Albers Cutlery Company

If you can’t get it, you don’t need it. Simple as that. The knife game isn’t fun anymore. It used to be and use to bring me great joy.
Im tending to agree. If you score you score. I dont lose sleep over it. Historically, I've rarely been successful on drops and refuse to pay marked up secondary prices. Thus, I've basically given up on certain brands like GEC. Too many dealers that get product in dribs and drabs that sell out in nano seconds with prices all over the place. . Stressing out and chasing after their drops isn't fun anymore. And hobbies are supposed to be fun. Even the newer Cooper company products are not fun to chase. They seem to be following the GEC business model. I'm currently focusing more on older Schatt & Morgan's, Case and Sheffield made Barlows.

I didn’t even try.

I’m lucky enough to have one from the exchange but can’t compete with speedy clickers lol.

I tried to get one but they were all gone at the One Minute mark and I just had to laugh . Congrats to all who were able to get one . They were very nice looking knives .

Harry

Lot of enthusiasm for this latest and fleeting release here :cool:

But what do they look like? Can somebody post up a picture of these elusive Springboks and Tasmanian (Devil) Blackwood ?? I realize it might be difficult...as we've all been so irresponsible with out attachment quotas...but as long as we stay suitably humble ra! ra! :rolleyes: o_O

Lot of enthusiasm for this latest and fleeting release here :cool:

But what do they look like? Can somebody post up a picture of these elusive Springboks and Tasmanian (Devil) Blackwood ?? I realize it might be difficult...as we've all been so irresponsible with out attachment quotas...but as long as we stay suitably humble ra! ra! :rolleyes: o_O
These are straight from the website, Will.

boVqxPG.jpg

5ejgQOo.jpg

I see I’m in the minority but for me there is some joy in the chase. The knives that took me the longest to come by tend to mean more to me than ones had by instant gratification.
There's a difference between foraging through antique shops for months or years and clicking a button like a hyperactive hamster all hopped up on speed. For me, anyway, and I think that's what folks are complaining about

If through perseverance and patience I manage to find a grail at a great price, or at all, then yes - I may feel joy in a successful chase.

If I obtain the same knife through furious click-click-clicking and the acquisition comes down to the speed of my internet connection and trampling my fellow knife lovers like a virtual Black Friday mob desperate for a slightly discounted Walmart flatscreen - then I don't feel as joyful about it.

"Hey Timmy! 'member when I durn clicked that there button faster than all o' them other boys that was a'clicking theys a'buttons? Boy, thems was good times!!" you will never catch me saying. 🤷

At the end of the day, anything only has the meaning that we give it. Without a human to determine value; a gold bar, a diamond, a dog turd, and a double reuben on rye are all worth exactly the same - nothing at all. Ever since I realized that I'm the one giving things meaning, I've been a little more careful about who and what I assign meaning to and what meaning that is.

P.S. - I've got two Albers lambs, am satisfied with them, and have a bit of an ongoing financial crisis - so I've sat the last few drops out. For those struggling to get one, it was patience and perseverance that paid off in the end. I've been where y'all are and almost gave up after striking out three of four times in a row - the time after that, I got a snakewood. The time after that, desert ironwood. Now, I just kick my feet up, give my clicking finger a rest, and watch the show. 🤣

There's a difference between foraging through antique shops for months or years and clicking a button like a hyperactive hamster all hopped up on speed. For me, anyway, and I think that's what folks are complaining about

If through perseverance and patience I manage to find a grail at a great price, or at all, then yes - I may feel joy in a successful chase.

If I obtain the same knife through furious click-click-clicking and the acquisition comes down to the speed of my internet connection and trampling my fellow knife lovers like a virtual Black Friday mob desperate for a slightly discounted Walmart flatscreen - then I don't feel as joyful about it.

"Hey Timmy! 'member when I durn clicked that there button faster than all o' them other boys that was a'clicking theys a'buttons? Boy, thems was good times!!" you will never catch me saying. 🤷

At the end of the day, anything only has the meaning that we give it. Without a human to determine value; a gold bar, a diamond, a dog turd, and a double reuben on rye are all worth exactly the same - nothing at all. Ever since I realized that I'm the one giving things meaning, I've been a little more careful about who and what I assign meaning to and what meaning that is.

P.S. - I've got two Albers lambs, am satisfied with them, and have a bit of an ongoing financial crisis - so I've sat the last few drops out. For those struggling to get one, it was patience and perseverance that paid off in the end. I've been where y'all are and almost gave up after striking out three of four times in a row - the time after that, I got a snakewood. The time after that, desert ironwood. Now, I just kick my feet up, give my clicking finger a rest, and watch the show. 🤣

I get what you are saying.

Some mean something to me,non of them that do where from clicking on a computer tab.

First forum knife and Barlow…Sent to me by Charlie From Canada.

Bunny knife sent to me by our Australian friend from the other side of the world.

Sudbuster offered to and sent to me by mr SF.

Not to mention those that where gifted to me,they all have a meaning to me.

Thanks to you all. ❤️

I’ve tried on the last several drops and struck out every time. I do have two that I obtained on trades. I traded for them with knives we both wanted. We were both happy with the trade. I did get four clips on drops which were before Eric started sending out notifications. On one of those I was able to use PayPal to purchase one and still had time and get the other one offered. Looks like those times are long gone.

That makes sense and I don't disagree, but when I miss out on a drop (boy, I REALLY wanted that springbok...) I tend to feel humbled rather than cheated. I guess that's what I mean. There is a great deal of wanting and these are expensive hobbies, but I'd hate to complain and make other collectors feel guilty or the maker feel as though he left me hanging.

As reductive as it might sound, there is a thrill in the "clicking" for me too. I work long hours and don't attend many shows, and I am too slow far more often than not, so when I hit one it's a little bit like that feeling you get when a big bass smacks your lure.

I don't think I would announce (particularly on a maker's thread) if I was NOT having fun trying to obtain his knives, but I think the truth is that I am, even when I come up short. 🤷‍♂️

Back