Aizkolariak, Basque axemen competitions and bets, and more

Yes S Square_peg Segovians will have very hard to win the challenge.

I specially like axe/scythe combined bets. Physically are two very different and demanding works for the competitors, they are beautifull sports to see and nothing is decided even at the moment when each competitor ends his/her work.

Look at the next competition. I took part three years ago, it was the first time two women competed in an axe/scythe competition.

Neither of them swinged an axe before they agreed this challenge. They had one hour to complete each one's work, they had to cut 4 beech logs 32,2cm (12,7 inches) in diameter in a row and then cut as much grass as they could. The one who cut the biggest weight in grass won the bet.

Alazne Etxaburua (the girl in red) cut her logs in 19 minutes, 4 less than Alazne Etxaburua. But Alazne cut more grass in her parcel and she cut it better than Irati, Alazne won the challenge cutting 217Kg (478,4lbs) more than Irati. Both were happy with how did they perform.

sweeeet

a lack of competition elephants in the usa though :D

Hello again! Due to a quite painful but not so serious injury I'm inmovilised, so I have some free time and I decided to continue writting here. Let's see how long will it take.

sweeeet

a lack of competition elephants in the usa though :D

We have plenty of oxen here but neither elephants! But when locals saw one which the person who took care of it dared to compete oxens there wasn't anything more to discuss.

fe0087fd504059d4d31966beb7a5c8e4.jpg

Source

But let's continue were we left it talking about axemen. Do you remember the great axeman Ramon Latasa? I talk a bit about his life here.

studio_20180112_110326-jpg.827798

Every year mid August a competition is organized at Ramon's town to commemorate him. The best axemen use to take part on it.

164bb0fd587dbb9-a-nw-p.jpg
This and next photos were taken by Juan Carlos Irioyen

As usual you can also see stonelifters, sometimes there also are some peculiar events like the challenge between Maika Ariztegi and 88 years old Julian Larrea.

d401100db93962-a-nw-p.jpg

Best axemen compete in pairs, each couple has to cut 10 beech logs 40cm (15,75 in.) and 6 logs 44,3cm (17,55 in.) in diameter in a row. The couple in blue are the favorites but the two boys in white come tight, let's see how do they perform in this competition. Here you have the video, enjoy it!

http://www.eitb.tv/eu/bideoa/herri-...010001/135189/aizkolariak-ramon-latasa-saria/

13d3fea5cc42ef7-a-nw-p.jpg

Last edited:
Not a impressive competition, but an inusual one. In these 1920's photos you can see a competition in a square of a town, the inusual point in these photos other than the Basque clothes and the traditional Basque racing axes are the logs. It's not common to see axemen competitions were the logs have been cut by axe

61423_ca_object_representations_media_7391_mediumlarge.jpg
75920_ca_object_representations_media_7387_mediumlarge.jpg
Source

I haven't found any video about Donostia's festival 2017 axemen challenge, I like it a lot and it's a pity. But I have found some videos about Bilbao's festivals 2017

Mid August 2017 Bilbao, rural sports exibition. First at 00:30 you can see an Aussie way to compete, hard hit. Axemen have to cut a given log in as few swings as possible, then the usual modes

Another Bilbao's festivals day. This time only women compete at rural sport, axewomen start at 20:20

http://test.eitb.tv/eu/bideoa/herri...38010001/135214/aste-nagusia-2017--emakumeak/

Last edited:
Some months ago we talk about Xabier Orbegozo who broke a mark based in cutting 20 beech logs 40cm (15,75 in) in diameter and running 20 kilometers in a bullring. You can see it here.

That old mark which has taken modern axemen to break it a little more than three decades was done by Joxe Aierbe. He was a great runner and axeman, Joxe imposed his mark using the less efficient old Basque racing axes (someday I'll talk about it, it wasn't the pattern but other factors which made classic racing axes less efficient) and training with old timer training methods.

36681_ca_object_representations_media_98734_mediumlarge.jpg
Source

I think nowadays there isn't any axeman who can win Xabier in this type of competition, if you know someone please contact him and please try to convince him try to break the mark.

Xabier used more efficient tools and training and he broke the mark for 12 seconds. This can make we ask, who was that beast who made almost an unbreakable mark in this conditions?

