Active Duty vs. Game Warden

DavidZ

Gold Member
The title says it all! Which one do you like better, and why? Some side by side comparison pictures would be appreciated as well.
Thanks

I'm definitely going to track down a Skeleton GW one day, but a BAD is higher on the list (although I've never had the chance to check out either blade myself in-hand). :grumpy:

I just really like everything I've seen or heard about that BAD!

I will use Ken44's pic that I have saved (cause it's one of the best pics ever)

IMG_3387.jpg

I have both Game Warden's and BAD/AD's and I carry a Skelly GW with me most of the time, mainly because it takes up little space. They are two different blades that do two different jobs.

Better still I would recommend Culties.

There are tons of threads on this very subject so I recommend searching through to see what you find. And if you want a true experts opinion, talk to Ken44 and he can educate you on the intricacies of all of the blades in his pic.:thumbup:

I will use Ken44's pic that I have saved (cause it's one of the best pics ever)

IMG_3387.jpg

That is a great picture to compare all! Top to bottom all with snakeskin- ABA LE, Meaner, Cultellus, AD, GW LE.

Last edited:
I love the feel of the Game Warden "in hand!" Maybe my mitt is just the right size, but it feels like the Warden was made for me. My pinkie finger rests very comfortably on the handle fastener hole toward the butt of the handle, and my middle finger rests on the middle fastener hole. Just magnificent :thumbup:

What is the knife at the top of the picture?
It looks like a real beauty!

Game Warden. If you're a choil-hater like me then that should be obvious, but beyond that, it has a couple of important features. The overall length is shorter but the cutting surface is almost the same. It's designed more for heavy cutting with its bigger belly and broader sweep.

If you want a knife for doing heavy cutting or skinning, get the warden. If you want a knife with a pointy tip for prying open oysters or gutting fish, get the duty.

Both come in a variety of thicknesses and, being INFI, are easy to customize if you wanted to change the features a bit.

Also consider the High Street. The AD and GW both have the goofy Busse mini-choil, that is way larger than a sharpening notch needs to be, and way too small to use.

While I despise choils on small knives, if they are gonna give you a choil, at least make it finger sized so it serves SOME sort of purpose other than aesthetics. The high street choil is large enough to choke up on it.

4125703376_5015e49554_o.jpg

Closest I have is an Off Duty - I like the proportions of the "duty" blades much better than the Game Wardens.

Second from the top is a meaner street - you can see the combat grade version (in BAMA CLAY!!!!) in my picture above - bottom knife in that one.

I like the look and feel of the AD handle and the blade. I had a Bad for a while, but was not enamored of the color combo I had (the red/black........looked too purple).

I still carry the GW daily. I have a largish 2xl glove size hand (most 2xl gloves are tight on my hand). I can still get a good grip on the GW handle. The AD gives that tiny extra handle.

Honestly, the Culty handle feels perfect too. You kind of have to hold it to appreciate it. The meaners feel the same in the hand as the AD's to me.

The thinner version of the GW really feels different in the hand than my .22 does. Thin infi is where it is at, and I really want some thinner versions of what I have right now.

Second from the top is a meaner street - you can see the combat grade version (in BAMA CLAY!!!!) in my picture above - bottom knife in that one.

Thanks, I'll keep my eye out for one of those next time the budget allows for it.

It's a BAIII.

Technically speaking it is an ABA LE.

That is one of my grail knives, been searching for a while for one but they are hard to come by. My only hope is that one day some gracious HOG will sell me his.:cool:

Active Duty all the way:thumbup:

I like the blade tip better than the Meaners and the GWs.

I always fall back on my original MS as well...I like the tip better.

I do carry a GW also but I just prefer the AD.

To me, the AD is a more useful blade shape and more comfortable handle than the GW for EDC tasks. The GW handle if a little short in large hands but it excels at precision cutting and the choil is smaller on the GW.
If for woods carry, I'd buy a Meaner over either one.

I took the pic below a short while ago for my own amusement and to see a good comparison, size wise, with some common folders. I think it shows that, in size and shape, it compares very favourably with a folder as an EDC fixed blade. Well, for my purposes anyway, yours may be different.

compare.jpg

I carry a Smog Warden day in and day out and have for a year now, its the first knive i have ever carried every day without changeing knives. I like the Smog Warden cause its one of the thin ones.

Back