Adjusting Back-Lock Tension

Bob Denman

That OTHER Guy...
Platinum Member
Hiu Guys!
So I've got this Delica 4; the back-lock is a real BEAR to actually unlock.
There's no (or very little) drag due to the screws holding it...
Is there any way to tinker with the spring or it's mounting: in order to lessen the effort required to get things to moving?

Only one suggestion, unfortunately: you can loosen the spring pivot a little. Sometimes that causes the lock to feel tight.

I'll give it another try...

Attachments

• Tanks A Bunch.jpg
    Tanks A Bunch.jpg
    239.5 KB · Views: 17
You can bend the lockbar. Obviously you will have to disassemble the knife and it may void the warranty

I'm good at bending stuff... and ignoring warranties!šŸ˜ƒ

You can bend the lockbar. Obviously you will have to disassemble the knife and it may void the warranty

You can not bend the lock bar.

But you can bend the spring under it to your satisfaction:

RDCOv4A.png

I'm looking at your pi ture, and a dangerous idea popped into my addled brain...
Is it possible to remove any of that "shelf" that holds the spring? If the end of it could be removed: that would change how stiff the spring feels.

I'm looking at your pi ture, and a dangerous idea popped into my addled brain...
Is it possible to remove any of that "shelf" that holds the spring? If the end of it could be removed: that would change how stiff the spring feels.

You probably could, but I think just bending the spring is way more easy/quick.

I'd suggest rather than modifying the spring (a lot can go wrong) I'd make sure that you are using the middle knuckle of your thumb to unlock it, you have excellent leverage in that position vs using the tip of your finger - that tip helped me a ton with backlock knives.

That's the largest part of the problem: no hand strength, and no feeling in my hands...
But this one Delica is just MUCH harder to unlock...

Spyderco Customer Service is actually my Plan B.
I'm stubborn, and like to try and like to try fiuxing things myself fuirst...

Hi Bob,

I would suggest contacting customer service. Charlynn will take care of you.

sal
Owner interaction with the customer base is just one of the several reasons why I own so many Spyderco knives. Thank you Sal for keeping in touch with us all these years.

Reactions: 353
Owner interaction with the customer base is just one of the several reasons why I own so many Spyderco knives. Thank you Sal for keeping in touch with us all these years.

Amen. That's why Spyderco is my #1 knife company. And they make awesome knives that I can't seem to stop buying...LOL

So you're saying that they're " just like potato chips"?

Assuming you don't want Spyderco to fix it, don't try to bend the spring or modify the spring slot. Instead, thin the spring where it bends, not where it goes in the slot. The spring force varies with the third power of the flat spring thickness. So if you want half the force, thin it to 80% of original. If you want 3/4 the force, thin it to 90% of original. For example, if the spring is 0.040" thick (not wide!) take off 0.004" for 10%. You can do this with a Dremel and calipers. The spring is too hard to thin with a file or stone. Grind slowly, if it discolors you've overheated it and damaged the heat treatment. Thin it uniformly except where it goes in the slot. No need to be super accurate.
Spyderco might not want to make the spring force low like this. It will be out of their specs.

Back