• The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them. Stop using Paypal Friends & Family and follow our best practices to prevent getting ripped off or having a bad deal.

All New Stainless Steel file guides

I have made several W1 file guides with the help of my apprentices. They work great but can rust inside the pin and bolt holes if not maintained frequently or if you live near salt water. To help with the corrosion issue we started installing stainless bolts and pins but still experienced a few problems especially if the maker dunked the file guide to cool it when grinding.

We switched to an all stainless steel file guide a month or so ago and have experienced slow production. I must apologize for slow delivery due to broken threading taps and worn out mill ends.

Finally we have the solution. I am now working with a small machine shop that wrote a CNC program for his milling machine. We have completely switched over to 5/8" square bar stock in 304 stainless steel. Along with stainless allen head countersunk screws and stainless pins too.
And the best news is the price remains the same.

I'll try to get a picture of the new prototype today so come back and have a look.

Due to customer requests we are mostly selling the guides that are capable of grinding a full size chef knife with a 3" opening between the bolts. The smaller 2" opening guides are still available for the same price of $120 delivered.

Hey Bruce, would love to see a photo. I've got one of the earlier carbon guides with stainless pins and screws, but due to my very humid shop, I've had to go at it a million times with #0000 and boeshield. The only other detractor was that the carbide didn't quite hit the inside edge of the guides, which left a gap when trying to align with a scribe line making it difficult. The recent pics I saw, seemed to indicate that this was no longer the case.

Anyway, I'll be ordering 1 or 2 more, pending pics. ;)

Glad to see you shifting into full production with a continued excellent price. Thanks again!

Hey Bruce, would love to see a photo. I've got one of the earlier carbon guides with stainless pins and screws, but due to my very humid shop, I've had to go at it a million times with #0000 and boeshield. The only other detractor was that the carbide didn't quite hit the inside edge of the guides, which left a gap when trying to align with a scribe line making it difficult. The recent pics I saw, seemed to indicate that this was no longer the case.

Anyway, I'll be ordering 1 or 2 more, pending pics. ;)

Glad to see you shifting into full production with a continued excellent price. Thanks again!

I think with most all production the early ones work good but with feedback and more experience the later "improved" models are better. These new ones are going to me very high quality. Thanks for the kind words.

Pictures are coming soon.

I got one of the stainless ones a couple of months ago. Great tool, well worth the price. Two thumbs up from me!!

I concur with Cody. This is an excellent file guide. High quality workmanship and well worth the price. I plan to order another rin the future.

Sounds good. What is the projected delivery time on the ones already ordered and paid for?

Sounds good. What is the projected delivery time on the ones already ordered and paid for?

Now that the wedding is over it wont be much longer. There is a reason nobody is offering stainless steel file guides. The size required isnt offered at affordable prices on-line and shipping is murder. I found a good local place to get 304 stainless in 5/8" square in 12 foot sections and free delivery. This alone allows them to stay at original prices. Stainless is sticky to drill, tap, ream and mill. We ruined drill bits and broke several taps off in them and finally decided to just out-source the machine work to a CNC to step up delivery time on the last half dozen orders and should be able to build up some inventory for immediate delivery.

I'm sorry to anybody who hasnt recieved one yet if you've paid. If you want to private message me please do but Benton is finishing up the last of the manual machined ones as we speak. We are waiting for more bolts and pins but they should be here tomorrow. Like I say the wedding is over and Benton is clear headed again.

300 series stainless gummy? Nahhhhhh!!!! :D
Now that the wedding is over it wont be much longer. There is a reason nobody is offering stainless steel file guides. The size required isnt offered at affordable prices on-line and shipping is murder. I found a good local place to get 304 stainless in 5/8" square in 12 foot sections and free delivery. This alone allows them to stay at original prices. Stainless is sticky to drill, tap, ream and mill. We ruined drill bits and broke several taps off in them and finally decided to just out-source the machine work to a CNC to step up delivery time on the last half dozen orders and should be able to build up some inventory for immediate delivery.

I'm sorry to anybody who hasnt recieved one yet if you've paid. If you want to private message me please do but Benton is finishing up the last of the manual machined ones as we speak. We are waiting for more bolts and pins but they should be here tomorrow. Like I say the wedding is over and Benton is clear headed again.

I think with most all production the early ones work good but with feedback and more experience the later "improved" models are better. These new ones are going to me very high quality. Thanks for the kind words.

Pictures are coming soon.

Yes sir, the refinements are making these look pretty much perfect! I'll be sending Krista an email.

These have carbide inserts for plunge cuts? I will order one as well at tax time. Sounds like a quality tool

good stuff right here and im sure all the tweeks will make them better and likly easyer to make due to the CNC work (less surface grinder time)

good stuff right here and im sure all the tweeks will make them better and likly easyer to make due to the CNC work (less surface grinder time)

The savings of all the aggravation justifies the CNC expense and shipping. I sent out 3 of the small Priority boxes today and they were just over 10 pounds each. The postal lady had one arm in a cast and had to get help to move them. I like the "If it fits, it ships" otherwise each box would have been $18

Back