Joxe aierbe born in Ataun, a little and rural town located in a deep woody valley of Gipuzkoa

20160219021038-guipuzcoa-ataun.jpg

He competed at running and woodchopping and he was good at both. As a runner he was one of the best here, as a woodchopper he was good too.

ayerbe-kRqD-U21318011136YGF-490x578@El%20Correo.jpg

As runner he competed in normal competitions and as both (runner and axeman) he competed in bets and challenges, recently I got some information about one of them. Let's talk about it.

Trinitate plaza Donostia 27th January 1974.

Someone challenged Joxe Aierbe to cut a log 3 meters and 80 centimeters of perimeter in less than two hours.

received_1914820758537654-jpeg.917514

Source

They bet good money and agreed to cut that log in a square of our provincial capital which has seen good axemen challenges.

FB_IMG_1526890593374.jpg

He performed this work using classical Basque racing axes, clearly more efficient than working axes but not as efficient as the axes which would come from Australia few years later.

FB_IMG_1526890603526.jpg

Ramon Latasa helpt him, good choice Joxe.

FB_IMG_1526890612206.jpg
received_1914820881870975-jpeg.917515

He cut the log in one hour 35 minutes and 36 seconds, winning the challenge in a clear and fast way. Well done Joxe!

received_1914820941870969-jpeg.917516

Last edited:
Let's continue talking about actual axemen.

October 29th 2017, Azkoitia. The final of the 2nd division Basque axemen.

IMG_2904.jpg

The winner and the second one will enter the first division. To achieve this they will have to cut six beech logs in a row, two logs 40cm (15,75 in), two 44,3cm (17,44 in) and two 53,1cm (20,9 in) in diameter.

Note Xabier Zaldua the axeman in the left in the video. In few weeks he will compete vs Xabier Orbegozo woodchopping and running.

Here you have the video, enjoy it!

http://test.eitb.tv/eu/bideoa/herri...-2--maila--euskal-herriko-txapelketa--finala/

I use to talk too few about the best Basque axeman of the last years Aitzol Atutxa. Here you have him last year when he won his fourth consecutive competition

jarraia146197.jpg

Source

He is the boss, an artist with the axe, a pleasure to see woodchopping and regarding to what the people says a great human, I haven't had the opportunity to talk to him yet. I'll try to fix it and talk more about Aitzol.

Donostia October 15th 2017. I have only found little online information about the most highly regarded Basque axemen championship. It's a pity but a common thing. The best of the best reached the final

FB_IMG_1526906488234.jpg
Source of this and next photos

The work to be done was to cut double of the logs 2nd division axemen cut at their final. Four logs 40cm (15,75 in), four 44,3cm (17,44 in) and four 53,1cm (20,9 in) in diameter, 12 logs in a row.

FB_IMG_1526907020579.jpg

They worked hard and the competition was tight, Aitzol Atutxa won it cutting his logs in 40 minutes and 53 seconds. Well done Aitzol!

FB_IMG_1526907095152.jpg

Iker Vicente was second, it took him 18 seconds more to cut his logs. Quite close but not enough. Third was Mikel Larrañaga, it took him 2 minutes and 57 seconds more than Aitzol to cut his logs.

After looking for a while I found a little video of this event, here you have it,

Last edited:
After ending the Basque championship in second place Iker Vicente focused in a more known competition you probably have seen even in your local TV, Timbersports world Championship in Lillehamer.

image.aspx

Basque and Timbersport woodchopping are very different and Iker had little more than two weeks between both competitions. Tough work to train to give your best in both.

Before leaving to Norway the Canadian Timbersports team came here to learn about local axemanship.

_AJOSECARLOSCORDO24615938_a64efff9.jpg

_AJOSECARLOSCORDO24615944_39f0a6f6.jpg

Source of these and next images

They performed a little Timbersports exibition at the city of Iruña. Here you have the video.

Some interesting comments are made through the video, some of them in Euskera (Basque language), most of them in Spanish. I'll translate you some of them.

Daniel Vicente, Iker's father,
"Iker is making giant steps. He has achieved big goals (refering to the Basque final), he is getting better"

Gerry Rozo manager of the Canadian Timbersports team,

"It's impressive! We like a lot to see him.
Timbersports axe work uses to last 17 seconds while Iker Vicente is a person who can cut wood for 30, 40 or 60 minutes in a Basque competition. We don't understand how can they do it at such a high level."

