ALONE returning on Dec 8!

In that case the bow should have been strung all the time. Kinda funny how you get into the habit of un stringing and just do it. The bow would be fine strung for a long time and ready for any opportunity at game. Would be perfect for the geese or ducks. Wish he got a pig.

far better to use one of Chief AJ's slingshots, modified to use the 6 arrows. baked clayballs fly a lot straighter than stones, for shots not worthy of an arrow. Take 2-3 broadheads and 3=4 fishing arrows, each with four 4" long spring wire splines. Once you are dropped off, convert each spline into 2-3 fishhooks. With that many springpole and float sets, you'll have flesh food daily. you can always make fishing heads out of bones or fire hardened wood. Taking the duct tape lets you easily fletch a lot more arrows that you make in the field. It lets you quickly add wooden foreshafts and endshafts to reeds, too. the tape lets you repair gear and clothing, make containers out of the tarp they give you, and so on. A slingbow is a lot easier to always have at hand than any bow. Wet, cold areas ruin a wooden bow really fast. ]]

Heres the gear list.
http://www.history.com/shows/alone/articles/gear-list

here's chief's slingbow. He took a grizzly and a moose with his.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PJBdnww5nwI

here's fast draw with slingshot.
https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=fast+draw+with+slingshot

this show is carefully set up to not last more than 3 months, cause it gets too boring and expensive if it does. Somebody who really understands all this picked the locations, gear, rules.

Bringing up clay balls. i don't see many looking for clay to create pottery. it's usually found in river beds, but can it be found in areas with lakes?

it would be interesting to see the big guns go at it. Les, Cody, Ray...see how they make out.

they were probably amongst the first to be asked to try it, and knew that the results would just hurt their reps!

Unlikely that they would be finding clay that high up, downstream on the mountains would be far more likely. I know people who have done pottery with naturally harvested clay, and its intensive and wet work, in those conditions you'd loose far more calories to heat than you'd gain from hunting. Better off to always be looking for smooth stones, and trying to get close to game.

As for the "pros" being asked to do it, I don't think that would have been part of what the producers of the show wanted. Les has said that the survivor man shows took a toll on his body, even though they were only a week at a time, his nutrition and dehydration were hard on him. As for Cody and Ray, even Bear or Dave, I don't really think the show in its competitive nature is really their style of doing things. For most of these guys it is about what they can either learn or teach, so what would be to gain? Not to harsh on the thought experiment, but what would they have to prove? That any accident that can take out a regular human can take them out as well? Sure a "failure" would be a damage to their brand, which they have to think about to maintain a living. And why risk that when the scorecard is in someone else's hand? All negative with no positive for them to try it.

Tough luck for Dave, but I don't think it would have mattered if he'd left the bow strung. If he couldn't string it, he wouldn't have been able to effectively pull it. I think they made the right call to pull him out, based on his responses, he wasn't thinking clearly anymore. Even though they showed him talking about eating more of the fish, he left it too late. With a BP that low, and that percentage of his weight gone, he was in a very bad way. Props to him for going as long as he did, and showing what is possible. Deciding how much effort to spend on each method of getting food is really the crux of it. Its largely down to luck, and tapping into a resource that works for you. I'd honestly spend too much time actively fishing, because that's my mindset, I fish, and neglect other things.

I spent 100's of hours as a kid, hunting for good slingshot rocks, and stalking stuff, and the whole idea is a joke. Stones don't fly straight. If you take the duct tape, you can swiftly and easily make lots of arrows. Since they seem to have a sea-shore, they should have access to clay. the luck part would be in where they dropped you off. if your 5 mile radius doesn't have enough resources, you're done before you ever get going.

Good finish! Wondering who would have won if there was no intervention. Should be a penalty paid by the producers for pulling a contestant. Don't want to spoil the ending but good work to the winner. Liked the reunion episode as well.

yep. Best season so far.

Feel bad for the contestants that got puled out due to weight loss. But it shows how competitive it got.

Wonder what Fowler's BMI was.

Anyone else feels like the other contestant deserved a second chance? She seemed in control and not overly starved like Dave....and only 0.2 below 17 BMI...

Last edited:
I think it was well earned, but there is no denying that it was close, a couple more days and they both would have been pulled I think. The fact that it came that close to the wire must have been hard for the producers. About to watch the reunion episode, so maybe they cover it more there.

Some good insights in the reunion episode, really interesting to see how much food each contestant was getting, that really puts some things into perspective. Its hard to tell just how much food is happening with the way the show is cut.

Last edited:
I think they visited Fowler the second time to get another read on his health before pulling the other contestant. It seemed a very close decision ultimately. Neither of the last two contestants were going to last much longer.

My other read on Alone 3 is that if you pick a reasonable location you can survive long term physically alone but humans are social creatures and ultimately they need other people. Add some additional tools (way to procure larger game) and the body weight (fat) issue may well have been negated.

yep. Best season so far.

Feel bad for the contestants that got puled out due to weight loss. But it shows how competitive it got.

Wonder what Fowler's BMI was.

Anyone else feels like the other contestant deserved a second chance? She seemed in control and not overly starved like Dave....and only 0.2 below 17 BMI...

I believe that she certainly deserves another chance or because it was so close there should be compensation. I would like to money for the top 3. The producers get a free cast and recording personnel all in one. In the reunion episode I felt in my opinion that her eyes and heart she had more in the tank. I know the producers do not want the liability of death or permanent organ damage so they make a judgement call. But 87 days without getting something just doesn't seem fair. Just my opinion for what it's worth. I did like the setting and cast.

There can only be one! I am so glad Fowler won, I was cheering for him first and Megan second but she tapped and left me with my top choice in the game.

I believe that she certainly deserves another chance or because it was so close there should be compensation. I would like to money for the top 3.

Not a bad idea in this particular case. I doubt she would be willing to put herself through that again. I think it will take years to fully recover from this ordeal for the last few contestants. The tooth ache was a downer. It could have happened on Day 10 as easily as later. Nothing quite as painful.

I wonder how the contestants feel about their choices of the 10 items now. The main thing I see as a potential is the desire to have the tools to score red meat safely.

I think if the producers pull you they need to pay. If you tap then no pay. Not necessarily the top 3

The think is, if they know that going in, then there will be those who will risk far more just to get the crying towel prize, and if the doc doesn't guess right, they might end up far closer to the edge than they otherwise would. I agree that she should get something, but with the way that it went down, I'm sure she will be able to pull a decent book deal at the very least.

I enjoyed watching current season and glad that Fowler won.

I would like to see one where they have more time in better weather to prepare. I understand that the show appears produced to wrap in 3 months, but I really think if they had most of the summer to build supplies and a larder it would have turned out different.

The premise is Alone, not starvation so let's let them be a successful as possible so they have to be Alone.

Just my 2 cents.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Is there going to be a Season 4? I would assume so since in the reunion show. It was probably the best show other than the last regular episode. I kind of got bored about midway through the season and skipped a few weeks. Nothing was happening....

I think few realized just how much starvation these contestants were going though. When Fowler mentioned he hadn't caught a fish in something like 10 days, you can bet he had hardly eaten anything during that time period.

Back