All time favorite movie

ron finkbeiner jr

Gold Member
I'm sure it's been done before but let's hear it! What is your "goto movie" when's there's nothing else on? Shawshank Redemption is mine!

Old school horror and sci-fi here, especially silent.
But if I had one film that I could watch any time I'd have to go with Metropolis.
Pretty sure that's not going to be a popular choice around these parts though.

Gojira.

But any old school horror and scifi type stuff. 20's through 50's is my favorite, the atmosphere and effects cant be beat. 60's thru 80's are also fantastic, just slightly less so.

Old school horror and sci-fi here, especially silent.
But if I had one film that I could watch any time I'd have to go with Metropolis.
Pretty sure that's not going to be a popular choice around these parts though.
Meant to quote this, but good taste. Ive got the blu ray of Metropolis, one of the last big films from the 20's i need to watch, just need to set aside the time.

giphy.gif

Le Bal (1983)

Le-bal-poster.jpg

There is no dialog but it is not a silent movie, and it got an Oscar nomination for Best Foreign Language Film! The actors traverse fifty years in a bal musette, a working class French dance hall. They start in 1983, the end of the disco era, then go back to 1933, and then through the Popular Front, World War, Occupation, Liberation, Americanization, the Algerian War, the 1968 student uprising, and back to Disco! They never age — but sometimes they do. It's one of a kind and truly great, but you need a modicum of disco toleration.

All the trailers. Enjoy!

Nope, all the trailers are gone! Well, this is still on YouTube.

This is the Occupation. The women won't dance with a German but the collaborator will.

Last edited:
"Rear Window." The most beautiful actress I ever saw, looking her loveliest.

Really, almost anything by Hitchcock. After Rear Window, in order . . . Vertigo, North by Northwest, Dial M for Murder, Spellbound, The Man Who Knew Too Much (1956), Notorious, Marnie, The Lady Vanishes, To Catch a Thief, Rebecca, Rope, Psycho, The 39 Steps, Suspicion, The Wrong Man, The Man Who Knew Too Much (1934), Sabateur, Shadow of a Doubt. Not a huge fan of the rest.

smokey and the bandit, I loved this movie so much I had to go out and buy a trans am just like Burts ! best car I ever owned, but the gas was killing me..... but I understand it now a collectors car/piece ! really sorry I had to sell it, mis to this day😪.
400 V8! But I believe it only put out less than 200 HP 🤯 thanks to restrictions put in after the '73 oil embargo 👎.

This is hard to answer, if we’re allowed to name only one movie. I like many genres. So I’ll cheat and mention my favorites from each genre I like:

Western: The Good, The Bad & The Ugly (1966).

Crime/gangster: Goodfellas (1990).

Animated/anime: Your Name (Kimi no Na wa, 2016).

Martial arts: Shaolin Martial Arts (1974).

Sci-fi: Aliens (1986).

Horror: Suspiria (1977).

Comedy: Top Secret (1984).

Edit to add:

Musical: Saturday Night Fever (1977).

Jim

Last edited:
Back