Iker Vicente,
"We know Australia, Canada, USA and New Zealand are untouchable (he is refering to Timbersports), they work in another level. So we'll go to compete vs other European nations and we'll try to get the best positions between them. We know they compete hard but we'll give our best and we'll try to be the first European, difficult task. The third position will not be bad too.
My father is very happy. He has competed all his life and he knows how hard is this sport, how many work you have to do and the high amount of money you have to invest. But he sees how good are we doing so he is very happy.
My goal and dream of all my life has been and is to win the Basque championship. That's the highest aspiration we work for. This year it was close, next year we'll try to be there too and in near future to win it."

Spanish team was a mix of Basque and Segovian axemen

_AJOSECARLOSCORDO24615951_09b1454b.jpg

They ended 9th place internationally, 5th between Europeans.

IMG_9548.jpg

Last edited:
Here you have the entire Lillehammer final if you want to see it.

Note the difference in media coverage between the highest Basque axemen championship (I couldn't find any video about it) and this great scenario to show axemanship to the world. I'm glad about them but I find it sad for Basques.

Last edited:
Hey, I wish you'd get well soon. OTOH, you wouldn't post that much once that happened, so I'm torn :D.

I'll keep an eye open for your future (?) post about the racing axes.

Thank you (?) M Moonw !

Thank you for the article too! I learnt about it time ago and it allways comes well to refresh it. If I talk to anyone related to investigators I use to suggest to investigate more deeply any relationship with Caucasus. It may only be a very big coincidence but in the language analisys no language is statistically close enough to say Euskera and the given language are related. But between all non statistically relevant languages the most related ones are the Caucasian, just the other place in the world were centuries ago another Iberia was located.

Nevertheless here we talk about another mistery related with Euskera too. For some people this mistery is even more intriguing than the origin of our language, I'm talking about the perduration of our language. After so long history, so many relationship with other cultures and after living with other languages which have disappeared, our language is still alive. I think a little higher percentage of stubbornness resides in our genes if we compare them to the common human genes.

Let's continue with axes. I found a little video of the Basque axemen championship 2017. I'll insert it in the post.

Azkoitia November 12st 2017. 7th knockout Golden Axe single cup.

26 year old 1,89 meters and 90Kg Julen Alberdi "Txikia 4th" (it means the small one 4th)

IMG_0507_content.jpg

Source

vs 26 years old 1,85 meters and 85Kg Ruben Saralegi

import_15432923_11.jpg

Source

12 beech logs to cut in a row, the fastest one will go to the next event. Stonelifting competition first, axemen start at more or less at minute 14. Enjoy it!

http://test.eitb.tv/eu/bideoa/herri...a--banakako-kopa--ruben-saralegi-/-txikia-iv/

Last edited:
Ugane, a neighbourhood of Tolosa, 16th September 2017

This is one between many of those local events which I like so much and use to pass unnoticed most of the times. I like this one even more because it shows the original spirit of Basque challenges and it has been born, organized and done by youngsters, the future.

Xabi and Jon Luzuriaga from Ugane (the ones in blue) challenged to Uxer Mozo and Mattin Jauregi from a close town named Ikaztegieta (the ones in red) to a competition consisting in running 12 kilometers, lifting a round stone which weights 50Kg (110lbs) 12 times and cutting a beech log 40cm in diameter (15,75in) two times. These are the young competing men

IMG_0944.JPG

They bet each other the most common thing which has been bet in this type of challenges through all the history, a dinner. In this case a dinner for eight people. Usually competitors have that dinner with each other. This time they bet a dinner for eight. They competed in the festival of the neighbourhood so I think they went to have dinner all together with their friends.

First part of the challenge, running 12 kilometers

IMG_0610.JPG

IMG_0638.JPG

IMG_0603.JPG

Second part, lifting a 50Kg stone 12 times

IMG_0667.JPG

IMG_0682.JPG

IMG_0691.JPG

IMG_0686.JPG

Third part woodchopping

IMG_0748.JPG

IMG_0805.JPG

IMG_0910.JPG

The competition was tight, locals won the challenge cutting their last log four swings faster than the contenders.

IMG_0951.JPG

Good for all of them! Holaxe jarrai zazue!

Source of the information and images

Last edited:
Zizurkil November 19st 2017. 8th knockout Golden Axe single cup.

