"Alabama Damascus" blades?

Hi all,

I thought it would be fun to do a cord-wrapped handle with resin curing/impregnation project since I've never done a cord-wrap before. I wanted to follow one of the several excellent cord wrapping tutorials here on BF, an I wanted to go with a damascus blade. So, I was about to contact some makers to talk about the design, but then I found this site. After some research, it looks like people speak highly of the steel. But has anyone ever bought and used one of their ready-to-go blades?

On their website, they say they've already precision-ground, laser-cut, hollow-ground, heat-treated to 58-60 Rc, and etched the blades. All I would need to do is give it a final edge and some handles. At those prices, this is definitely looking very attractive for the project I've got in mind.

Anyone who's had one, what do you think about it? Here's the one I'm thinking about for my project: http://www.alabamadamascussteel.com/servlet/Detail?no=31

a20792a1316c5c4d65b7ba_m.JPG

Thanks,

mag

From what I've read and heard, they are first class blanks.

Can't wait to see the final product.

I've bought several pieces of their damascus steel. Occasionally, you'll find a little welding flaw, but the pieces I got were big enough to work around them. Plus, it's priced right, too. I imagine on their actual finished blade blanks, you'll not find the flaws, though.

It definitely has a great look to it. I bought one from Ebay once a guy in India making damascus who has seemingly quit doing it.. Was pretty nice, but that is nicer.

Ive used that same blank before.They are good.Go for it.

Thanks for the reply. In your experience, does it really only need a final edge and some handles? What did you think about the finish and the heat treat?

- Mag

Yea,they are gtg.That edge looks a bit thick.I would probably reprofile it a bit.The blades are hard.I honestly never put them to any test.I did them for customers and never got any neg feedback with Brads blades.I buy quite a bit of his steel now and find it to be excellent for the price.As said previously,you may find a void here and there,but ive never seen any delamination or major problems.

Hi all,

I thought it would be fun to do a cord-wrapped handle with resin curing/impregnation project since I've never done a cord-wrap before. I wanted to follow one of the several excellent cord wrapping tutorials here on BF, an I wanted to go with a damascus blade. So, I was about to contact some makers to talk about the design, but then I found this site. After some research, it looks like people speak highly of the steel. But has anyone ever bought and used one of their ready-to-go blades?

On their website, they say they've already precision-ground, laser-cut, hollow-ground, heat-treated to 58-60 Rc, and etched the blades. All I would need to do is give it a final edge and some handles. At those prices, this is definitely looking very attractive for the project I've got in mind.

Anyone who's had one, what do you think about it? Here's the one I'm thinking about for my project: http://www.alabamadamascussteel.com/servlet/Detail?no=31

a20792a1316c5c4d65b7ba_m.JPG

Thanks,

mag

Thank you so much for bringing this up. Looks like it's a nice place to buy some good priced fancy steels.:thumbup:

yes, as far as I know you always need to etch damascus, without etching you can just barely see the pattern if you turn it in the light. I etch in 4:1 water to ferric chloride

Steel we grind from billets need to be etched.If you buy finished blades from Brad,they dont.
IMG_2050.jpg

I've used em several times. The blade blanks do not need to be etched. However they are ground to say only 320 or 400 grit it seems. My customers seem to have liked that as it gives the blade with their random damascus a very "organic" look. If you were wanting it to be more refined I would suggest hand sanding to a finer grit and then re etching. The heat treat is good and these blades will cut. Some damascus you can buff lightly this you can not. Knowing this I once buffed one of there blades intentionally for a customer that was looking for a more subtle damascus look. He was very pleased. Except for sharpening normally pretty much just leave the blade alone. ALSO they are great people to deal with! For your application you'll have a tough time coming up with a better blank.

yes, as far as I know you always need to etch damascus, without etching you can just barely see the pattern if you turn it in the light. I etch in 4:1 water to ferric chloride

Thanks much coolhandluke4. Do you happen to know if they would accomodate special sizez?

I am a big fan of Alabama damascus the finished product just has that old school damascus look to it plus they are priced right

quick newbie question. is damascus ok to actually use or is it more of a showpiece type deal. never owned one before and i really like those just sorry for the stupid question thanks

Yep it can be a user. Alabama damascus is heat treated (by them) in the 58 RC range. It'll cut just fine for ya. Oil it occasionally as they are high carbon steels and will rustif not properly taken care of.

Back