Advise from fellow Busse forumites on AR uppers.

Instead of the M4, unless you're going to register it as an SBR or use a permanent flash suppressor, I'd go with a BCM mid-length upper (it'll be the same length overall, but have a longer sight radius and a somewhat more reliable gas system). In particular, I'd get this one while it's still on sale, and decide on a rail system later: BCM BFH 16" Mid Length Upper Receiver Group In fact, I will be ordering one of those if they're still on sale after my credit card cycles.

Not really up to speed on the "best" or hottest brands, as mine is a "franken-gun" bought off a friend's table at a gun show for @$750 last October. Only thing I think I'd do differently next time, is go with a mid length barrel.

GregB

There are a few rifles such as the Sig 556, ACR and Robinson Armaments XCR that are based on the AR that so not use a buffer spring and tube and have folding stocks. Z-M Weapons makes a drop in upper that does not use a buffer tube and spring and would allow a folding stock to be used on an AR. There may be others out there but these are the ones that I know of.

True, but that is a different animal all together. I wouldn't consider a rifle with a piston system AND a lack of buffer tube/buffer/recoil spring to be an AR. If someone was building an M4 and asked for upper suggestions, you wouldn't mention the XCR. I'm just saying... Its an evolution, but at some point we're not talking about an AR/M-16/M4 anymore.

True, but that is a different animal all together. I wouldn't consider a rifle with a piston system AND a lack of buffer tube/buffer/recoil spring to be an AR. If someone was building an M4 and asked for upper suggestions, you wouldn't mention the XCR. I'm just saying... Its an evolution, but at some point we're not talking about an AR/M-16/M4 anymore.

That is why I pointed out that they are based on the AR but are not an AR. Also it wasn't meant to be a suggestion to the OPs question as it was so much providing information to support Bigfatty's statement. Personally I'm not a big fan of any the rifles I mentioned. To me they are excessively bulky and ruin the small profile and simplicity of the AR. I had a chance to handle a pistol variant of the Sig and found it to be excessively heavy for it's size. Granted I did not put it on a scale so my opinion is based on my observation.

I forgot to mention in my orginal post that I read somewhere that Sig was considering a variant of their 556 upper that would drop right onto an AR lower. Don't know if it is on the market yet.

Thank you for all the input fellas! I've got a good idea of what I'm going to do now :D I've been peeping that bravocompanyusa.com! Great link!

I'm not terribly interested in the piston ar's vs the di simply due to the di being standardized and the piston systems differing between all the different makers. I like the ability to mix and match everything if I so wanted on a di AR. The availability and interchangibility of parts is a HUGE selling point for me. From what I read there really aren't any problems with them so long as you do your maintenance just like any other gun out there ;)

If there were a standardized piston AR I'd definitely go for it but until then I like di. I AM a big piston fan. I love the M14 type rifles. I've got a LRB build in the works.

Thank you for all the input fellas! I've got a good idea of what I'm going to do now :D I've been peeping that bravocompanyusa.com! Great link!

I'm not terribly interested in the piston ar's vs the di simply due to the di being standardized and the piston systems differing between all the different makers. I like the ability to mix and match everything if I so wanted on a di AR. The availability and interchangibility of parts is a HUGE selling point for me. From what I read there really aren't any problems with them so long as you do your maintenance just like any other gun out there ;)

If there were a standardized piston AR I'd definitely go for it but until then I like di. I AM a big piston fan. I love the M14 type rifles. I've got a LRB build in the works.

LRB Great choice i think its about the best M1A being made at this time. :thumbup:

Great advice already. You might also consider a Les Baer upper. Some come with a .5 MOA guarantee. Don't have any personal experience with one, but the company does have a good reputation, although they are better known for their 1911's.

You could also do what some of the high power/service rifle shooters do and put together your own (or have one done for you). There are a number of top notch barrel makers and you could specify length, twist, etc.

Also, depending on how you intend to use the rifle, save some money for a good optic. Red dots for CQB are tough to beat. For slightly longer distances ACOG's are rugged, fast on the target and will get you out to about 3-400 yards. Beyond that your looking at a more traditional hunting/tactical scope.

LRB Great choice i think its about the best M1A being made at this time. :thumbup:

:D I agree, though when SEI comes out with their new recievers that honor might be going to them....though personally I'd be just as happy with either.

Great advice already. You might also consider a Les Baer upper. Some come with a .5 MOA guarantee. Don't have any personal experience with one, but the company does have a good reputation, although they are better known for their 1911's.

You could also do what some of the high power/service rifle shooters do and put together your own (or have one done for you). There are a number of top notch barrel makers and you could specify length, twist, etc.