34 years old 1,85 meters and 93Kg Joseba Otaegi

img_lunciti_20171011-152910_imagenes_md_propias_lunciti_20171011ma-10-k9NH-U432006164114kS-980x554@MundoDeportivo-Web.jpg

vs. 35 years old 1,85 meters and 100Kg Jon Irazu

13487.jpg

12 beech logs to cut in a row, the fastest one will go to the next event. As usual stonelifting competition first, axemen start at more or less at minute 07:20. Enjoy it!

http://test.eitb.tv/eu/bideoa/herri...26708/aizkora--banakako-kopa--otaegi-/-irazu/

Some photos of the competition

IMG_1054.JPG

IMG_1220.JPG

IMG_1348.JPG

IMG_1366.JPG

Dual wieldind!

IMG_1400.JPG

IMG_1353.JPG

Source

Last edited:
Past weekend competition/exibiton at Izaskun's festival. They organize this type of exibition every year, I think this is the first video I have ever seen about it.

Contenders are the stonelifter Idoia Etxeberria

Cg8qu3GWkAANAAe.jpg

The axeman Xabier Orbegozo

IMG_8369.jpg

And the alpinist/axeman and much more things Alex Txikon

120244634--624x447.jpg

Urrestilla November 21st 2017. Golden Axe single cup quarter final

29 years old 1,87 meters and 100Kg Mikel larrañaga

MIKEL_LARRAÑAGA_AIZKOLARIA.jpg

vs 33 years old 1,83 meters and 8tKg Jon rekondo

Aizkolaria_gasteizko_jaietan.jpg

12 beech logs to cut in a row, the fastest one will go to the next event. As usual stonelifting competition first, axemen start at more or less at minute 9.

Plenty of branches and a nail in Mikel's 5th log. Enjoy it!

http://test.eitb.tv/eu/bideoa/herri.../aizkora--banakako-kopa--larranaga-/-rekondo/

Last edited:
Xabier Zalduas's first bet has arrived. Remember at the end of July he challenged to any axeman to a bet consisting in cutting logs and running in a bullring. I talked a bit about them some messages ago, here I'll go a bit deeper.

I don't know Zaldua he did it by purpose but challenging any axeman to a competition consisting in the exactly same works as Xabier Orbegozo (Arria 5th) marked a new record three months earlier is to be very brave or a nosense. Maybe Zaldua wanted a revenge for the bet he lost vs Arria 5th in 2013. In that case they cut 20 logs and ran 8 kilometers.

In this challenge Zaldua starts with advantage, one of his conditions was he and only he would provide the logs. Two axemen appeared, Xabier Orbegozo (Arria 5th) and Josean Etxeberria. They agreed first to compete vs Arria 5th and then vs Etxeberria. Let's talk about the first of them.

Azpeitia December 3rd 2017. Combined challenge between Xabier Orbegozo and Xabier Zaldua.

fb_img_1514590369002-jpg.820683

This challenge consisted in cutting 10 beech logs 40cm in diameter (15,75in.) and running 10 kilometers in the bullring, 100 laps. Note some points. The soil of the bullring is sand, running in it is harder than running in a hard soil. They have to run in circles this is harder too, one part of their body will work more than the other, due to these two factors passing the runner you have in front of you is more difficult than in normal situations. For this challenge they bet each one 4000€

40 years old 1,90 meters and 87Kg Xabier Orbegozo "Arria 5th"

IMG_8369.jpg

39 years old 1,84 meters and 80Kg Xabier Zaldua

Xabier_Zaldua2-680x365.jpg

It was a cold damp day of 3 degrees Celsius. There was not any fauvorite, Arria was a beast but Zaldua negotiated well and he had some factos in his favour. Like the shorter work to be done and the logs he would provide.

Xabier started hard, at the third lod he took half log advantage. It look like he wanted o end first due to the rumors about the good running preparation of Zaldua

38090238694_abaa2b8b23_b.jpg

Source of this and next images

Arria broke an axe in his knot and lost more or less half a minute.

38090238784_9e709a3cc5_b.jpg

Zaldua endured but when Arria ended his logs Zaldua still had an entire log to cut. When Zaldua ended his logs Arria had an advantage of 5 and a half laps, that's a very big advantage.

38090238464_91b8e59997_b.jpg

Zaldua ended his work 2 and a half minutes later than Arria. He pressed running, here you have him passing to Arria.

23941640297_8d81310034_b.jpg

But Arria demonstrated how a big athlete is he and ended the challenge 1 minute 13 seconds earlier than Zaldua.

24933842838_221c48f32b_b.jpg

Here you have a video of the challenge

If you want to see it in lower quality but more detailed look at the next video.

http://test.eitb.tv/eu/bideoa/herri...-+-korrika-saioa--arria-v-/-zaldua--desafioa/

Last edited:
Back