your reprofiling an edge as well, its fun to watch that black slowly disappear. :)

Interesting...I'll have to give that a shot. Thanks! Now to find a sharpie...

Back