Also, depending on how you intend to use the rifle, save some money for a good optic. Red dots for CQB are tough to beat. For slightly longer distances ACOG's are rugged, fast on the target and will get you out to about 3-400 yards. Beyond that your looking at a more traditional hunting/tactical scope.

I think I may be going with one of their varmit uppers, definitely on my short list. I've been eyeing those. I'm going with a 16'' LMT on the other though :D:thumbup: probably order at the end of the month.

I'm a big fan of Les Baer...my 1911 is a Thunder Ranch Special. LOVE that gun! LB definitely knows how to build a firearm :eek: the only pistol I'm more accurate with is my Ruger match .22 :p

I think I'll be going with the fixed front gas block sight and a folding Troy rear battle sight as backup and either an EOtech 512 or an Aimpoint comp M4. I love Aimpoint, I have a micro on my Ruger SR-22. I might mount that and see how I like it on the AR as well. I've got fixed Troys for the Ruger anyhow :eek:

I'll definitely have to weigh the ACOG option as well.

I'd imagine that a Les Baer upper would be the most accurate and a great varmint rifle. I'd also suggest you checkout the Geissele SSA instead of the Chip McCormick trigger. Guys have posted on ARFCOM that as it wears it doubles and triples. I'd definantely want a BCM, LMT (I have 2, one's the new piston) or Colt for my SHTF rifle.

Looks like you're well on the road to putting together two great rifles. I'm definitely jealous - even more so of your 1911. Would love to get a Les Baer or a Nighthawk, but I live in Massachusetts and believe it or not neither 1911 is on the "approved list" of guns that can be sold here. I know, it's unbelievably asinine. Don't get me started.

I'd imagine that a Les Baer upper would be the most accurate and a great varmint rifle. I'd also suggest you checkout the Geissele SSA instead of the Chip McCormick trigger. Guys have posted on ARFCOM that as it wears it doubles and triples. I'd definantely want a BCM, LMT (I have 2, one's the new piston) or Colt for my SHTF rifle.

Thank you for the advice, I just did a bunch of searching and it seems that might be the way to go. At least on my 16''. I really liked the pull on the CM and I want a lighter trigger than the Geissele advertises on the varmit gun but that one looks about right for running through a bunch of bulk packs on the other gun with :D

Looks like you're well on the road to putting together two great rifles. I'm definitely jealous - even more so of your 1911. Would love to get a Les Baer or a Nighthawk, but I live in Massachusetts and believe it or not neither 1911 is on the "approved list" of guns that can be sold here. I know, it's unbelievably asinine. Don't get me started.

THAT sucks man, Kali is bad enough. REALLY. Starting February we have to be thumprinted in order to buy pistol ammo (or rifle ammo that can be used in pistols). Some might not think this is a big deal, but it most certainly is if you enjoy spending 30 percent less in some cases and buying your ammo online :(

Can you get an Ed Brown there? If you could, I personally like the SF about as much as I like my Baer. It's finished more nicely and has the Gen III coating. The LB seems to feel a bit more solid and is slightly more accurate but apart from that, I'd be just as happy with either. I'll eventually get a Brown too. My two fav 1911's. I had a BLAST shooting a friends SF. It's the next pistol on my list. Not a big fan of Nighthawk, I shot one before and have handled a handful. For the money, I'd get a Wilson every time. The guys that broke off from Wilson to start Nighthawk have since gone on to other things. Or so I've been told. Don't really know much about them beyond that.

No Ed Brown either, although I've heard great things about them as well. Basically the only 1911 we can get is a Smith & Wesson SW1911 which I do own. It's not a bad gun, but I've been lusting after a nice semi-custom 1911 for years. Surprised you didn't like the Nighthawk. Living here in Mass. I've never even seen one (or a Les Baer, Ed Brown, or Wilson Combat for that matter) much less had a chance to put a few rounds downrange. But I have read a bunch of good things about them.

The laws here are crazy. Can't buy new HK's either, or about a dozen other quality handguns. Oh and the state version of the AWB is still in place.

But we can still purchase the 50 BMG, so its not all bad.:)

I opted for the LMT MRP piston, if wanted it's easy to convert back to DI, or other calibers. A bit over your price, but as the rail is part of the upper I've found it's very slim for a rail...I really like mine. Recoil pulse is also feels faster than the DI. I have other DI LMT's with no issues either...in the end I like the slim rails on the MRP, and ability to swap barrels if needed, but it is heavier then DI. Lots of good stuff to pick from, good luck.

I'll second the Spike's tactical reccomendation. I have a heavy barrel midlength upper that I love.

Back